Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14475897 times)

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #2655 on: November 19, 2011, 01:37:14 am »

There are numerous funky laws when it comes to bringing fruit and vegetables across the country's border. Maybe they're afraid of people smuggling tomatoes across on top of pizzas.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Zaerosz

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼sperm whale leather thong☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #2656 on: November 19, 2011, 02:15:45 am »

>tomato = fruit
>tomato paste = vegetable
>therefore pizza = vegetable

i don't even
くコ:彡

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: November 19, 2011, 03:34:22 am »

In the same bill, public schools were required to include french fries in their lunches at some point each week. So much for healthy lunches, I guess. Maybe if the schools use straight-up potato sticks?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: November 19, 2011, 03:39:48 am »

Well either way school lunches will be terrible regardless of how healthy they are.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2659 on: November 19, 2011, 03:50:55 am »

If the meat is grey,
Turn thyself away.
Ye who would partake,
Of that awful cake,
Must be aware,
Of pains you will bear.

Boiled, mashed, ground up,
Oh this paste and goo,
Upon this you sup,
This painful, evil brew.

I would go on, but I'm tired.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: November 19, 2011, 07:28:05 am »

So containing a vegetable product makes something a vegetable?
So if you eat a carrot, you're a vegetable.

Seems reasonable.
*Hugs*

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: November 19, 2011, 07:43:01 am »

So if you eat a carrot, you're a vegetable.

Seems reasonable.

Well, if you insist you're not an animal, and you're clearly not a mineral.... :) :P
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2662 on: November 19, 2011, 07:44:52 am »

It counts as a serving of vegetables (previously the quantity of tomato sauce was considered insufficient to qualify). Kinda hearkens back to the Reagan administration's attempt to get ketchup reclassified as a vegetable, for pretty much the same reasons -- so schools can be cheapo on the food. (And as a kickback to the various food lobbies, like the potato lobby demanding that french fries be a staple, and the tomato lobby w/ the pizza thing).

It's really sad, because I remember my lunches in elementary school were pretty awesome. They actually cooked everything there, and there was a lot of local potatos, green beans, corn, etc. on the menu. Not a whole lot of processed stuff.

When I got to middle school, it was like "what the hell is this crap?" The only way you could eat a slice of the pizza was to grab a handful of napkins, lay them on the slice and try to squeeze as much of the oil out of it as you could first. Which would then leave you with a slab of dried out translucent material that vaguely resembled cheese. But at least it didn't give you the runs.

What really pisses me off is the political bullshittery that gets used to pass garbage like this. The Republicans railed about "nanny state liberals telling YOUR child what to eat, and taking away American staples like pizza and French fries". Yes, and they're also trying to cut down on the new American staple of children that look like Weeble Wobbles.   ::)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: November 19, 2011, 07:56:00 am »

Thank you RedKing. Truly, honestly. Thank you. :)
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: November 19, 2011, 08:45:47 am »

Oh so this is where this discussion is. I was looking for it in the progressive rage thread, and was surprised to see it wasn't there. :P

Article I found on it

My favourite quote:

...Under a proposed rule, a vegetable serving of tomato paste would have to be a whole one half-cup serving, not two tablespoons, as it is now.

But, opponents of the rule argued, that would render a slice of pizza inedible. “It would basically be swimming in tomato sauce,” said Corey Henry, vice president of communications at the American Frozen Food Institute. “No school kid in his right mind would want to eat that.”...

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: November 19, 2011, 08:52:49 am »

What are they going to do next? Subsidize the growing of piza trees?

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: November 19, 2011, 09:08:01 am »

Don't get me started on food and agricultural policy in this country. It's ridiculous. The same industrialization and corporatization that allows us to grow vast amounts of food is also killing us and distorting the marketplace in the way that is usually reserved for small Third World nations. Commodity farming is treated preferentially to diversity farming, with negative implications. Not only are all fruits and vegetables ineligible for Federal subsidy, but if you're a commodity farmer who also grows some fruits and veggies on the side, you cannot sell any of those or else you lose your entire Federal subsidy. In fact, if you even just grow too many for personal use or to give away, you can lose your subsidy.

FYI: The justification is that it's unfair competition. Non-commodity crops often have greater price volatility. If you're a subsidized rice farmer in Mississippi and there's a bad frost in Florida, it would make economic sense to maybe plant some orange trees because you know the sale price of oranges is going to be high because the Florida crop was hit hard. Doing so, it's argued, is unfair to the non-subsidized orange farmer in Florida. I understand the argument but the end result is insane. We're punishing people for growing more food and engaging in free enterprise that would actually help level out the prices by responding to a supply shortage. It's also interesting (and bitterly ironic) that the people lobbying the hardest to prevent more farmers from growing fruits and vegetables....are the fruit and vegetable lobbies. They want to maintain artificial scarcity to keep prices high.

I'll stop now, but this should be a Progressive Rage thread some time.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: November 19, 2011, 09:28:34 am »

In EU farmers are subsidised to produce smaller amounts of food.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Sir Finkus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2668 on: November 19, 2011, 09:33:05 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is all

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: November 19, 2011, 09:43:37 am »

In EU farmers are subsidised to produce smaller amounts of food.
EU ag policy is pretty equally f*cked-up. Such as supporting the banana industries in the French d'outre-mer and shunning bananas from other South American countries. My European politics professor (a German) had an awesome rant about the "damn French and their stubby little bananas"  :P

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That is all
Hairway to Steven?

Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 11037