Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2600 2601 [2602] 2603 2604 ... 11037

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14471701 times)

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #39015 on: October 20, 2013, 10:35:38 pm »

Oh. Shit.

Uhh... Ace, would you mind telling me what it is that you do for a living, so I can make a note to myself to never go into that profession?

I'm a freelance coder, engineer, and designer. Mostly the latter two. Most of my time is doing contract work for a custom design... (for lack of a better word) conglomerate that makes stuff for crazy rich silicon valley moguls. I also build UAVs for survey and areal photography. Aaand I also flip cars on occasion.

But the turbo incident was with my own car. There are a few things you shouldn't ever do. Don't go under a car when it's running. Don't go under a car just supported by its own raised air suspension. Especially don't do either of those with the protective skidplates removed. I... did. And thus was shot by a little 100,000 RPM centrifugal gatling gun.

On the discussion of horror movies. Most of them suck imho, because they're so straightforward and in-your-face. And arbitrary. I wish there were more psychological horror movies where you know just as much as the (realistically acting) characters do. Stuff that plays with how much you like the characters just seems quite silly to me.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39016 on: October 20, 2013, 10:38:43 pm »

Gravity was sort of scary. Mostly because it was really sad when the guy died and I realized the rest of the movie would just be Bullock (is that her name? I don't really care enough to find out, honestly). Then he came back, and things were happy for like five minutes.

That's a little different than what you're talking about, but I just like to hear myself talk.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39017 on: October 20, 2013, 10:43:35 pm »

Gravity was sort of scary. Mostly because it was really sad when the guy died and I realized the rest of the movie would just be Bullock (is that her name? I don't really care enough to find out, honestly). Then he came back, and things were happy for like five minutes.

That's a little different than what you're talking about, but I just like to hear myself talk.

Gravity was unexpectedly good. I was expecting it to be some BS movie about the dangers of space with terrible movie physics & stuff. But I was pleasantly surprised.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #39018 on: October 20, 2013, 10:51:54 pm »

I don't care if a movie gives me three hours of mild interest and mild boredom if, in the fifteen minutes afterwards in which I think about it, I slowly realize that that movie was fucking terrifying and it makes me want to curl up in a ball in bed and sob for an hour before falling asleep, which only gives me horrible, horrible nightmares and I wake up screaming.

Unfortunately, nothing like that quite exists yet.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39019 on: October 20, 2013, 10:53:18 pm »

I don't care if a movie gives me three hours of mild interest and mild boredom if, in the fifteen minutes afterwards in which I think about it, I slowly realize that that movie was fucking terrifying and it makes me want to curl up in a ball in bed and sob for an hour before falling asleep, which only gives me horrible, horrible nightmares and I wake up screaming.

Unfortunately, nothing like that quite exists yet.

^^^

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39020 on: October 20, 2013, 10:58:31 pm »

I am rather easy to scare and am, RIGHT HOW AT LEAST, not really into anything too morose or dark (mostly because I don't want to be brought down, but this will pass.).

So ALL horror movies are scary to me... but there is more to a good horror, in my mind, then being scared.

Which for someone like me who is scared by just about everything and needed to teach myself not to be scared of ALL jumpscares... who has a bunch of horror games he will NEVER finish... would be something logical for me to come up with.

Which is why "Love us as we kill these annoying people" genre of horror is not appealing to me at all.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39021 on: October 20, 2013, 11:01:07 pm »

The only horror I've found I like is existential horror.

Gore and jump scares are just like... They get a reaction out of me, but it's not a pleasant reaction. Either in the moment or in the adrenaline rush and calm-down afterwards.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39022 on: October 20, 2013, 11:10:29 pm »

The only horror I've found I like is existential horror.

Gore and jump scares are just like... They get a reaction out of me, but it's not a pleasant reaction. Either in the moment or in the adrenaline rush and calm-down afterwards.
I'm not a big fan of existential horror, just because I can get that by sitting down and asking myself how I am capable of perceiving things and thinking with a brain dictated by the start conditions of the universe and still have free will.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39023 on: October 20, 2013, 11:13:05 pm »

I think all horror has its uses if it is executed correctly.

