Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14458202 times)

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #5130 on: February 15, 2012, 06:10:46 pm »

You can fly with the old man in the wheelchair. But my WTF is that hobo dude is usually on the screen, not effective shopper.

And she has since vanished o.O
*Hugs*

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #5131 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:22 pm »

I would guess people don't like Monosodium glutamate because of the artificial sounding name; just like those who are against Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Just like many people won't buy 'Irradiated' food, but who doesn't own a microwave oven?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #5132 on: February 15, 2012, 07:27:46 pm »

Didn't someone manage to get up enough signatures to put an amendment on a state ballot banning dihydrogen monoxide once, or something along those lines? Or is that just one of the urban legend type things?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5133 on: February 15, 2012, 07:27:59 pm »

I would guess people don't like Monosodium glutamate because of the artificial sounding name; just like those who are against Dihydrogen Monoxide.

Just like many people won't buy 'Irradiated' food, but who doesn't own a microwave oven?
Microwave oven

Gamma ray emitter

totally the same ::)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5134 on: February 15, 2012, 07:33:39 pm »

Didn't someone manage to get up enough signatures to put an amendment on a state ballot banning dihydrogen monoxide once, or something along those lines? Or is that just one of the urban legend type things?

I know Penn & Teller passed around a petition at some sort of environmentalist rally once, cherry-picked all the dumbest looking people who went ahead and signed the thing on camera to put on their show, and were like "Look how stupid environmentalists are!"
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #5135 on: February 15, 2012, 08:02:01 pm »

Microwave oven

Gamma ray emitter

Still shoots out radiation, Tellemurius.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #5136 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07:38 pm »

I have legit, storebought DVDs of all 6 Star Wars Movies. One of them, Episode II, seems to be freezing on me randomly during the arena fight, which is one of the better parts of that movie. The disk itself can't be more than 3 years old and this just pisses me off. I know that thing was probably $20 brand new and now it's just decided to konk out on me.... I am astonished that They even make/sell DVDs anymore and am sickened by the lack of progress to transitioning away from physical media. I'm beginning to understand why people pirate crap now. Feh....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5137 on: February 15, 2012, 08:13:47 pm »

Microwave oven

Gamma ray emitter

Still shoots out radiation, Tellemurius.
Different kinds of radiation. Microwaves cause water molecules to vibrate faster, thus heating up the food. Microwaves are nothing you want to get in the way of (or be inside of), but that's more because they'll cook you rather than mutate your DNA. A gamma ray emitter (and I'm making this assumption based on the name) emits gamma rays, which are the nasty radiation that require lead sheets to block. Gamma radiation is what causes those lovely pictures of radiation sickness.

ETA: To clarify, the primary difference between the two is that microwaves are non-ionizing radiation while gamma rays are ionizing. What this boils down to is that gamma rays can cause chemical changes in whatever they hit, while microwaves do not.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 08:32:52 pm by Sirus »
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Ogdibus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5138 on: February 15, 2012, 08:19:32 pm »

« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 08:05:35 am by Ogdibus »

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5139 on: February 15, 2012, 08:26:06 pm »

I have legit, storebought DVDs of all 6 Star Wars Movies. One of them, Episode II, seems to be freezing on me randomly during the arena fight, which is one of the better parts of that movie. The disk itself can't be more than 3 years old and this just pisses me off. I know that thing was probably $20 brand new and now it's just decided to konk out on me.... I am astonished that They even make/sell DVDs anymore and am sickened by the lack of progress to transitioning away from physical media. I'm beginning to understand why people pirate crap now. Feh....
I wouldn't be suprised if it was engineered obsolescence.  Not only do businesses sell you crap that's made to break in three years, so that you have to buy new ones on a regular basis,  the resulting frustration can cause you to break more things, thus multiplying the effect.
Eh, I don't really buy the whole planned obsolescence thing. My house is filled with electronics and appliances, some over a decade old. My car is literally older than I am. Almost all of them still work, even my VCR.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5140 on: February 15, 2012, 08:52:58 pm »

I wouldn't be suprised if it was engineered obsolescence.  Not only do businesses sell you crap that's made to break in three years, so that you have to buy new ones on a regular basis,  the resulting frustration can cause you to break more things, thus multiplying the effect.
Eh, I don't really buy the whole planned obsolescence thing. My house is filled with electronics and appliances, some over a decade old. My car is literally older than I am. Almost all of them still work, even my VCR.

It's absolutely something that companies have done.  It's not a universal practice, but it is a common one.  Designing stuff to break within a certain time frame is not the only way it's done, either.  For example, intentionally releasing advances in technology in drawn out iterations that are incompatible with one another (arbitrarily altering the required connections and such) is another way of doing it.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5141 on: February 15, 2012, 09:00:54 pm »

Now, the changed connections thing I can buy. Old TV has 3 RDI inputs. New TV has 3 HDMI and a single component input. Low definition options are significantly reduced on the new TV, and of course the old one can't do HD at all.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #5142 on: February 15, 2012, 09:36:30 pm »

Now, the changed connections thing I can buy. Old TV has 3 RDI inputs. New TV has 3 HDMI and a single component input. Low definition options are significantly reduced on the new TV, and of course the old one can't do HD at all.

Yeah, that thing about products having a timed breaking point shortly after the warranty wears out was most common 40 - 60 years ago.  The same thing is accomplished by less obvious means these days.  Stuff is still designed to break like that, though.  Usually cheap stuff that people won't make a fuss about. 

Most glaring modern example -- ink cartridges.  The chips on most of them are designed to prevent printer operation and demand that you buy new ink cartridges, even when there's still plenty of ink left.  They'll trigger when one cartridge out of the whole set gets low, even if you're not actually using that color, or run a timer that will claim the cartridge is empty after the timer runs out.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5143 on: February 15, 2012, 09:41:26 pm »

It wasn't I that went WTF, but I was the direct cause of several today. It seems wearing a chainmail haubrerk attracts attention.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5144 on: February 15, 2012, 09:56:18 pm »

It wasn't I that went WTF, but I was the direct cause of several today. It seems wearing a chainmail haubrerk attracts attention.
You know that we have a photo share thread, right?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 341 342 [343] 344 345 ... 11040