Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2518 2519 [2520] 2521 2522 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14441518 times)

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #37785 on: September 21, 2013, 03:41:22 pm »

http://www.allfunandgames.ca/brain/logicalthinking.shtml

Logic test.

I got 9/10.  Last question I got wrong.

8/10

Didn't check which ones I got wrong sadly.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37786 on: September 21, 2013, 04:58:43 pm »

9/10
The one I got wrong was me assuming correlation=causation. Like the silly goose that I am.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37787 on: September 21, 2013, 05:31:39 pm »

9/10

I guess "either you are in philadelphia or new york" is given as true

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37788 on: September 21, 2013, 05:35:23 pm »

So I was looking on Youtube and on the recommended videos was one called "Super horse mating with female donkey". What the fuck is a "super horse"?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37789 on: September 21, 2013, 06:07:04 pm »

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37790 on: September 21, 2013, 06:10:16 pm »

Premises:
Whenever Drug Y is administered, the patient gets better.
Whenever Drug Y is not administered, the patient does not get better.

Conclusion:
Drug Y causes the patient to get better.   

Supposed correct answer:
False.

I believe it is true. The test is claiming I'm using a correlation = causation fallacy, but I'm not given the wording of the premises. If we assume the premises are 100% true, then in no situation can the patient get better without taking the drug. And in every situation the drug is taken, the patient gets better. This means without a doubt that the drug causes them to get better, even if it's indirectly so as a catalyst for something else.

Inductive reasoning, bitches. It works.

I hope I can explain why with 'logic' and the specific wording, the answer should be false.

Keep in mind, with logic you look purely at the sentence structure and definitions given, without any added information.  That added information is something of a cognative bias - remember that in logic puzzles such as this, you can replace the details with anything, and if you're doing it right, you'll still have the same answers.

In this case, the details are 'drug Y is/is not administered' and 'the patient gets better/does not get better'.

Whenever A, B.
Whenever not A, not B.
A causes B.
- this is false.

Here's a few (hopefully more) clear examples of why this logic does not follow -

Whenever someone wakes up, they want to relieve their bladder.
Whenever someone doesn't wake up, they don't want to relieve their bladder.
Waking up causes someone to want to relieve their bladder.
  (Sleeping, someone wants to stay asleep.  A full bladder may wake a person, but the bladder did not fill because someone woke up)

Whenever a Catholic is given last rites, the person dies soon from an expected cause.
Whenever a Catholic is not given last rites, the person does not die soon from an expected cause.
Giving a Catholic last rights causes the person to die soon from an expected cause.
(Last rites, if given, are a reaction to the observed process of dying.  This process is independent of the last rights, and withholding them when they would be given cannot save a life, nor will giving them to a person not about to die cause their death)

Using A as giving a drug or not and B as getting better or not is especially entrapping in this form of logic test - humans DEEPLY believe in the power of drugs to cure... to the point of making placebos work.
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37791 on: September 21, 2013, 06:15:32 pm »

super-girl's pet
Superheroes with super-strength must have to avoid having sexual relations. Ever.
Superhorses too I guess. In fact, especially super-horses.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 06:26:30 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37792 on: September 21, 2013, 06:29:18 pm »

So I was looking on Youtube and on the recommended videos was one called "Super horse mating with female donkey". What the fuck is a "super horse"?

The better question is why do you have horse mating videos on your Youtube recommendations list?
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37793 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:26 pm »

The better question is why do you have horse mating videos on your Youtube recommendations list?
I can only shrug. It was a recommendation from a WeeblsStuff video if that counts for anything.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37794 on: September 21, 2013, 06:32:33 pm »

Probably the same reason I have some 'Annoying Orange' series on my recommendation list.  Because Youtube hates us.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MadMalkavian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37795 on: September 21, 2013, 06:34:35 pm »

I can only shrug. It was a recommendation from a WeeblsStuff video if that counts for anything.

Was it the one about someone's horse being amazing and tasting like raisins? That one is pretty catchy.

Probably the same reason I have some 'Annoying Orange' series on my recommendation list.  Because Youtube hates us.

I don't get anything like that at all. In fact all of the recommendations I get are related to video games, Let's Plays, and on some occasions the news. It's kind of nice.
Warning: Subject may be antisocial and may not synchronize well with humans. Approach cordially and with caution or not at all.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #37796 on: September 21, 2013, 06:38:44 pm »

If you get Pewdiepie recommends (and you almost certainly do), YT hates you.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #37797 on: September 21, 2013, 06:39:46 pm »

Other
If you get Pewdiepie recommends (and you almost certainly do), YT hates you.  :P

Other forums have a 'thank you' feature.  This post proves we need one.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37798 on: September 21, 2013, 06:44:53 pm »

super-girl's pet
Superheroes with super-strength must have to avoid having sexual relations. Ever.
Superhorses too I guess. In fact, especially super-horses.

Heh. Reminds me of 'Man of steel, woman of Kleenex'. Yes, there's a whole essay on the subject. :v

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37799 on: September 21, 2013, 06:47:23 pm »

Eeeeeh he's a bit of a mix of guilty pleasure and my pseudo sadism.

Sooooo I don't mind those recommends, it's rant videos that have no justification.

WTF for today: Contemplating if I should hook my bro up with an account here so he can find interesting games/get feedback on games that have threads here without him having to bug me. Figure the WTF thing out for yourselves :P
Pages: 1 ... 2518 2519 [2520] 2521 2522 ... 11040