Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: Current Bugs & Workarounds  (Read 27521 times)

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Current Bugs & Workarounds
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 06:13:45 pm »

Dwarves never receive crutches when they need them, leaving them   in the hospital and bedridden forever.  This is sort of like   pre-medical system Dwarf Fortress.

- No solution.

Nah, I saw a dwarf using crutches a while back.

Correction: Permanently disabled dwarves will not be given crutches. Temporarily disabled dwarves may be given crutches.

This means a dwarf who had a leg cut off or got nerve damage in a leg will never use crutches, and will not (normally) leave the hospital or bed he gets placed in. A dwarf whose leg is only damaged but will heal can be given a crutch although most of the time they won't get the crutch and so they just rest in the hospital until their leg heals.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 06:17:28 pm »

I think dwarves only remove mud from smoothed stone floors. Solution: Make sure to not smooth the area under your farm plot.

Additionally, exotic creatures can be tamed by manually altering the raws, or via the NoExotics mod, which edits the RAWs in each creature entry at once.

When you build a farm plot on muddied smoothed stone, the ground changes INSTANTLY to just muddy ground.

Smoothing a muddy floor will cause the mud to be cleaned away.

Additionally, when dwarves clean up certain ichors and vomit, that clears all mud. This means that if a dwarf steps in FB ichor, and tracks it through your working farm plot, the farm plot will be cleaned of the ichor and the mud. Once a farm plot has ANY tile of no mud, it stops working completely.

Also, mud can be pushed around by water itself. So if you use your irrigation system to "remuddy" a patch of ground in your farm chamber and some of the chamber still has mud on it, the water can actually REMOVE mud on a previously muddy square. That square can NEVER be remuddied without building something on that particular tile to reset it.
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 10:50:35 pm »

Correction: Permanently disabled dwarves will not be given crutches. Temporarily disabled dwarves may be given crutches.

This means a dwarf who had a leg cut off or got nerve damage in a leg will never use crutches, and will not (normally) leave the hospital or bed he gets placed in. A dwarf whose leg is only damaged but will heal can be given a crutch although most of the time they won't get the crutch and so they just rest in the hospital until their leg heals.

Can anyone answer whether permanently disabled Dwarves should be given crutches?  If they should, then this is bug.  If they should not, then this functions as intended.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 10:42:47 pm by Maltay »
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 10:52:48 pm »

Smoothing a muddy floor will cause the mud to be cleaned away.

Additionally, when dwarves clean up certain ichors and vomit, that clears all mud. This means that if a dwarf steps in FB ichor, and tracks it through your working farm plot, the farm plot will be cleaned of the ichor and the mud. Once a farm plot has ANY tile of no mud, it stops working completely.

Also, mud can be pushed around by water itself. So if you use your irrigation system to "remuddy" a patch of ground in your farm chamber and some of the chamber still has mud on it, the water can actually REMOVE mud on a previously muddy square. That square can NEVER be remuddied without building something on that particular tile to reset it.

Corrected.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

WrathNail

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: too awesome to use]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2010, 03:07:13 am »

This should be stickied.

Dwarves with old clothes will claim new clothes but not actually wear them.  Thus, clothes are everywhere.

- Do not make new clothes for them to claim.  They will not receive happy thoughts for claiming new clothes, but that does not really matter.  The downside is a cold environment where frostbite is a problem.  The lack of cloaks and gloves may end up hurting you later on, but there is not much you can do about it beyond keeping your Dwarves underground.

Clothes left behind by goblins will also be claimed, so only unforbid them when the caravans come and mark them for trading immediately. Alternatively, dump them in magma.

Underground soil must have mud for underground crops.  ToadyOne said that soil should work for farms without mud.

- Designate pit / pond tiles so your Dwarves make the floor muddy.  You do this from the room above by channeling out the floor in a nifty pattern.  Using irrigation floodgates and grates to regularly saturate the room with water and make things muddy does not work as the water can push around the mud and leave tiles without mud.

Another method is to use murky pools. Dig a slightly larger area next to the pool, then remove the wall to empty its contents over the would-be farm. Let the water evaporate and seal the hole.

And we, build up castles
in the sky and in the sand.
Design our own world
ain't nobody understand.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2010, 06:35:12 am »

Magma heats creatures too slowly.  They often bleed to death or drown before burning to death.  This has to do with melting points for different materials and heat transfer.  Creatures' fat melts off first, causing the bleeding.  Some survive this and go on living before the heat causes the rest of them to burst into flame.  On this note, temperature transfer appears to be somewhat broken.

- No immediate solution.  However, someone did suggest breeding over multiple generations for skinny Dwarves.  Unfortunately, I have not found enough information on breeding to understand how, or whether, it works.
Low healing stat makes creature fat, high healing stat makes them skinny.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2010, 07:04:14 am »

Clothes left behind by goblins will also be claimed, so only unforbid them when the caravans come and mark them for trading immediately. Alternatively, dump them in magma.

