Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10798 10799 [10800] 10801 10802 ... 11041

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14573581 times)

dragdeler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #161985 on: March 04, 2023, 10:37:39 am »

Pff you really think chinese comes before the other balkan languages?

Albanian
Balkan, rest
Chinese

That's why the chinese don't use our alphabet, they consider it offensive.
let

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161986 on: March 04, 2023, 12:17:04 pm »

Surely its Wakandan > Albanian

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #161987 on: March 04, 2023, 03:11:42 pm »

I was just recently reminded that I used to borderline love this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VM_jTvGfwQ&list=OLAK5uy_nN0WglAZwCpM9PDQyXcbwLKMh6Y5lLpIM&index=2

And Im only a little concerned I'll discover its gauche trash if I listen again.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161988 on: March 04, 2023, 10:14:29 pm »

Was messing around with a solo game of 2.5e Car Wars.  Its a tabletop game of car combat that's frankly so complex only an autistic person like me could like it.  The local used book store had a treasure trove of old ADQ magazines for it which led to me fucking with it today in table sim.

Anyways, I know its like 30 years old but the old black-n-green compendium rules are kinda shoddily written.  The target mods really should've had their signs swapped; you start with a target number based on the gun in question, and modify that target from there, but the modifiers are written as if your modding the die roll instead of the number you're looking for.  It's also hard as hell to hit anything but that's another story.

The real wild goose chase was part of the rules for collisions.  I knew that vehicles with metal armor took collision damage differently, but couldn't for the life of me find where in the book it tells you that.

1) The actual section on collisions don't mention it.  Collisions in Car Wars are a "grappling in RPGs" level of rules snafus, its several charts and rules procedures nearly guaranteed to grind a game to a halt.  Basically, the relative speed and weight of each party is a factor, in addition to who hit who where, such that head-on, t-bone, and sideswipe collisions have their own list of procedures.  The section's actually quite short, but dense.  What actually matters is, metal armor isn't mentioned at all here.  In fact in a post "after this problem" reading, the rules for collision damage isn't actually here at all.  You'll get your damage value but not actually how to apply it to your vehicle, at least beyond ticking off (plastic) armor on the side and an optional crew stunning mechanic.  Incidentally, neither relevant equipment to ramming, ram plates or bumper spikes, get a mention here either.

2) The section on metal armor in the car construction rules doesn't mention it either.  It mentions all the other benefits of metal armor, how it works for shooting attacks (which is an entire different mechanic), plus the obvious construction parts such as weight and cost.  Nothing about collision damage.  I checked the ram plate section as well but it's just the rules for the ram plate, which admittedly doesn't need metal armor to work.  (it helps, tho)

3) The book's index doesn't work, checking both "collision" and "metal armor" listings sends you to a random page of boat movement.  I'll probably never make use of the boat rules...

4) I checked the "catalogue from hell" book, a compilation of all the construction rules and options, the metal armor section is identical to the main compendium.  So no mention of collision damage for metal armor there either.

5) My last hail mary was to dig out the reprint I have of the Classic Car Wars box.  It's rule book has a working index.

Collision damage is a part of the damage section of the combat chapter, basically the tail end of the rules for shooting people.  In addition to the rest of how collision damage is applied (if it bypasses armor, all exposed components get damaged equally instead of hitting one) here and only here is the rule for metal armor.  It absorbs 3 times the impact damage and you can only lose up to half of it from a single impact.

Granted the truck in question rolled into the arena wall at 70 mph and took like 40+ damage totaling it instantly and actually running the numbers was a total waste of time but the rules search still annoyed the piss of me.

Though it is funny how this game takes place some 20 years from now but car tech never advanced beyond like 1970.  Radial tires are an upgrade, so are antilock brakes.  Rules-wise they handle like 70's shitboxes, taking corners at any real speed is a dangerous proposition without significant performance upgrades.  Acceleration is also quite shite, 0-60 is often 6-12 seconds.  Oddly gas engines default to fuel injection, carburetors are a separate downgrade that decreases engine cost (and power).  Actual body streamlining is also an upgrade, so I guess default car bodies are brick shaped.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161989 on: March 05, 2023, 09:17:30 pm »

I seem to have anxiety attacks when I'm having a private conversation with someone over the phone and things get steamy. I'm a) baffled when I've had perfectly normal relations with people before, steamy behavior isn't new, and b) exhausted. I don't think I have any trauma about this topic, but this is twice now that it's happened.

What the fuck, me?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #161990 on: March 05, 2023, 09:48:47 pm »

Was messing around with a solo game of 2.5e Car Wars.  Its a tabletop game of car combat that's frankly so complex only an autistic person like me could like it.  The local used book store had a treasure trove of old ADQ magazines for it which led to me fucking with it today in table sim.

Anyways, I know its like 30 years old but the old black-n-green compendium rules are kinda shoddily written.  The target mods really should've had their signs swapped; you start with a target number based on the gun in question, and modify that target from there, but the modifiers are written as if your modding the die roll instead of the number you're looking for.  It's also hard as hell to hit anything but that's another story.

The real wild goose chase was part of the rules for collisions.  I knew that vehicles with metal armor took collision damage differently, but couldn't for the life of me find where in the book it tells you that.

1) The actual section on collisions don't mention it.  Collisions in Car Wars are a "grappling in RPGs" level of rules snafus, its several charts and rules procedures nearly guaranteed to grind a game to a halt.  Basically, the relative speed and weight of each party is a factor, in addition to who hit who where, such that head-on, t-bone, and sideswipe collisions have their own list of procedures.  The section's actually quite short, but dense.  What actually matters is, metal armor isn't mentioned at all here.  In fact in a post "after this problem" reading, the rules for collision damage isn't actually here at all.  You'll get your damage value but not actually how to apply it to your vehicle, at least beyond ticking off (plastic) armor on the side and an optional crew stunning mechanic.  Incidentally, neither relevant equipment to ramming, ram plates or bumper spikes, get a mention here either.

