Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9232 9233 [9234] 9235 9236 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556203 times)

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138495 on: October 01, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »

One of the regulars who are on the spectrum (I *think* it was Vector) talked about this when that book came out. From what they said, calling it a "caricature" is over-generous.
that is really over-generous, it feels like some propaganda that autism speaks would make
I've never been able to track down their troublesome stuff. I keep hearing about it though.

I have no heard bad things about them, what's up with em?

For a positive perspective, I've found them to be rife with some very positive free materials for myself and others who have direct contact with a person with Autism.
Agreed, they seem to have fairly positive resources. For some reason I hear these things about them saying that autistic kids break families or some bullshit like that.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #138496 on: October 01, 2018, 07:04:13 pm »

One of the regulars who are on the spectrum (I *think* it was Vector) talked about this when that book came out. From what they said, calling it a "caricature" is over-generous.
that is really over-generous, it feels like some propaganda that autism speaks would make
I've never been able to track down their troublesome stuff. I keep hearing about it though.

I have no heard bad things about them, what's up with em?

For a positive perspective, I've found them to be rife with some very positive free materials for myself and others who have direct contact with a person with Autism.
Agreed, they seem to have fairly positive resources. For some reason I hear these things about them saying that autistic kids break families or some bullshit like that.
they didn't say that. THEY MADE ADS THAT SAID THAT.
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138497 on: October 01, 2018, 07:11:47 pm »

Okay, so that is horrible.

Side note, I don't watch tv: I have never seen that before.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138498 on: October 01, 2018, 07:19:36 pm »

Okay, so that is horrible.
Oh that's nothing. They made an ad where a mother says she almost committed a murder suicide by driving off a bridge just so she could kill her autistic child, but the only reason she did that was because she has a neuro-typical child at home.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138499 on: October 01, 2018, 07:37:17 pm »

How is that horrible or a caricature? These are the fears and realities of parents of children with low-functioning autism.
It's good to recognise that the S in ASD stands for spectrum, so while people with Asperger's can and should advocate for not being treated as disabled, they shouldn't pretend the rest of the spectrum doesn't exist.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138500 on: October 01, 2018, 07:43:29 pm »

I for one wish someone would drive me off a cliff.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

choppy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138501 on: October 01, 2018, 07:52:03 pm »

I for one wish someone would drive me off a cliff.
But in a fun and mostly safe way. Right?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138502 on: October 01, 2018, 07:58:53 pm »

That ad is bizarre. I see what they are trying to do, make it about an oft-ignored disorder that needs to be taken seriously, but they definitely wrote that as if it was from the perspective of a person with autism. The second half that ad makes it clear that the voice in the beginning is the "disease" and not the person, but WOW the insensitivity and tone-deafness are incredible there from an agency that deals directly with autism (what? Voodoo??? what?? ? ?) The ends don't justify the means there, good lord.

Regardless though, Autism Speaks DOES provide a great deal of free (and accurate) material and my understanding is that they primarily fund research into preventing autism, which is extremely important. I've had nothing but positive experiences from them, so my position will be that this utterly chilling ad is not representative of their organization's overall work. Feel free to disagree.

FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138503 on: October 01, 2018, 08:02:20 pm »

How is that horrible or a caricature? These are the fears and realities of parents of children with low-functioning autism.
It's good to recognise that the S in ASD stands for spectrum, so while people with Asperger's can and should advocate for not being treated as disabled, they shouldn't pretend the rest of the spectrum doesn't exist.
That post was my reaction to the ad. And while you're right that the spectrum can be extremely harsh, rhe first half of that ad is damn apocalyptic. And the second half doesn't feel like it balances it out. It's a very depressing ad, that doesn't make it seem like the support they provide will be enough.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138504 on: October 01, 2018, 08:30:28 pm »

"they primarily fund research into preventing autism"
This is one of the BIGGEST problems with autism speaks. They barely help families that have children with severe autism (only 4% of their profits, the rest go into their pockets and into eliminating autism) and plenty of people on the board hate people with autism (no one currently on the board is autistic and the ONLY autistic member on the board was treated like a child and nobody even listened to him)

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138505 on: October 01, 2018, 09:23:17 pm »

The main problem with Autism Speaks isn't all that guff. I mean, that stuff is a problem, but it's not *the* problem. If anything, they're symptoms.

