Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: You are all monsters.  (Read 73193 times)

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are all monsters.
« Reply #150 on: July 07, 2011, 02:19:57 pm »

Am I the only person who plays this game who actually wants immigration? I can never do everything that I want to be doing because I never have enough freakin' dwarves. Why in the heck would I randomly execute the only workers I am going to get (unless I feel like waiting 12 years for a kid to grow up)?

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 07, 2011, 02:25:44 pm »

Am I the only person who plays this game who actually wants immigration? I can never do everything that I want to be doing because I never have enough freakin' dwarves. Why in the heck would I randomly execute the only workers I am going to get (unless I feel like waiting 12 years for a kid to grow up)?
I feel the same way.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:15 pm »

Why in the heck would I randomly execute the only workers I am going to get?
Why NOT?
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 07, 2011, 02:26:35 pm »

Mostly because we get a lot of useless workers.  A migrant wave of 25 might have 2 with any useful skills.  We've already got 80 dwarves, we don't need another 20 haulers!  Once you start to do a lot of production (endless silk ropes, metal crafts, etc) then you produce a lot of wealth and attract a lot of migrants.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 07, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »

Could we forbid the baby parts, and then carefully micromanage coffins and burials until the bones are used to make crafts?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 07, 2011, 02:35:10 pm »

Mostly because we get a lot of useless workers.  A migrant wave of 25 might have 2 with any useful skills.  We've already got 80 dwarves, we don't need another 20 haulers!  Once you start to do a lot of production (endless silk ropes, metal crafts, etc) then you produce a lot of wealth and attract a lot of migrants.
You see, I never think "Oh no, a Fish Dissector", I instead think "Oh cool, I can fill the gap in Squad #4 and not have to sacrifice a dwarf with skills that could be useful elsewhere." I don't have useless workers. At worst, I have a new apprentice stone block carver or bellows-pumper. I hit the pop cap (200) long before I start running out of stuff for my dwarves to do.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 07, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »

You see, I never think "Oh no, a Fish Dissector", I instead think "Oh cool, I can fill the gap in Squad #4 and not have to sacrifice a dwarf with skills that could be useful elsewhere." I don't have useless workers. At worst, I have a new apprentice stone block carver or bellows-pumper. I hit the pop cap (200) long before I start running out of stuff for my dwarves to do.
exactly.  i have deep, deep mineshats, aboveground construction, and am settled fairly near the surface.   i'm also spread out to the four corners of the map.  i ALWAYS need haulers and masons.

my surviving dwarves have been working their trades for over a decade now, for the most part.  ANY labor i get an influx of is going to be comparatively unskilled.  large aboveground construction needs lots of haulers and masons.  all immigrants have work.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 07, 2011, 04:14:56 pm »

Am I the only person who plays this game who actually wants immigration? I can never do everything that I want to be doing because I never have enough freakin' dwarves.

After I read that I instantly replaced the word dwarves with expendable working material.

Yes, we are monsters.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 04, 2011, 04:05:48 pm »

lol, butchering my edited rocs with my kitten lying next to me, makes me feel shamelesly murderous :o
anyway, rocs r the best cattle ever, trainable, butcherable, perfect guards and a recipe for a blossoming meat-industry :D
just started on a 16x16 map with 120 rocs and a walking beef-couple, lagging as hell, rocs r following my dwarfs, eating my framerate like hell  :'(
immigrants r new hauling forces, the 7 dwarfs u start with should get the biggest rooms and this game is not suited for emotional people.

btw, is golden furniture (& machinery) magma-safe?

@ the elf who got in:
Roc is a giant bird from egyptian mythology, so they don't really exist, happy now?
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:08 pm »

I've been reading. I've been reading as if this was real life, and we are all managers of dwarven colonies.
(Omnipresent will-o-teh-dwarves managers)

"I've been keeping some puppies in cages so they can't be adopted, and I can slaughter them."
The same thing with kittens. Other furry animals even. Not even the ugly ones, like cows.

You are all sociopaths.

Especially the trash compactor drawbridge maneuvers, regarding immigrants.
Burning people alive to save resources. That's not the worst, moders, who burn
people alive to garner resources. Baby bones. Baby Bones.

The mayor just wants some leather hats. Give him the hats, Jesus.
  • He need not be drowned, or burned, or both at the same time.
  • Fall down large pit and then drowned and burned.
  • Impaled as well?
  • *Noble bones are worth the same as baby bones*

Are there any others affected in an emotional manner by these atrocities? Please, let your voice be heard.
i don't see a problem with any of this.

CT

• Bay Watcher
  • Gah zombies!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 04, 2011, 06:11:54 pm »

NEEEECCCRRRROOOO
No, yep. That's what I meant too. I want to come out of the theater completely fucked up for weeks.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:03 pm »

Lolno.

Roc is a giant bird from egyptian mythology, so they don't really exist, happy now?
They do in vanilla DF.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 04, 2011, 07:53:46 pm »

Lolno.

They do in vanilla DF.

they very much do.. never got attacked by a dragon. but did get attacked by pleeeenty of rocs

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 04, 2011, 08:26:29 pm »

I just made a separate roc entry, stripped them of their megabeast status, accelerated their growth (full size in five years instead of 20), made them common domestic animals, made them PETs instead of PET_EXOTIC,  and (the icing on the infinite-food cake) multiplied their min and max clutch size by 100. I also bumped the original roc creature's value to 25.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 05, 2011, 04:45:24 am »

I used to care about my dwarves once upon a time. But after watching so many die in the most horrific ways possible, often not even at my own hand, I've grown desensitized.

That being said, I never actually try to kill any of my dwarves. It doesn't seem worth it, and there are so many things trying to kill them already that it doesn't seem fair.
You might say 'Thatkid is becoming used to tragedy'.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18