2) The section on metal armor in the car construction rules doesn't mention it either.  It mentions all the other benefits of metal armor, how it works for shooting attacks (which is an entire different mechanic), plus the obvious construction parts such as weight and cost.  Nothing about collision damage.  I checked the ram plate section as well but it's just the rules for the ram plate, which admittedly doesn't need metal armor to work.  (it helps, tho)

3) The book's index doesn't work, checking both "collision" and "metal armor" listings sends you to a random page of boat movement.  I'll probably never make use of the boat rules...

4) I checked the "catalogue from hell" book, a compilation of all the construction rules and options, the metal armor section is identical to the main compendium.  So no mention of collision damage for metal armor there either.

5) My last hail mary was to dig out the reprint I have of the Classic Car Wars box.  It's rule book has a working index.

Collision damage is a part of the damage section of the combat chapter, basically the tail end of the rules for shooting people.  In addition to the rest of how collision damage is applied (if it bypasses armor, all exposed components get damaged equally instead of hitting one) here and only here is the rule for metal armor.  It absorbs 3 times the impact damage and you can only lose up to half of it from a single impact.

Granted the truck in question rolled into the arena wall at 70 mph and took like 40+ damage totaling it instantly and actually running the numbers was a total waste of time but the rules search still annoyed the piss of me.

Though it is funny how this game takes place some 20 years from now but car tech never advanced beyond like 1970.  Radial tires are an upgrade, so are antilock brakes.  Rules-wise they handle like 70's shitboxes, taking corners at any real speed is a dangerous proposition without significant performance upgrades.  Acceleration is also quite shite, 0-60 is often 6-12 seconds.  Oddly gas engines default to fuel injection, carburetors are a separate downgrade that decreases engine cost (and power).  Actual body streamlining is also an upgrade, so I guess default car bodies are brick shaped.
They made a video game based upon it in the 90s. Awesome concept, crazy implementation.

One could argue that no vehicles work in the Apocalypse newer than 1978 due to the lack of Electronics in the Wasteland...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161991 on: March 05, 2023, 09:50:00 pm »

Some dickhead professor made it into the newspapers here claiming that Chinese is the mother tongue of all languages, and - somehow - also claiming the actions of the Roman Empire as, therefore, inherently Chinese.
I'm surprised your surprised about that.  I thought people like that got metals and government grants in China.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #161992 on: March 05, 2023, 10:44:53 pm »

The state media is weird about these things. Most easily falsifiable stuff, such as this, won't actually be supported by the upper government (but local governments, which are widely corrupt, are always doing stupid stuff like handing out medals). The upper government and the state media have only a few things that are false or at least very debatable that they have a hardline stance on. Things like Traditional Chinese Medicine and the status/capacity of the military are big ones, but a few political things as well (Xinjiang, for example).

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #161993 on: March 05, 2023, 10:57:43 pm »

That reminds me of the reccuring "That's Indian" joke of the old bbc Goodness Gracious Me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hjWd9a8Ck8U

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #161994 on: March 05, 2023, 11:08:57 pm »

I seem to have anxiety attacks when I'm having a private conversation with someone over the phone and things get steamy. I'm a) baffled when I've had perfectly normal relations with people before, steamy behavior isn't new, and b) exhausted. I don't think I have any trauma about this topic, but this is twice now that it's happened.

What the fuck, me?

Probably just because trying to communicate over the phone is hellish, right?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161995 on: March 05, 2023, 11:24:22 pm »

One could argue that no vehicles work in the Apocalypse newer than 1978 due to the lack of Electronics in the Wasteland...
Car Wars's timeline branches off of the 70's oil crisis, basically the gas shortage never really ended.  Followed by a mass grain blight that eventually leads to the end of civilization as we know it, basically city-state fortress towns surrounded by vaguely more mad-max countryside.  The actual bulk of the game is focused on car combat as a sport; apparently somebody took a 50 cal into a demolition derby and the rest they say was history.  Actual civilized living isn't that bad for what it is, and the overall aesthetic is much cleaner than a mad max, most cars look more purpose built than scrap cobbled together.

So actually its more common for cars to be electric in the setting, in fact gas engines came later in the rules.  Electric being cheaper and faster in top speed, but heavy and slow acceleration.  Computers are in that "CRT future" where they're quite powerful but still very bulky.

Really the core reason cars act like 70s 80s cars is simply because the book was written back then, and they didn't really try to guess how cars would perform better "now."
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #161996 on: March 05, 2023, 11:26:13 pm »

Actual civilized living isn't that bad for what it is, and the overall aesthetic is much cleaner than a mad max, most cars look more purpose built than scrap cobbled together.

Car manufacturers offering weapons as factory options akin to power windows and air conditioning is an explicit part of the setting, even.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #161997 on: March 05, 2023, 11:33:54 pm »

What the fuck, me?

Probably just because trying to communicate over the phone is hellish, right?

Could be. I give a lot of credit to people who make long-distance relationships work. I'll notch it down at least for one more way that anxiety directly impacts my life, though.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161998 on: March 06, 2023, 11:11:27 pm »

I had more issues on the phone before a year-long job consisting of calling between 20-60 people a day and making them promotional offers.
It sucked, but it helped.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161999 on: March 07, 2023, 04:03:47 am »

I hate being on the phone even if I don't call people very often.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 10798 10799 [10800] 10801 10802 ... 11041