The problem is that it is (or was, but for the longest time and certainly when that and similar ads was made) a group who have nobody who actually has autism, to any degree or of any kind, in any sort of input role. None in leadership, none on the board, not even advisory.

So it's like having a womens health foundation run entirely by men, or a black advocacy group run entirely by white folk, or a queer support run entirely by straight folks.

They can have all the good intentions they want, and all the data they want, but without the input of lived experience and someone to say "Uh, dude, that's not at all what it's like/holy crap that is offensive as hell," then all the myriad other problems stem from it.

Especially for an organization called "Autism Speaks," it's certainly not autistic people who are doing the speaking. They're at best a support organization for the people surrounding autistic persons, but that's not what they bill themselves as.

Not to mention the fairly eugenics*-y advocacy for a "cure for autism" without actually asking autistic people if they even want to be cured, like Deathpunch said, and it's just... Yeah.

*And this is coming from a transhumanist who's all about genetic engineering, mechanical augmentation, and building the better being, but the difference is that from me, consent is first and foremost. Especially for things like Autism where, for a large subset of patients, the main issue with having autism isn't the symptoms per se like it is with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, schizophrenia, etc. It's the surrounding society expecting one thing and you delivering another. If the person is supported in the culture and allowed to function as they normally function, no square peg in a round hole, they're often as competent and capable (if not more) than the average non-autistic person.

Edit: Guy basically said what I said, but I added more words, so I win. hah!
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138506 on: October 01, 2018, 09:29:34 pm »

Allow me to plug a clip from one of my favorite movies that speaks volumes about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYKFw6nboY

A Thing

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm here for ya, kid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138507 on: October 01, 2018, 11:08:33 pm »

Allow me to plug a clip from one of my favorite movies that speaks volumes about this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYKFw6nboY

Man, I wish I had that good of handwriting.

As an 'aspie' (what an awful term) the idea of cure is kinda weird to me. Honestly I've never really identified with Aspergers much, but I don't entirely see it as a bad thing. Not really a good thing either, just something I have to live with. I definitely got into a lot of trouble in the past because of some of the autism related stuff*.  Yet as I get older it just seems more and more like a vague thing that maybe changes how I act. I guess a cure might be good for those who have low-functioning, but I somehow doubt it'll just magically fix all of the flaws that child has and leave the 'savant' parts of autism. It doesn't exactly feel clear to me where autism ends and just being a normal flawed/gifted human being begins.

I'unno, I've never got my rainman mentat math science S T E M magic powers from it so maybe I'm just jaded and apathetic. Then again I've also never run into traintracks because of math butterfly shit either so maybe that's for the best.

As for Autism Speaks, I think they helped my mom get an actual diagnosis for autism instead of the misdiagnosis I got for ADHD? I think that's something they do? If it was they're probably not entirely awful. If not, it was some other thing, and they suck I guess (I can't be bothered to watch the ads so I'll take your guys word for it.) Definitely should have some autistic folks on the board either way though, seems like a pretty awful oversight.

*Getting overwhelmed and lashing out mostly.

FAKEEDIT: looking up the foundation date of Autism Speaks it seems unlikely they are the one that I'm thinking of unless I got diagnosed way later then I thought. Also, it was math rat shit not math butterfly shit looking back in the thread.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:15:02 pm by A Thing »
Wasteland 1 & 2
"Power Couple: Markus Athing & Cyborg 45"

Makes me curious, can cyborgs have future babies too?
On the offchance they can, I know who I want my daddy to be
(finished)Age of Decadence

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138508 on: October 01, 2018, 11:35:51 pm »

Honestly, if I experience myself doing something amazing, I'd rather chalk it up to myself just being awesome than aspergers anyway.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138509 on: October 02, 2018, 12:07:05 am »

Yeah alright, I've looked a bit more into what people say about Autism Speaks, and I'm beginning to see how they're kinda twisted. The predominant opinion is similar to what people here were expressing.
They kinda seem like an organisation whose views on autism are stuck in the past. Not the 1950s past, but maybe 80s or 90s.
Pages: 1 ... 9232 9233 [9234] 9235 9236 ... 11039