Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14451874 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #6285 on: March 09, 2012, 10:06:14 am »

Lenny never would have survived in prison, George was just protecting him.

Yes; true. It's actually incredibly hard to get the insanity defense; when you do, people assume you're faking. Tutored a friend in writing her report about how we killed Lenny via neglect for his ... "specialness."

The joke was, of course,
"O my God, you killed Lenny."
"You bastard!"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:08:40 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Twi

• Bay Watcher
  • ✨heterotemporality✨
    • View Profile
« Reply #6286 on: March 09, 2012, 10:07:54 am »

It really didn't seem like he would have gotten to prison in the first place, but no, he wouldn't have.

Like I said, this novel is sad.

Yes; true. It's actually incredibly hard to get the insanity defense; when you do, people assume you're faking. Tutored a friend in writing her report about how we killed Lenny via neglect for his ... "specialness."

The joke was, of course,
"O my God, you killed Lenny."
"You bastard!"

:P

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: March 09, 2012, 10:09:19 am »

It really didn't seem like he would have gotten to prison in the first place, but no, he wouldn't have.
Actually, yeah. He would have been lynched by the angry crowd.
*Hugs*

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6288 on: March 09, 2012, 10:17:39 am »

And short. I'm sorry, I just can't help it. I like novels to be at least a good 300 pages long.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6289 on: March 09, 2012, 10:31:25 am »

Per book.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6290 on: March 09, 2012, 10:33:36 am »

And short. I'm sorry, I just can't help it. I like novels to be at least a good 300 pages long.
You like it with a little more, mm... length to it, eh? Makes you feel a bit more satisfied and fulfilled at the end, keeps your attention for longer...

I hear you, brother. All the skill in the world doesn't help if it lasts ten minutes. Cute distraction, but no real meat.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6291 on: March 09, 2012, 10:36:11 am »

The Catcher in the Rye: 224 pages
Slaughterhouse-Five: 215 pages
Animal Farm: 140 pages
The Old Man and the Sea: 128 pages

I think writers just used to be better at being concise. If you need 7 books and 2000 pages to tell your story, it's probably not because it's an epic story on par with War and Peace or The Lord of the Rings, but rather because you suck as a writer.

You like it with a little more, mm... length to it, eh? Makes you feel a bit more satisfied and fulfilled at the end, keeps your attention for longer...

I hear you, brother. All the skill in the world doesn't help if it lasts ten minutes. Cute distraction, but no real meat.
....we're not talking about books anymore, are we?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #6292 on: March 09, 2012, 10:37:29 am »

....we're not talking about books anymore, are we?
Books can be sexy, too.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: March 09, 2012, 10:48:36 am »

I think writers just used to be better at being concise.

Yes. Usually. Also readers today don't get subtext and want it spelled out, or think it's all dirty. Rather than reading more; read more into it. Say more in a paragraph than a whole page. Especially related to other paragraphs and parts of the story. Quality over quantity?
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6294 on: March 09, 2012, 12:52:55 pm »

On a somewhat related note: my International Affairs professor set a maximum length of 1 page for our policy stance papers, with minimum 1-inch margins and 12 point text, to force us to condense and express our arguments properly instead of spreading them over a dozen pages of bullshit. Entire class full of 3rd and 4th year students whines about that not being enough space. I think I love this man.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6295 on: March 09, 2012, 01:25:28 pm »

Good man. I had profs that did the same thing. Actually, what they did was for every academic paper we did, we had to have a 2-5 page "Summary Abstract" (a report to summarize your report), and a 1-page Executive Summary (a report to summarize the summary of your report, written for people who aren't academics). It's painful, but I had one professor who said, "Imagine I'm the President. I have all of two minutes to devote to what you're telling me. You need to explain to me in the first paragraph why I should give a single fuck what you have to say."  :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:35:15 pm by RedKing »

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #6296 on: March 09, 2012, 01:32:29 pm »

I know it would take up valuable space, but I'd have to open at least one paper with a request for Secret Service protection.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6297 on: March 09, 2012, 03:47:09 pm »

Actually I'm wondering if they didn't just double space those books. Also, if you think writers used to be concise in the olden days, tell that to Herman Melville. Moby Dick is not a concise book.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: March 09, 2012, 04:55:17 pm »

It varies from writer to writer. Example: James Fenimore Cooper. I hate him so much....

One chapter: three pages of dialogue. Next chapter: Twenty-five pages of description of the setting. Next chapter: Four pages of dialgoue and one page of action. Next-chapter: Fifteen pages of description of a new character. Repeat until reader is left wanting to turn "Last of the Mohicans" into "No More Mohicans".

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: March 09, 2012, 04:58:54 pm »

I prided myself on reading old skool texts like Dumas' the Three Musketeers, Count of Monte Cristo ect.... at any early age. And I couldn't even put a dent in Last of the Mohicans. It's so freaking densely written and structured so strangely, you have to enjoy self-mutilation on some level to finish it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: 1 ... 418 419 [420] 421 422 ... 11040