Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10434 10435 [10436] 10437 10438 ... 11038

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14550616 times)

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #156525 on: April 03, 2021, 12:43:40 pm »

tomato tohmahtoe
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #156526 on: April 03, 2021, 07:25:19 pm »

Mushrooms are horrible, what is wrong with you people?

I'm inclined to agree, for the most part.

Wood ear mushrooms in hot and sour soup aren't bad, though. I thought I was eating some kind of crunchy vegetable until I learned what it was.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156527 on: April 03, 2021, 08:37:00 pm »

roaring around the garden with an axe tryna catch a duck this morning. i'm sure the neighbours love me even more now.

i eventually caught it. the two ducks are in confinement. but, i need to find a home for it or smt. i am bad with the chopping of heads thing.

A funnel-shaped object large enough to fit the head through helps. Put the bird in upside down, the bird relaxes, remove the head, blood drains out.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156528 on: April 03, 2021, 08:42:24 pm »

I think I may have lost my keys. I'm not even sure how, since I barely remember what the hell happened last night. I think medicated-me may have done something really dumb, but not sure what.

Edit: so I did actually sleep on the floor in the neighboring room. I'm surprised nothing got stolen, considering they were on the damn floor in plain sight. Huh.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 08:54:49 pm by methylatedspirit »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156529 on: April 03, 2021, 08:59:29 pm »

The texture and feel of mushrooms freaks me out in a primal way... like, "I better spit this mouthful out!" They taste good.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156530 on: April 03, 2021, 11:08:19 pm »

The tingle you feel is just the fungus trying to be friends with you.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #156531 on: April 04, 2021, 02:03:52 am »

The texture and feel of mushrooms freaks me out in a primal way... like, "I better spit this mouthful out!" They taste good.

Gills!
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156532 on: April 04, 2021, 02:48:43 am »

Did the eat your mushrooms thread teach us nothing?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156533 on: April 04, 2021, 05:14:39 am »

roaring around the garden with an axe tryna catch a duck this morning. i'm sure the neighbours love me even more now.

i eventually caught it. the two ducks are in confinement. but, i need to find a home for it or smt. i am bad with the chopping of heads thing.

A funnel-shaped object large enough to fit the head through helps. Put the bird in upside down, the bird relaxes, remove the head, blood drains out.
Or a guillotine...
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156534 on: April 04, 2021, 08:14:54 am »

My fitness tracker/smartwatch-by-loose-definitions seems to be dying. When it was tracking my cycling, it has a tendency to pinpoint my location hundreds of meters away from where I should be, which means that I end up covering a kilometer in 35 seconds according to it, equating to an average speed of ~100 km/h. Granted, it's piggybacking off my phone for its GPS, so that could be a phone problem. Now the touchscreen's not responding to touch. At least I can queue exercise tracking from my phone, but I can't, say, adjust brightness.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 08:23:19 am by methylatedspirit »

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156535 on: April 04, 2021, 09:38:02 am »

People have been banned from Ingress/Pokemon Go for that sort of thing!  Gotta be careful :P

My new desktop is working - yay!  Passive voice because I don't feel worthy of much credit, particularly given the WTF caveats:

I'm definitely not getting the full color depth for some reason.  I think it's 16 bit.  Gradients are very obviously wrong, but Skyrim almost looks... better?  Colors "pop" more.  Perception is a fascinating subject.
But I can't find an option for changing the color depth, because everything is needlessly different and more confusing, so I'm prepared to deal with it 8)
Yeah it's an insult to my "honor as a computer person", and I would figure it out for anyone else, but *I* kinda dig it.

I still don't know why HDMI stops working shortly after a first boot after install.  I blame auto-updates.  DVI works fine (I *keep* accidentally typing DIVX in texts, nobody remembers DIVX, haha)

When my screen goes to sleep it no longer automatically awakens when I reactivate the computer.  I would assume this is a DVI thing, but it was working when the screen received VGA (adapted from DVI+ output).  *It Is A mYsTeRy*

At 1920x1080, which I think is correct, the display area exceeds the screen for about a quarter centimeter in *every* direction.  This was not the case with my previous computer with this monitor, using VGA/DVI.  Standards, amirite?  Other resolutions have the same problem, but with additional letterboxing.

All in all, technology has become literal magic and we're just adrift in it.  Programs and systems long ago became too complicated to be truly understood, and the dream of standardized compatibility came close, then drifted away.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156536 on: April 04, 2021, 09:58:55 am »

Neighbour left a gift wash set.

Is this the "we noticed you looking more and more like a hobo leper, please take a bath" message?

What is my life anymore

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156537 on: April 04, 2021, 10:01:15 am »

At 1920x1080, which I think is correct, the display area exceeds the screen for about a quarter centimeter in *every* direction.  This was not the case with my previous computer with this monitor, using VGA/DVI.  Standards, amirite?  Other resolutions have the same problem, but with additional letterboxing.

The term there is "overscan". The settings for that are a bit scattered, but they should be somewhere in your monitor's settings (or there could be a "calibrate" button somewhere), or in your respective GPU's settings.

(I *keep* accidentally typing DIVX in texts, nobody remembers DIVX, haha)

DivX? What, that oddball codec between MPEG-2 video and H.264 that people kinda used for a bit, then abandoned as soon as tech got good enough? I didn't use it myself, but I did get my brother's old collection of movies in that format. Any sane person would use x264 now.

I looked it up to verify that that was the case, and... DivX is a legit brand now. They make codecs for the OG DivX, H.264, and now H.265. The hell?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #156538 on: April 04, 2021, 10:14:53 am »

It lives

Furthermore I mostly remember Divx, sorry, DIVX from this thing Circuit City tried.  Temporary access to videos - what a crazy scheme that would never work nowadays, ahaha.  *sob*

But DivX is also a format and I often got confused between it and the Circuit City thing.  (Circuit City was a chain retailer that failed for some reason).
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

methylatedspirit

• Bay Watcher
  • it/its
    • View Profile
« Reply #156539 on: April 04, 2021, 07:26:11 pm »

Temporary access to videos - what a crazy scheme that would never work nowadays, ahaha.  *sob*

Hey, at least Netflix and its ilk still use standardized formats, good ol' H.264 and Vorbis being the typical lowest common denominator. With enough trickery, you can download the streamed content and watch it offline (though it does count as piracy). Netflix did make its own video quality metric called VMAF, but you don't see them making entirely new formats despite it being big enough to do that.

You know, if Netflix tried to pull that shit on its consumers, making an entirely new proprietary video format just to make it more difficult to pirate, you know there's gonna be people who will reverse-engineer it. I bet you, FFmpeg would be patched to decode it a mere week after its release. That, or someone else does it, releases it under GPL and claims it's for "educational use" since they've only released source code, just like the LAME MP3 encoder. Security-through-obscurity is a farce.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 07:40:44 pm by methylatedspirit »
Pages: 1 ... 10434 10435 [10436] 10437 10438 ... 11038