Which I think it is mostly that horror needs to use its... well... horror as a means to execute its story.

The reason why Jump scares tend to almost always be flat is because they are meant to create a false tension that the audience will immediately discover. Yet even this can be executed well.

The reason why they are executed badly is because a lot of horror goes by the credo "If it jumps you, it was truly scary"... and in a few ways they are right. The Jump scare is the easiest scare to do and get people to jump.

In otherwords Jump Scares are the junk food of horror. Sure you are eating something, but you will probably feel sick afterwards.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 11:16:41 pm by Neonivek »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #39024 on: October 20, 2013, 11:36:07 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfgoDDh4kE0
Their game effectively failed and they take out the most critical review of their game. This made ask does the company/ceo have a career death wish? I just don't understand the logic behind it.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #39025 on: October 20, 2013, 11:41:19 pm »

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39026 on: October 20, 2013, 11:56:57 pm »

Apparently, I slept for 14 hours. Through the sound of a bloody alarm clock.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

anzki4

• Bay Watcher
  • On the wings of maybe
    • View Profile
« Reply #39027 on: October 21, 2013, 12:03:02 am »

Apparently, I slept for 14 hours. Through the sound of a bloody alarm clock.
My sleep cycle has been pretty much reversed for about a week now. I go to sleep somewhere around 7-10 and wake up at 16-18.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39028 on: October 21, 2013, 12:30:19 am »

Horror is just not my genre. I can't do gore, not even a little- never watched Smallville because that got a bit messy in parts, and that's frigging Superman. I'm horribly susceptible to jump scares even if I see them coming, and existential horror knocks me on my ass. Donnie Darko? Yeah, that one played on my second phobia, that of schizophrenia.

Despite that, I've several horror games and an almost-full collection of Stephen King novels. King's just good and being able to control, at least partially, the horror makes it infinitely more appealing.

Still, I can't sit down and play, say, Cry of Fear for longer than even half an hour. It may look like it fell out the first Half-Life's ass, but that just makes it all the more uncanny.

I don't like horror movies, or any movies with gore (I have seen Watchmen and Sin City though. Closed my eyes. :P) On the other hand, I do rather enjoy horror video games. I put it up to me being in control of things as opposed to a movie where I'm just sitting there. Plus I'm much more familiar with the medium of games then I am with movies.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #39029 on: October 21, 2013, 02:13:24 am »

Ticks (and other parasitic creatures) are one of my two phobias. Nothing perturbs me more than finding a tick (or several! D: ), which gives me great reason not to go outside. Nature hikes are nice and all, but... Nooooo.

I think I had mites on my hands once when I was younger after my siblings and I went on a hike with my dad. We got home, I looked at my hands, and I flipped biscuits, screaming and hollering towards the bathroom. I don't remember what happened after I got to the sink, now that I think back to it.

Ah, childhood.

External parasites aren't that bad.

Imagine white, featureless worms, making their way into your lungs to shed their skin, then returning the way they came - meaning through your own fucking VEINS, into the intensine to screw and make more of themselves.

Imagine a sac filled with babby parasites, sitting somewhere in your body, waiting for the right - or wrong - moment to burst and release tonnes of them like some kind of a baby-boomer chestburster. And that's assuming the sac isn't lodged in your brain, in which case... well...

Those aren't completely random examples - I've had both. And to the latter I owe a foot-long scar just under my ribcage.

Oh yeah, @ticks, Vaseline and booze is not really a good idea, guys. Unlike some people here said, when the tick vants to suck your bhlood, he generally doesn't do it on an equivalent exchange 'here, have some of my crap' basis. Even if some of it gets to your bloodstream, you still have a good chance of not getting an infection.

On the other hand, when you apply alcohol, Vaseline, butter, and whatever else people came up with, they panic and vomit. Into your bloodstream. Along with all the other blood they happened to have in themselves. That's how the infection generally transmits.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 2600 2601 [2602] 2603 2604 ... 11037