Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10435 10436 [10437] 10438 10439 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14549800 times)

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156540 on: April 04, 2021, 09:13:01 pm »

Is better to just offer a good enough service at such low price actually pirating the thing is expensier or more time intensive. People still do it you can be sure of it. But most of it is for sport or "rep" on certain pages.

Also these pirated series and movies are pretty popular on acutely poor countries.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #156541 on: April 04, 2021, 10:15:56 pm »

HBO famously didn't try to stop piracy of Game Of Thrones, reasoning that even pirated copies would still drive subscriptions.

In real terms, the only cases where piracy has really been shown to have a genuinely damaging effect small software companies and certain kinds of low-margin filmmaking. For most content creators, trying to stop it is more trouble than it is worth.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156542 on: April 05, 2021, 02:45:51 am »

Here in Russia piracy is rampant. They take down one site, 6 more spring up with the same files. Repeat ad nauseam.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156543 on: April 05, 2021, 05:20:28 am »

Don't run multiple batch files at once, especially when your preferred method of organization is sorting by date. Else this happens. Chaos. If there wasn't a search function, I'd be screwed by now.

(as for what I'm doing, I'll leave that as a mystery for now)

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156544 on: April 05, 2021, 05:22:20 am »

Also these pirated series and movies are pretty popular on acutely poor countries.
Can't blame them when a HBO subscription costs 2 average yearly incomes
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156545 on: April 05, 2021, 08:33:14 am »

Never thought of it, but yearly income here currently is 24 or 36 dollars for a lot of people. Your server here averages between 400 and 600 per year... triple digits, yeah baby!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #156546 on: April 05, 2021, 04:11:31 pm »

Geez, I'd cry if I had to make only 600 a week.... let alone year.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156547 on: April 05, 2021, 04:13:43 pm »

Never thought of it, but yearly income here currently is 24 or 36 dollars for a lot of people.

My brain just cannot wrap around this reality...  It makes me believe that somehow the translation between dollars and income is broken or not applicable to cross-location effects or something.

$24 where I live is basically half a weeks' food for one person (I budget $50/person/week in my household for groceries).  So clearly $1 in my town does not mean the same thing as $1 for LordBaal - it feels like a meaningless comparison to even use "dollar."  I mean from what it sounds like you are using physical US dollars for currency, but they don't "mean" the same thing...
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #156548 on: April 05, 2021, 05:02:55 pm »

Own house gets by on about $100/per person per month, grocery store bill wise, I think... bit more these days, but that's factoring in non-food stuff (and dealing with unusual dietary needs), too, so.

... it could easily be less, but decent-ish food is something the food money provider insists on.

But yeah, the amount a buck will stretch varies pretty wildly based on region. S'why you can casually trip over retirement articles basically saying "take your USD and go retire somewhere that's extremely advantageous."

e: in other wtf, that feeling when you look down at the pants on the floor, and start kicking off your footwear in order to take off the pants you've already took off and put on the floor

i have to wash clothes, which is where where the loop originated from, but it's very end of the day right now and i sorta wonder if i should actually be operating a washing machine
« Last Edit: April 05, 2021, 05:13:05 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #156549 on: April 05, 2021, 05:20:10 pm »

My brain just cannot wrap around this reality...  It makes me believe that somehow the translation between dollars and income is broken or not applicable to cross-location effects or something.
Dito. I spend a minimum of 45 euros per week on groceries, and that's just the food part. If I add cleaning, basic luxury like cofee and personal hygiene articles I probably won't make it for less than 55 a week. Don't even mention clothing costs.

The world needs fixing.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156550 on: April 07, 2021, 05:01:17 am »

Welp, the fitness tracker's died. Complete death; nothing works. I'm not even mad. I'm not even sure if I want the next version of this thing to replace it; I think I just like the feeling of wearing something on my wrist. Hmm... USB thumbdrive on a wristband with diagnostics and a large collection of OSes (bootable with Ventoy) is mighty tempting, but I don't think many places sell 128 GB variants.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156551 on: April 07, 2021, 06:39:30 am »

How about a watch? You could look up how long your path is, your watch will tell you how long you took, and you will still know how fast you were.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156552 on: April 07, 2021, 07:17:28 am »

Smartphone. That's called a smartphone. It can do workout tracking, and it has GPS to measure how far I've gone in some amount of time.

Really, the only thing I wanted a fitness tracker for was heart rate monitoring and sleep tracking. While neat, I don't think they're of much worth to me. At my level, it's neat to know that my BPM can scrape 170 if I'm really pushing myself, but I don't have a use for it. As for sleep tracking, I may be studying to be an actuary, but I ain't got no way to analyze this data. I can't even export it! It's useless! All I know is that I tend to sleep 7 hours, averaging an hour of deep sleep, and another hour of REM sleep. I can't tell if I'm gonna die any sooner based on that alone.

So, yeah. What I really wanted, it turns out, would just be a watch, like, a wristband-style watch with waterproofing. That, or a USB stick in wristband form factor.

Mathel

• Bay Watcher
  • A weird guy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156553 on: April 07, 2021, 07:44:49 am »

Yes, smartphone will tell you both time and distance. A wristwatch will only tell you the time. But a wristwatch fills the requirement of being worn on the wrist and is usually more durable than a smartphone.
The shield beats the sword.
Urge to drink milk while eating steak wrapped with bacon rising...
Outer planes are not subject to any laws of physics that would prevent them from doing their job.
Better than the heavenly host eating your soul.

McTraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • This text isn't very personal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156554 on: April 07, 2021, 09:59:32 am »

I just had a jumping spider jump on my neck.

Good way to get the blood pumping.  :o
This product contains deoxyribonucleic acid which is known to the State of California to cause cancer, reproductive harm, and other health issues.
Pages: 1 ... 10435 10436 [10437] 10438 10439 ... 11038