Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Let's play Might and Magic 6! : Let's start this thing  (Read 14676 times)

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
Re: Let's play Might and Magic 6! : Let's start this thing
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 12:48:41 am »

Where did you learn this if not from experience? They give a ~30% bonus when I used them.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2010, 12:50:23 am by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 02:01:24 am »

By checking the bonus to Learning skill that shows up when you hover over it on the character screen? That's how it appears to be implemented. Whether it shows up as +15 or +30 would tell you.

I know that, in MM7, two Bankers don't stack , nor do Bankers stack with Factors, and two Instructors don't stack, but I'll admit that my memory is fuzzy on 6, simply because I didn't actually play it to completion.
Further I remember that skill boost equipment did not stack in 7, though stat boosts(resists, attributes) would.

It's entirely possible I'm substituting memories from 7.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 02:15:37 am »

In 6 you don't have a bonus to learning skill from teachers and instructors; you have a bonus to experience. The only way you learn it is by killing a creature without the extra instructor, then killing the same creature with the extra instructor.
 The magic item skill boosts in this game are rather vague like "increases the effect of all fire magic". Although from experience I know that such bonuses are great.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 02:55:45 am »

I see cleric, sorceror and paladin. We still need a fourth party member. Fun is more important than min-maxing. Somebody pick something they'd like.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 04:53:14 am »

The magic item skill boosts in this game are rather vague like "increases the effect of all fire magic". Although from experience I know that such bonuses are great.

The "increases the effect of X magic" items double your magic skill IIRC.  They're fantastic.  I don't recall how they stack, though.

Also, I love cartographers.  Beyond that, anything goes.  The spellcasters (especially the ones that cast Fly or Town Portal) can be useful early on.  Bankers are mostly useless since gold is cheap.  Instructors are okay, though I normally don't bother.  Master Learning gives a 48% bonus at a bare minimum (3 x [9 + rank] %), which is plenty.  Experience is cheap.  Skill points, however, are at a premium, so consider a +skill hireling.  IIRC there's one that grants +3 to all spell skills.

Speaking of skill points, I recommend making stable runs at the beginning then every year or two after.  IIRC Kriegspire and Darkmoor have no horseshoes.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 05:18:52 am »

So we aren't playing for a ~high score? I usually try finishing the game (and everything in it) before two and half years pass. One and half if I'm really focusing on it.
 Experience tends to be what I'm low on throughout the entire game.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 05:38:36 am »

In 6 you don't have a bonus to learning skill from teachers and instructors; you have a bonus to experience. The only way you learn it is by killing a creature without the extra instructor, then killing the same creature with the extra instructor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
ontopic, another sorceror would probably be fun.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 05:56:01 am »

in 7
In 6, you don't see those specifics, and I didn't test to see if the expertise of learning skill effected the percent bonus from an instructor. Nearly all of the confusion I've encountered when talking about the Might and Magic line stems from talking about different versions.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2010, 08:21:25 am »

If no one objects, Burnt Pies the Archer will take up the bow, and save the world from whatever it needs saving from!

I've never played any of these games, so I don't have any idea how to min-max, or what skills I can take.

On the other hand, that means I have two characters, which might not be ok.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2010, 04:36:47 pm »

Oh, uh right. That thing people do in LPs.

Kobold the sorceror then, f. Water and air. I'd prefer dark later. Stick with daggers.
Tilesets

Evergod41

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2010, 05:37:46 pm »

I thought M&M was a card-based game...

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2010, 06:40:01 pm »

Neh. There was a card game in two of them, it think, though.

Also, updating soon, if dinner does not interrupt.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2010, 07:41:32 pm »

Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2010, 10:51:15 am »

Diary of Zoltan: day 1

Meanwhile, from the perspective of Sylia:

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2010, 11:23:07 am »

The dueling perspectives are win but... holy water?!?!?
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4