Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9231 9232 [9233] 9234 9235 ... 11039

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 14556741 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #138480 on: October 01, 2018, 07:42:31 am »

Good for you, I guess. I just don't do video LPs much at all, particularly narrative driven ones. Add on never really having much or any interest in the half-life games and *shrugs*

If the thing was supposed to be important it wasn't important enough to come up in anything I've ran across until yesterday.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138481 on: October 01, 2018, 10:37:10 am »

Huh. In the UK this vegan woman ordered a vegan pizza, gets told they're all out of vegan cheese, demands the pizza anyway, then when it arrives she spits the dummy and posts it on social media about how shit the cheeseless pizza was, blames the store.

Complaints aren't anything special, but it follows a new pattern where people shame the servers on social media first before asking the company to replace the meal.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 10:41:20 am by Reelya »

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #138482 on: October 01, 2018, 10:40:59 am »

Well she's not helping any stereotyping. Good lord woman, you're giving the world their strawmen.

By the by, I hate all living strawmen. They degenerate any argument into "This loud person says they're a feminist and they hold shitty views so that must be the mainstream feminist culture" but replace feminist with literally anything.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138483 on: October 01, 2018, 10:44:13 am »

This loud person is the President of the United States of America and has shitty opinions so all Presidents of the USA must be similarly shitty.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #138484 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:02 am »

This loud person is the President of the United States of America and has shitty opinions so all Presidents of the USA must be similarly shitty.

JFK wasn't so bad for a shameless slut. And Abraham Lincoln was crazy strong which is irrelevant but awesome. Also George Washington was fucking smart.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138485 on: October 01, 2018, 10:52:40 am »

JFK wasn't so bad for a shameless slut. And Abraham Lincoln was crazy strong which is irrelevant but awesome. Also George Washington was fucking smart.

I hope you're talking about Geedub the Second, our Spiritual Liege, and painter of ~alright~ portraits.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #138486 on: October 01, 2018, 10:56:50 am »

Even Millard Fillmore?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138487 on: October 01, 2018, 11:00:16 am »

OMG this story is painful to read:

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/real-life/news-life/nanny-fired-after-receiving-racist-text-from-employer/news-story/f295e8e52ed2d7580c59b0f6673db155

THE wife of a Manhattan financier hired a nanny for her baby, but freaked out when she realised the caretaker was African-American and fired off a text message saying, “NOOOOOOOOOOO ANOTHER BLACK PERSON,” a lawsuit alleges.

Lynsey Plasco-Flaxman, a mother of two in New York, wrote the message for her spouse, Joel Plasco, upon meeting new nanny Giselle Maurice for her first day at work in 2016.

Only she didn’t send the text to Plasco — she accidentally sent it to Maurice. Twice.

When she realised the gaffe, Plasco-Flaxman immediately fired the experienced caretaker, saying she felt “uncomfortable.”
Now Maurice, 44, is suing the couple for discrimination and seeking compensation for wages she says she was promised — $US350-a-day for a six-month live-in gig.

“[I want] to show them, look, you don’t do stuff like that,” Maurice told the New York Post, saying they paid her for the single day’s work and sent her home in an Uber.

“I know it’s discrimination.”

But the family says their actions were reasonable, arguing they couldn’t trust Maurice after offending her.

“[My wife] had sent her something that she didn’t mean to say. She’s not a racist. We’re not racist people,” Plasco, co-chairman of the Dalmore Group investment bank, told The Post on Friday.

“But would you put your children in the hands of someone you’ve been rude to, even if it was by mistake? Your newborn baby? Come on.”

"they couldn’t trust Maurice after offending her"

Like, seriously? So to fire black people legally you just have to use the n-word then say "well this is awkward, you're fired"
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 11:02:27 am by Reelya »

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138488 on: October 01, 2018, 11:26:50 am »

Also on the “Rar predatory DLC practices bad” bandwagon, and might actually put my first hour into CK which might be a bad idea but who knows.

Hey guys, Sims doc, discuss :P
Uh
Doc is a cat that resides in Brindleton Bay, the town shipped with The Sims 4: Cats & Dogs
Cool

That was SUPPOSED to be dlc, stupid phone....

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138489 on: October 01, 2018, 12:09:37 pm »

Regarding that story about the housekeeper, it's really telling that they didn't trust her to be a professional about it, or even take some time to apologize to her sincerely. Nah. The lady was caught out being racist, couldn't handle her own fuckup, and took it out on the woman she offended instead.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138490 on: October 01, 2018, 05:21:58 pm »

I read a piece of fiction recently, "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" by Mark Haddon. The book is written journal style from the perspective of an autistic 15 yr old boy. Mark Haddon is not autistic, but the back of the book claims he had worked with autistic children so he has second hand experience what the perspective of an autistic boy might be like. The book is very readable, and I got through it in two days, and I got the feeling that Mark wanted to paint what the world must look like through the eyes of someone with autism, and he wanted to humanize and make the audience sympathize with the main character as much as possible. That's what he WANTED To do, but what he actually does, I feel, is make the autistic main character as starkly unsympathetic as possible.

From screaming, hitting, and threatening people with no provocation, to going into long trances for hours at a time, to then brainlessly jumping into the path of an incoming subway train to chase after a rat, and then between all that going into detailed non sequitur explanations of random mathematical stuff... the idea is that these are the symptoms and characteristics of someone with autism, but they're not the actual first-hand perspective of an autistic, which was what the book was trying to be. At the very least, that's how it comes off; that the author is knowledgeable and empathizes, sure, but translating what he knows through his own perspective and then believing that's enough to create a convincing first person perspective, that comes off to me as grossly irresponsible and foolish. At the very best, he created a caricature that is a brainless burden on everyone around him and damages their lives just by existing. I'm aware that people with conditions like these can be an enormous hassle, I just felt that this book wasn't doing them any favors.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 05:23:49 pm by JoshuaFH »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #138491 on: October 01, 2018, 05:28:13 pm »

One of the regulars who are on the spectrum (I *think* it was Vector) talked about this when that book came out. From what they said, calling it a "caricature" is over-generous.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

deathpunch578

• Bay Watcher
  • local satanist practices black magic in cornfields
    • View Profile
« Reply #138492 on: October 01, 2018, 05:40:16 pm »

One of the regulars who are on the spectrum (I *think* it was Vector) talked about this when that book came out. From what they said, calling it a "caricature" is over-generous.
that is really over-generous, it feels like some propaganda that autism speaks would make
Someone hands you a basketful of Jeses.
Cheerful with a side of wink wink nudge nudge I bet this guy's spine would look great mounted on my wall.
You ever get so mad you fuck a donkey?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138493 on: October 01, 2018, 06:30:06 pm »

that is really over-generous, it feels like some propaganda that autism speaks would make
I've never been able to track down their troublesome stuff. I keep hearing about it though.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138494 on: October 01, 2018, 06:32:15 pm »

I've never been able to track down their troublesome stuff. I keep hearing about it though.

I have no heard bad things about them, what's up with em?

For a positive perspective, I've found them to be rife with some very positive free materials for myself and others who have direct contact with a person with Autism.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 06:46:51 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0
Pages: 1 ... 9231 9232 [9233] 9234 9235 ... 11039