Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10583 10584 [10585] 10586 10587 ... 11040

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14561756 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #158760 on: November 22, 2021, 09:49:16 am »

UK chinese food takeaway trivia:

The term "Chicken Maryland" or "Maryland Chicken" refers to a historic dish associated with the U.S. state of Maryland, but has other meanings from other nations. In its home base, the food dish consists of fried chicken served with a cream gravy.[1] It is traditionally garnished with bananas, which were historically one of Baltimore’s leading imports.[2]

In some Chinese restaurants in the United Kingdom (particularly in Scotland) Chicken Maryland can be found under the "European" or "British" section of the menu. It consists of a breaded, deep fried chicken breast served with a slice of bacon, a banana or pineapple fritter (or both) and chips.

so in scotland, they serve an american meal turned into a british dish, but it is only served in chinese restaurants.

makes sense, yes?

regional differences in imported cuisine is pretty amusing though. when i was in central america i found the chinese restaurants there were obsessed with adding pineapple and mango to every dish. it was pretty damn good, but different.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 09:53:48 am by Caz »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158761 on: November 22, 2021, 03:50:18 pm »

UK chinese food takeaway trivia:

The term "Chicken Maryland" or "Maryland Chicken" refers to a historic dish associated with the U.S. state of Maryland, but has other meanings from other nations. In its home base, the food dish consists of fried chicken served with a cream gravy.[1] It is traditionally garnished with bananas, which were historically one of Baltimore’s leading imports.[2]

In some Chinese restaurants in the United Kingdom (particularly in Scotland) Chicken Maryland can be found under the "European" or "British" section of the menu. It consists of a breaded, deep fried chicken breast served with a slice of bacon, a banana or pineapple fritter (or both) and chips.

so in scotland, they serve an american meal turned into a british dish, but it is only served in chinese restaurants.

makes sense, yes?

regional differences in imported cuisine is pretty amusing though. when i was in central america i found the chinese restaurants there were obsessed with adding pineapple and mango to every dish. it was pretty damn good, but different.

Sounds like the best food you're going to get in Scotland.
Sorry, I should probably visit a country before insulting their food.  :P

I also find it funny that Colonel Sanders in Scotland is Chinese.  The whiskers make sense, at least.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158762 on: November 23, 2021, 05:02:42 am »

Was rushing some random people through Normal last night, and my teleportation apparently got a little bit overeager and catapulted me into the void.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158763 on: November 23, 2021, 09:35:38 am »

I wouldn't want to be in Maggot Lair either.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158764 on: November 23, 2021, 10:15:47 am »

I wouldn't want to be in Maggot Lair either.

Firewall sorc has a hilarious time down there, honestly. It may not be the fastest, but there's something so terribly satisfying about coming to a junction, slapping down firewall in the visible area, and having the flames travel happily down the tunnels to fry everything in them without even coming into view. Can just sit back, relax, and enjoy the squishing noises.

None

• Bay Watcher
  • Forgotten, but not gone
    • View Profile
« Reply #158765 on: November 23, 2021, 10:27:16 am »

I recall it being very, very Cold Immune down there on Hell difficulty. My blizzard sorc was very, very not happy about that.

Get a load of mister 'pouch full of full rejuvenation potions' over here, though!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158766 on: November 23, 2021, 12:29:23 pm »

I recall it being very, very Cold Immune down there on Hell difficulty. My blizzard sorc was very, very not happy about that.

Heh, you should've been around for the opening release of D2R, where someone made a booboo and cold mastery could suddenly break immunities for a few weeks.

Naturally there was a flood of blizzard sorcs (even more than usual), who all became very salty once the change was stealth-patched later on.

Get a load of mister 'pouch full of full rejuvenation potions' over here, though!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I... I might have a problem.

There are also random rejuvenations scattered into spare spaces in the shared tabs too. There's currently not a single open space left anywhere in any of the tabs. At least I managed to clear some space in the cube this time around... Normally that's full of 'em too.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158767 on: November 23, 2021, 01:07:39 pm »

Yeah but what if you run out at some point???

Are you going to split red and blue potions like some kind of peasant?
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158768 on: November 23, 2021, 02:05:40 pm »

What do you even use them for? I can't remember if potion use was actually needed for D2 or not...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #158769 on: November 23, 2021, 03:05:14 pm »

What do you even use them for? I can't remember if potion use was actually needed for D2 or not...

You mean you've forgotten the "glug glug" sound as you face tank Diablo while chugging 4 barrels worth of magic potions?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158770 on: November 23, 2021, 03:09:41 pm »

D2 is *the* drinking problem simulator. Your belt of potions is your extended health and mana bars, and especially in Hell where some things can pretty much 2-shot you if you get in a bad situation, having an on-demand instant 100% restoration is extremely important. And, for most characters that aren't weird-ass builds like mine, you effectively never invest in increasing your mana reserve or natural regeneration, so mana potions are constantly being consumed over the course of normal spellcasting.

Leeching does exist, but that basically only goes for melee characters. As I'm a spellcaster, I effectively have no way of restoring my health outside of potions and the occasional well/shrine.

...with this character however, my resists are so high that I generally only need to chug a potion if I accidentally teleport into something really bad, or otherwise have a dumb PEBCAK moment. My mercenary takes most of the beating, and he currently does so much damage with 25% lifesteal that he generally restores half of his maximum health on a successful hit. Which is kinda why I have so many potions; they keep dropping faster than I'm using them. Still saves my ass occasionally to have that stockpile of panic buttons.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #158771 on: November 23, 2021, 06:47:01 pm »

It's entirely possible I got tired of the grind and broke out the trainers (this was the old days of +13 or whatever!) or save gamr editor before I hit the point potion use wasn't largely ignorable. I don't remember leaning heavily on them in whatever portion of D2 I played, though.

... it's also fairly likely I was leaning into some form of mana regen and lifesteal or whatever, too... I've long had a predilection towards regen type builds in basically any game that allows them, specifically so I can stop pressing the drink potion (equivalent) buttons :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #158772 on: November 23, 2021, 07:13:00 pm »

Rejuvenation potions are extra useful in D2 because they're instant and health potions are not.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158773 on: November 23, 2021, 11:53:02 pm »

I like having the mechanic of drinking potions in ARPGs like Diablo rather then not having it. Though it always felt a bit janky and like I wasn't winning the battles correctly by chugging potion after potion to stay alive, even with max resistances and high armour.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #158774 on: November 24, 2021, 12:16:29 am »

I could never be bothered to remember I even had the potions, so I generally died with them on my belt.  Oops.
Pages: 1 ... 10583 10584 [10585] 10586 10587 ... 11040