Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27558 times)

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2010, 05:51:20 pm »

Slight correction on the clothing issue:  If you give dwarves bedrooms with cabinets in them, they should eventually gather the clothing they've claimed and stick it in their bedrooms.  They won't wear any of it, but at least this gets it out of the way.  They may store clothing in their bedroom even without cabinets, but the cabinets seem to encourage storage faster and may let them store more clothing.  This may also be dependent on personality traits, dwarves who are organized and neat may store their clothing more quickly than the lazy and disorganized.

Corrected.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2010, 06:06:20 pm »

Activating the Mayor into military with "station" task works easy and reliable.

Corrected.

I can add that minting lots of copper, silver and gold coins has absolutely no effect as it used to in some old versions.

Interesting, when the economy kicked in it tended to cause a small disaster if your coinage was minted and accessible.  However, can anyone answer whether this is directly linked to the lack of a Tax Collector?

Provide every dwarf with a personal bedroom and a cabinet in it. They will store their owned clothing in the cabinets.

Now, about frostbites - civilians newer wear their owned clothes even if they are completely naked. You may assign every civilian dwarf to a permanently inactive squad and assign clothes as uniform to them to combat cold.

Corrected.

Besides very unreliable distinction of metal bolts for combat, bone and wood for training - taking bolts from bins in ammo stockpiles may actually work from my experience. When a marksman squad has no leader (e.g. the squad captain is killed and you haven;t appointed a new one) - no new bolts will ever be assigned to the squad.

I have heard conflicting reports.  Some say that Dwarves will not pick up ammo in stockpiles.  Others say that Dwarves will not pick up ammo if the squad to which they are assigned does not have a squad leader.  Which condition is it?  The first, the second, or a combination thereof?  I will leave the bug as it is until I receive clarification.

Flooding a room to 2/7-3/7 and letting it slowly dry up usually works. You may have some luck with a simple pump and no micromanagement.

Corrected.

I am now considering setting blood and similar liquids melting point to be between most creatures' [HOMEOTERM] and whatever the fixed underground temperature is. Blood has [ROTS] tag in vanilla DF but apparently liquids don't ever rot. Frozen pus and extracts (their melting point is most likely randomized) from some megabeasts always eventually rot so I guess [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:dried up blood] and letting it rot will automatically clean blood contaminants for most cases. [LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE] sounds like a copy-paste induced typo but I checked that changing it has no effect.

Noted.  However, I am trying to avoid any workarounds that involve anything beyond very basic modifications.  My goal is that these workarounds should be accessible to the player population at large.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2010, 02:33:21 pm by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2010, 06:54:46 pm »

I am now considering setting blood and similar liquids melting point to be between most creatures' [HOMEOTERM] and whatever the fixed underground temperature is.

Be careful about changing the temperature characteristics of blood, since it can potentially result in your dwarves refusing to eat because the food is considered too hot/cold (or, even worse, causing other civilizations to refuse to trade because they think the climate is too hot/cold).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 23, 2010, 08:59:31 am »

Is the crystal glass still bugged as stated in the wiki? I see no mention of that.

Corrected.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2010, 10:33:09 am »

For the sake of completeness, it might be prudent to mention that Gypsum powder never shows /appears in the hospital inventory, but still seems to work fine.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2010, 10:37:10 am »

For the sake of completeness, it might be prudent to mention that Gypsum powder never shows /appears in the hospital inventory, but still seems to work fine.

Corrected.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2010, 10:53:51 pm »

Although not idea, all problems related to blood/pus/goo around the map can be fixed using DFHack, specifically dfcleanmap.
It removes all the goo, but leaves the mud.
Re-run as more goo returns.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2010, 11:01:26 pm »

Whips, scourges, and lashes are ridiculously powerful and slice through steel armor.

- No solution.

I know this is bordering on cheating, but wouldn't (temporarily) removing them from the game be advisable in this situation?

Also, not to nitpick, but I haven't actually seen a weapon called "lash" in the raws. They're called whips and scourges, as you've mentioned as well, in this game. A whip-class weapon user is called lasher, though, so I understand the confusion.

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2010, 05:34:57 am »

This thread is very depressing.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2010, 09:39:59 am »

Whips, scourges, and lashes are ridiculously powerful and slice through steel armor.

- No solution.

You can always kill lashers with traps, reclaim their equipment, then train up lashers of your own.

Tsarwash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2010, 10:51:21 am »

I'm not certain if it is a bug or not, but I have just discovered a workaround for something that is otherwise very frustrating. Usually dwarves only ever fill a pond, one dwarf at a time, no matter how many of them are idle or how many buckets are available. This can prove useless if the pond is far enough away from the water spource that it evaporates quicker than the single dwarf can fill it, (i.e. quite often). I've just discovered that you can assign multiple pond zones across the same tile, thus allowing more than one dwarf to fil it at once, and solving the problem.
On the left a cannon which shoots dwarf children into the sun, on the right, a massive pit full of magma charred dwarfs and elves.

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2010, 11:14:10 am »

In some previous versions, dwarves would claim food and then drop it, where it would sit and rot, unmovable.  I think it was caused by inactive military dwarves with mining or woodcutting enabled.  Has that one been fixed?

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2010, 02:00:58 pm »

Although not idea, all problems related to blood/pus/goo around the map can be fixed using DFHack, specifically dfcleanmap.
It removes all the goo, but leaves the mud.
Re-run as more goo returns.

Noted.  However, I am trying to avoid any workarounds that involve anything beyond very basic modifications.  My goal is that these workarounds should be accessible to the player population at large.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:46:57 pm by Maltay »

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 24, 2010, 02:02:42 pm »

This thread is very depressing.

Given the complexity of the game, I argue the opposite.  However, this is not an argument I wish to hold in this thread.  If you want to continue a discussion in another thread, please send me a PM with a hyperlink to the thread and I will reply.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10