Corrected.

Another method is to use murky pools. Dig a slightly larger area next to the pool, then remove the wall to empty its contents over the would-be farm. Let the water evaporate and seal the hole.

Corrected, though this solution suffers from the same problem as using floodgates and grates to irrigate Farm Plots.  The mud may get moved around by the water, leaving tiles without mud.

Maltay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2010, 07:04:40 am »

Low healing stat makes creature fat, high healing stat makes them skinny.

Corrected.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2010, 07:34:02 am »

Slight correction on the clothing issue:  If you give dwarves bedrooms with cabinets in them, they should eventually gather the clothing they've claimed and stick it in their bedrooms.  They won't wear any of it, but at least this gets it out of the way.  They may store clothing in their bedroom even without cabinets, but the cabinets seem to encourage storage faster and may let them store more clothing.  This may also be dependent on personality traits, dwarves who are organized and neat may store their clothing more quickly than the lazy and disorganized.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Another

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2010, 07:35:15 am »

The Outpost Liaison will not appoint a Baron unless the meeting is delayed until the caravan has left the map.

- Keep your Mayor busy so the caravan leaves, then meet with the Outpost Liaison.  For example, lock your Mayor in his room with food and water until the caravan leaves.  The Mayor must be kept at least three squares away from the Outpost Liaison for this to work as they can shout at each other through walls and closed doors.
Activating the Mayor into military with "station" task works easy and reliable.
There are no immigrant nobles; no Dungeon Master, Tax Collector, or Hammer Dwarf.  This means you cannot tame exotic animals and nobles have trouble assigning dangerous punishments, reducing potential fun.

- No solution beyond modifying the game to change the exotic creatures you want to tame.  Also, avoiding dangerous punishments assigned by nobles may actually be a good thing.  The Hammer Dwarf can be quite dangerous.
I can add that minting lots of copper, silver and gold coins has absolutely no effect as it used to in some old versions.

Dwarves with old clothes will claim new clothes but not actually wear them.  Thus, clothes are everywhere.
Provide every dwarf with a personal bedroom and a cabinet in it. They will store their owned clothing in the cabinets.

Now, about frostbites - civilians newer wear their owned clothes even if they are completely naked. You may assign every civilian dwarf to a permanently inactive squad and assign clothes as uniform to them to combat cold.
Dwarves use ammo designated for combat for training and refuse to pick up ammo stored in stockpiles.  This makes ranged weapons somewhat useless after a few rounds of practice during training.
Besides very unreliable distinction of metal bolts for combat, bone and wood for training - taking bolts from bins in ammo stockpiles may actually work from my experience. When a marksman squad has no leader (e.g. the squad captain is killed and you haven;t appointed a new one) - no new bolts will ever be assigned to the squad.
Underground soil must have mud for underground crops.  ToadyOne said that soil should work for farms without mud.

- Designate pit / pond tiles so your Dwarves make the floor muddy.  You do this from the room above by channeling out the floor in a nifty pattern.  Using irrigation floodgates and grates to regularly saturate the room with water and make things muddy does not always work as the water can push around the mud and leave tiles without mud.  Likewise, taking advantage of murky pools does not always work for the same reason; the water can push around the mud and leave tiles without mud.
Flooding a room to 2/7-3/7 and letting it slowly dry up usually works. You may have some luck with a simple pump and no micromanagement.

I am now considering setting blood and similar liquids melting point to be between most creatures' [HOMEOTERM] and whatever the fixed underground temperature is. Blood has [ROTS] tag in vanilla DF but apparently liquids don't ever rot. Frozen pus and extracts (their melting point is most likely randomized) from some megabeasts always eventually rot so I guess [STATE_NAME:ALL_SOLID:dried up blood] and letting it rot will automatically clean blood contaminants for most cases. [LIQUID_DENSITY:NONE] sounds like a copy-paste induced typo but I checked that changing it has no effect.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 07:44:43 am by Another »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

ioi101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2010, 02:48:31 pm »

Is the crystal glass still bugged as stated in the wiki? I see no mention of that.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2010, 03:00:18 pm »

Is the crystal glass still bugged as stated in the wiki? I see no mention of that.

Yes, it is currently impossible to make items from crystal glass (aside from cut gems, but you can only make those from rough crystal glass purchased from caravans), even if you've mined out rough rock crystals.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2010, 08:07:31 am »

*bump*
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 05:35:10 pm »

Slight correction on the clothing issue:  If you give dwarves bedrooms with cabinets in them, they should eventually gather the clothing they've claimed and stick it in their bedrooms.  They won't wear any of it, but at least this gets it out of the way.  They may store clothing in their bedroom even without cabinets, but the cabinets seem to encourage storage faster and may let them store more clothing.  This may also be dependent on personality traits, dwarves who are organized and neat may store their clothing more quickly than the lazy and disorganized.

Cabinets allow for more storage of owned items. Otherwise, they will normally only store 1 item per open floor tile.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10