Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10584 10585 [10586] 10587 10588 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14561174 times)

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158775 on: November 24, 2021, 06:24:30 am »

I could never be bothered to remember I even had the potions, so I generally died with them on my belt.  Oops.
This happens to me in every game with items that can save your life, from CDDA to DCSS to Minecraft.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158776 on: November 24, 2021, 09:16:50 am »

I could never be bothered to remember I even had the potions, so I generally died with them on my belt.  Oops.
This happens to me in every game with items that can save your life, from CDDA to DCSS to Minecraft.
I actually did learn my lesson early with Chrono Trigger.  Learned to love the potions in that one, but they "trained" you early on it.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158777 on: November 24, 2021, 10:37:45 am »

Ahh ChronoTrigger...

I remember farming low level health restoratives (and cash) before even going into the telepod in the opening sequence, so that I would be properly equipped for a no-frustration run.
(Making a grind circuit of the guardia forest just south of Castle Guardia, and nuking all the Shitake mushroom monsters will net you positive restoratives, get Chrono some early SP for non-magic skills being unlocked early, and enough cash to splurge on the Lode Sword from Melchior. Game is then 'easymode coasting session' until you make it to the post-apocalypse era.)

If only there was a way to farm for magic and power tabs the same way...  Sure, spekkio will give you a magic tab if you beat him ONCE, but he refuses to be a proper dealer.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158778 on: November 24, 2021, 12:30:11 pm »

There's apparently a spot you can farm power tabs, actually. They're charmable from tubsters, and there's a room in black omen that will respawn one infinitely.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158779 on: November 24, 2021, 12:34:19 pm »

Interesting..

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158780 on: November 24, 2021, 03:13:14 pm »

I can't find the Europol thread at least on my first 5 pages of history... but I just saw something that suggested Germany wants to (succeeded in?) change the voting age to 16!?

W. T. F.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158781 on: November 24, 2021, 03:17:28 pm »

If anything voting age should be higher, everywhere.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158782 on: November 24, 2021, 04:44:53 pm »

I'd say lower, really. At least as low as whatever age your country's willing to try someone as an adult in a court of law (which stateside would be, like... twelve or something, maybe lower, ha) or allow them to emancipate or drive or whatever.

If your political system's so fucked up the minority of a minority of your population that would be represented by teens willing to vote is causing issue, you got bigger problems and might as well let them participate in the electoral system while it's still there :P
Ask not!
Ask!

Grim Portent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158783 on: November 24, 2021, 04:55:00 pm »

My preferred benchmark is 'can a person this age pay taxes?' if they can pay taxes, they should get a say in how those taxes get spent.

Not that an individual needs to be paying taxes to qualify to vote mind, more if the government would actually tax them if they had the income to meet a tax bracket.
There once was a dwarf in a cave,
who many would consider brave.
With a head like a block
he went out for a sock,
his ass I won't bother to save.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158784 on: November 24, 2021, 06:43:48 pm »

I guess I'm going to disagree there.

Children (and most adults, frankly) just don't have the emotional stability to vote based on anything other than emotion, and voting on emotion is not how I want any country's representatives decided, laws enacted, and laws enforced.
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158785 on: November 24, 2021, 07:00:24 pm »

My preferred benchmark is 'can a person this age pay taxes?' if they can pay taxes, they should get a say in how those taxes get spent.

Not that an individual needs to be paying taxes to qualify to vote mind, more if the government would actually tax them if they had the income to meet a tax bracket.
... I mean, anyone able to hand money to a cashier qualifies for that. Which I'm okay with (as long as you can prevent overt coercion, I'm honestly fine with just letting any citizen at a minimum vote that wants to -- youngins aren't going to be a major voting demographic for all the same reasons young adults are plus more, so where's the actual harm?), but sales taxes are a thing so the age minimum on that one is loooow :P

I guess I'm going to disagree there.

Children (and most adults, frankly) just don't have the emotional stability to vote based on anything other than emotion, and voting on emotion is not how I want any country's representatives decided, laws enacted, and laws enforced.
Yeah, you'd be talking about disenfranchising like... everyone, with that one. Young, elderly, pretty much every adult... there's not really a point in the human lifecycle our hormones or biological breakdown stop fucking with us super hard, y'know?

Maybe once a benevolent AI overlord takes over the world, heh.
Ask not!
Ask!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158786 on: November 24, 2021, 11:46:53 pm »

I can't find the Europol thread at least on my first 5 pages of history... but I just saw something that suggested Germany wants to (succeeded in?) change the voting age to 16!?

W. T. F.

Yeah, that was stupid.  They should have lowered it to 12.  Maybe then School wouldn't be Kid Jail.
What if....students at schools could vote out their school board?

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #158787 on: November 25, 2021, 02:56:57 am »

If they aren't old enough to drive, they shouldn't be allowed to vote. Whether it is 18 or 21. Children and early teenagers are too impulsive even compared to many adults. Yes it's probably ageism. Don't care.

W. T. F.

Yeah, that was stupid.  They should have lowered it to 12.  Maybe then School wouldn't be Kid Jail.
What if....students at schools could vote out their school board?
School's only purpose is education, not representation. All it would result in is worse education because kids are lazy and will vote out any competent (i.e strict) teachers, leaving only the chaff.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 03:06:10 am by MaxTheFox »
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #158788 on: November 25, 2021, 03:12:07 am »

Kids are fucking dumb. I was dumb when I was a kid and so were you. I wouldn't trust 16-year-old me to run my own bathroom, let alone vote.
Love, scriver~

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158789 on: November 25, 2021, 04:19:00 am »

Voting isn't about smarts, or emotions, or trust, or ability.  It's about representation.  Think about that.

If you don't engage people in meaningful politics while they are young, they think its bullshit and let the Bad People into government because they just don't know or care enough to fix it.

Let's go the other way....
Should the voting age be increased?
Should voting be restricted to those who pass a test?
Pages: 1 ... 10584 10585 [10586] 10587 10588 ... 11040