Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10582 10583 [10584] 10585 10586 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14560709 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158745 on: November 18, 2021, 08:22:42 am »

I walked into my dealership with a pre approved loan and a car in mind.

They were pretty unhappy, but I guess a sale is a sale
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158746 on: November 18, 2021, 10:12:12 am »

I only accept loans that have no prepayment penalty and where extra payments go to principal.  Then what you can do is if they don't like a huge down payment, take their loan with the smaller down payment, then on the first month pay what you would have paid as a down payment. This will dramatically reduce the remaining term and save a significant amount of interest.  This only works if you can afford a higher monthly payment:

Spoiler: math (click to show/hide)
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158747 on: November 18, 2021, 10:46:45 am »

Feeling we migth open an Adulting Thread, tips and advices for the padawans. Like that youtube channel of the guy that grew up without a dad and now teach everyone things like making your own home repairs or tying your tie.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158748 on: November 18, 2021, 11:04:50 am »

Why even take a loan if you can pay in full?

Payment in full: You pay X now. (X>0)

Taking a loan: For A+B=Y, and 0<C<1; A>=0; B>0; Y>0
You pay A now.
You pay B+C*B over several years.

The only way taking a loan seems better would be, if Y is significantly smaller than X.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158749 on: November 18, 2021, 11:10:03 am »

Because let say those 20k on McTraveller example is all you have in money (savings), you dont want to find yourself without a cushion, fall back money or whatever you want to call it in case of anything, an emergency, investement chance or whatever. Also is a way to build up a credit score by showing the banking clan you can commit to payments and blah blah blah...
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #158750 on: November 18, 2021, 12:02:28 pm »

Yeah, the point of taking a loan is financial flexibility so if something else happens, you're not depleted.

Currently that's not an issue for me, so really the argument is: could I keep the money I would otherwise pay out immediately in reserve by taking a loan. With a low enough interest rate it's like: "do I spend X so Y-X remains intact."

Truth is though I hate bills. I hate remembering to pay them, hate what missing payments does to your financial rep and I really don't like having to check my accounts every couple weeks to make sure I'm staying above board. Constantly looking at my margins gives me anxiety. I generally arrange my financials so my costs are fixed and I don't have to ever look at my accounts.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158751 on: November 18, 2021, 12:06:03 pm »

It's also for those who feel that they can make a better return on the sum than they'll pay in interest. Having liquid assets greatly increases your leverage in investments, which can potentially result in your own percentages looking better than the bank's.

To have a very simplified example, if you take out a 20k loan which will eventually result in a total of 30k being paid back to the bank, but in that same amount of time you can turn the 20k into 40k (or more), you obviously come out quite a bit ahead. If you'd paid the 20k out of pocket, you wouldn't have had that much money to invest and increase.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158752 on: November 19, 2021, 02:43:28 am »

I was looking forward to a nice full moon but there's a big chunk missing out of it WTF?

(Lunar eclipse maximizing around 4AM EDT.  I would have brought it up early but I was reminded last minute by some cool west-coast people.  There's just like... a chunk missing.)
(I hope I get to see the next solar eclipse, that was fucking WILD.)

Edit:  To be clear, that means the eclipse maximizes in roughly an hour from this edit.
Also jeez nenjin you really went above and beyond.  Good job.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2021, 02:45:20 am by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158753 on: November 19, 2021, 03:11:42 am »

That moment you discover that it isn't a lunar eclipse but is in fact a giant space worm eating the moon.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158754 on: November 19, 2021, 09:41:35 am »

I knew there was a lunar eclipse today. I thought it was at 2:47 or something, but looking at the data now, it maxed out 10:03 local time. So I could not watch it because I was at work, and because it was obstructed by the Earth.

Edit: And of course because I did not actually know the time, so if I had tried, I would have been tired for work and seen nothing but a regular full moon anyway.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158755 on: November 19, 2021, 04:23:32 pm »

Similar boat here. It would have peaked at around 3-4AM for me. My mother expressed disappointment that I didn't get up to watch. As the one person in the house with an actual full-time job, I don't have the luxury of getting up at 3AM. Then again, because of them I don't exactly have the goddamn luxury of sleeping at that time most nights either.

Seeing the big, full moon on the way to work was pretty, though.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158756 on: November 19, 2021, 11:48:55 pm »

I did not realize Louis Prima (the guy who made what Benny Goodman would base his version of Sing Sing Sing on) was the voice of King Louie in the original disney jungle book movie until just now. Several different things make a sudden amount of extra sense, from why his voice sounded familiar when I started digging more into swing music a few years back, to why the movie's music for that character is what it is, to why there's a number of swing/jazz covers for said music.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #158757 on: November 21, 2021, 10:38:14 pm »

Trying to make myself more comfortable with the prospect of joining a 3-day harvest feast, I considered bringing my rice-cooker and a handle of gin, and a bunch of rice and lentils and citrus.

Obviously I rejected that thought as edgy.  I'll be a guest in their liberal space.  I don't need to be making waves.

So why am I going...?

Their reactions two years ago when I joined in the feminine shaving discourse were exquisite.  That could be fun, particularly when I could leave at any time.  Or maybe... maybe I don't give them enough credit, and they acknowledge non-binary!  I had a cousin surprise me like that.  And this group, largely, has been pretty progressive for old people.

Fuck, there's the reason I'm going, isn't it?  To make it something inclusive, if it wants to be.

(oh but fuck the American turkey-holiday though.  No, this is just an extension of Halloween, a harvest-related festival in the dark months)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158758 on: November 22, 2021, 12:53:49 am »

Wisconsin had another thing happen.

A Christmas parade was interrupted when an SUV busted through the parade route barricades, milled around a bit, and then barreled through twenty, maybe thirty children and adults. Some are dead. Motives are presently unknown. I've gone shopping on that road. I've done marching band parades just like the one that got barreled through.

This one hits a little close to home.

This fucking state, man.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #158759 on: November 22, 2021, 01:00:42 am »

Yeah, just saw the same. Heart breaking - none of the 15 kids at the children's hospital have died, at least.

Don't know what's going on with Wisco, either. I used to be pretty happy to tell people I was from Wisconsin...
Pages: 1 ... 10582 10583 [10584] 10585 10586 ... 11040