Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Dedicated Tech thread.  (Read 6878 times)

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dedicated Tech thread.
« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2010, 01:13:26 pm »

I set up a pair of computer fans in a shirt to cool it, and they were about 7 USD each.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2010, 04:02:34 pm »

It quieted down again.

A computer repair shop told me that the fan would be somewhat hard to find, and cost about $14 if they could find it, and about $5 more for them to install it, but I would not be surprised if they were trying to skin me. He did suggest a small amount of olive oil, or if I really needed it, WD40(just don't get it on any of the electronics. But eh, it's not a problem right now, so why bother trying to fix it?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2010, 12:37:18 pm »

Dumb question time:

So, I'm learning about Linux in one of my computer classes, and I'm really liking it so far (I've seen Ubuntu GNOME and KDE). Is there a version of Linux that Windows 7 plays nice with and doesn't try to destroy on contact?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2010, 12:58:21 pm »

There is no such Linux, because there needn't be one.

Windows will not interfere with Linux. You resize a partition if you'll be installing it on an existing, filled hard drive (or make a new one), and install Linux there. You make the boot changes and voila.

I'm sure somebody can explain it better than me, but there it is.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2010, 02:49:42 pm »

shrink the Windows partition and make a second one so that Linux has some space to install into.
read stuff about dual-booting.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2010, 05:52:12 pm »

Yeah Win 7 is actualy doing something right. Trying to install any OS on the same partition as another one will only lead to a lot of trouble.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2010, 05:55:41 pm »

Okay, well, from what I've read, you have to install Win7 after you install Ubuntu to get it to work right. (If not, Win7 detects the Ubuntu partition as a disk error and re-partitions it automatically.)

So, I'll see if I can call up mah companah and get Win7 uninstalled.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2010, 06:14:45 pm »

http://lifehacker.com/5403100/dual+boot-windows-7-and-ubuntu-in-perfect-harmony
This looks like what you're looking for, MaximumZero.
It has Win7, Ubuntu, and a middle ground for storing stuff you want available both places.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2010, 06:42:42 pm »

Gracias.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2010, 07:20:06 pm »

Since I have to replace my graphics card anyways, I'm planning on buying an H70 for my old Core 2 Duo e8400 so that I can overclock it. Alternatively, I can buy a new mobo and one of those fancy i7 9somethings.What do you guys think? Should I guy the cooler and OC the CPU or should I buy a new mobo and i7, but with stock cooling and less money for the GPU and other stuff?

Maybe a new keyboard too, since my trusty Tarantula's starting to wear out.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:23:06 pm by lordnincompoop »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2010, 07:32:21 pm »

Since I have to replace my graphics card anyways, I'm planning on buying an H70 for my old Core 2 Duo e8400 so that I can overclock it. Alternatively, I can buy a new mobo and one of those fancy i7 9somethings.What do you guys think? Should I guy the cooler and OC the CPU or should I buy a new mobo and i7, but with stock cooling and less money for the GPU and other stuff?

Maybe a new keyboard too, since my trusty Tarantula's starting to wear out.
If you feel like spending a lot more money, go with mobo and i7, it'll require new RAM as well. This will make a lot of difference, but depending on DF or other multithreaded programs, maybe not so much.

2 years ago I bought an e8500 for DF and lga775, I kind of wish I went for AMD instead (logical upgrade path and use it as a server), since I have an i7 920 now for my main desktop.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:34:53 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

Chattox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 18, 2010, 09:21:01 am »

Whats the language that Android Apps use, is it Java?
"10 z levels down, 10 tiles north is some blood, i shall go clean it before it drives me to insanity with it's crimson color"
The setting of Half-Life 2 Episode 3's release: "It is the 41st Millennium. For more than a hundred centuries the Gabe has sat immobile on the..."

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 18, 2010, 06:14:57 pm »

From what I can immediately tell from the net it's a language that behaves like Java and uses the JRE, but there are a LOT of custom classes and methods you'll need to use.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2010, 06:49:30 pm »

If you're looking for a new practical language to learn, it's a good one to pick up.

Demand for Android-able programmers have apparently jumped over 700% in the last year as I recall hearing.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2010, 01:04:13 pm »

Not a major problem, but a little annoying...

When I put my computer in Sleep mode, to avoid the longer boot-up process that follows turning it off, it sometimes suddenly comes back on without touching anything, usually going back to Sleep after a minute or so. I can trace this back to right around the time I had to update my video drivers to play Shores of Hazeron, so I think it's that.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7