Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18

Author Topic: You are all monsters.  (Read 73185 times)

valayane

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels butchering Roc: Hndling Dangerous Creature
    • View Profile
Re: You are all monsters.
« Reply #120 on: July 06, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »

Dude, we're not monsters, or evil for that matter, in real life, we breed pigs and cows for meat, milk, leather, etc.
In DF, we just choose another animal for the job, why? cuz we used them in 40d and maybe even earlier, we dump nobles to save the other dwarves, cuz most of the time, dwarfs get executed for not getting the required items, we just want a happy, nice-running fortress without any limits (xept the map borders), elves prevent us from cutting trees, u try to make charcoal to fuel ur metal-industry without coal, u try to go on without killing ur cattle while ur lag goes out of the roof, we're just keep the game playable, fun and smooth. And an occasional siege saves ur dwarf military from getting bored.
Valayane likes Gold, Silver, Adamantium and Slade, he likes the color Bloodred, likes Dragons for their terrible majesty and prefers to consume Masterfully Prepared Roc Meat and Sunshine

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 06, 2011, 04:51:50 pm »

Dude, we're not monsters, or evil for that matter, in real life, we breed pigs and cows for meat, milk, leather, etc.
In DF, we just choose another animal for the job, why? cuz we used them in 40d and maybe even earlier, we dump nobles to save the other dwarves, cuz most of the time, dwarfs get executed for not getting the required items, we just want a happy, nice-running fortress without any limits (xept the map borders), elves prevent us from cutting trees, u try to make charcoal to fuel ur metal-industry without coal, u try to go on without killing ur cattle while ur lag goes out of the roof, we're just keep the game playable, fun and smooth. And an occasional siege saves ur dwarf military from getting bored.
I didn't think necromancers were in game yet.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 06, 2011, 05:09:41 pm »

Hey, OP:

I'm butchering kittens. Right. Now.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 06, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »

OP I see your problem. Your reading this from "Human" perspective in today's world. Whereas the forts we run are populated my alcoholic walking beards with a fetish for metal and stone. Living in a deadly world where the survival of entire civilizations stand on a knife-edge. To survive in such a cruel world you need to outdo it and make your dorfs the most badass they can be. No room for the weak in a world like Dwarf Fortresses.

Naz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 06, 2011, 05:40:56 pm »

Um guys...Why are we trying to justify our behavior or mollify the OP? Yes the point of this game is to run a successful Dwarven fortress and that's what I do or at least attempt to do but when have we EVER felt bad about igniting elves/cats/children/nobles or doing anything else simply for the lulz?

I leave you with this:

If you feel bad about something you're doing in Dwarf Fortress it means your blood alcohol level is DANGEROUSLY low.
Urist McDwarf cancels wear pants: Just because

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 06, 2011, 07:52:52 pm »

This thread

And here the most horrible thing I ever did was send a migrant on a suicide mining mission in order to cause a desirable collapse, all because I was too lazy to build support, a leaver, and linking the two. I also often contemplate, but never commit to, leaving my masons trapped when they manage to brick themselves up on the hostile side side of a wall in a cavern.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2011, 07:56:10 pm »

If you feel bad about something you're doing in Dwarf Fortress it means your blood alcohol level is DANGEROUSLY low.

I don't need blood alcohol to not feel bad about what I do. It comes naturally.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2011, 08:07:59 pm »

I used to care about my dwarves once upon a time. But after watching so many die in the most horrific ways possible, often not even at my own hand, I've grown desensitized.

That being said, I never actually try to kill any of my dwarves. It doesn't seem worth it, and there are so many things trying to kill them already that it doesn't seem fair.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2011, 08:09:15 pm »

I used to care about my dwarves once upon a time. But after watching so many die in the most horrific ways possible, often not even at my own hand, I've grown desensitized.

"Nothing has any meaning to thatkid anymore."

The babyfalls have worked then?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 06, 2011, 08:29:21 pm »

i take care of my dwarves.i always have industries that need even unskilled labour.  i am spread out, all over the map, on many many z levels.  i'm built to house, feed, and put to work over 200 dwarves.  there is always something to be done, and there are not nearly enough dwarves to do it.  i'm at about 140 total dwarves, 30-something being children.  so i have half the workforce i need to go back to active expansion and construction.  only "critical" industries have been running.

what happened to my dwarves?

goblins.  wave after wave of goblins.  they siege almost every season.i thought that when their demon showed up, in the second siege, "hey, i'll be ok now, they'll have no leader when he leaves the map."  despite him indeed no longer being listed on the civ screen, i suspect he is pulling the strings behind the scenes.  giant squads of goblins spawn from every edge of the map.  they bring herds of herds of trolls and ogres.  they invariably bring a squad full of marksgoblins, and usually a lasher squad to back them up.

over the past six years, my military has gone from a mighty 50 melee dwarves and 30 marksdwarves, all at least competent in their skills, and usually in more than one combat skill, to ten scarred veterans, three raw recruits, and 4 3 marksdwarves (forgotten beast fly just slammed one marksdwarf against a wall, splattering him)

i dont often kill cats, my fortress is a sprawl, and i need the vermin control.  as someone else pointed out, they also make a good kobold and goblin thief alarm.  i cage puppies till adulthood, to keep them safe.  i keep large packs of war dogs pastured in front of my entrances to protect against stealthers, and also to help my civilians make it inside if they get caught outside when a siege descends.

i do raise alpacas for wool, milk, and meat.

i use a mass-crypt approach to burial.  each "cell" is the classic "5x5 workshops surrounding a 3x3 stairwell" design.each of the four 5x5 chambers are stocked with 23 coffins, allowing both pet and citizen burial.  the side nearest the door (yes i use doors, usually semi-precious) has only 3 of these coffins.  the open corners have statues (usually platinum, but sometimes other materials), one of which is designated as a statue garden.  the walls are engraved.in the centeral stairwell at each space that borders a door (4 total) are the slabs of dwarves who's corpses i could not recover.

i have one tomb demanding noble, my duchess.  she has an artifact obsidian coffin, placed in the center of the 5x5, with a clear glass statue at each corner (she likes clear glass).  the floors are smoothed, and the walls engraved.  i am preparing a tomb for my king.  so far, i have an adamantine sarcophagus.  he'll have statues of the same metal.the private floor of his aboveground keep is going to be solid copper, the metal that was the foundation of our settlement.

by my calculations, i have 322 dead pets and dwarves, perhaps a little less, 300 at the lowest.  my max pop was 190.  it is year 11 since embark.

the goblins, oh so many goblins.  i have large areas of the surface, perhaps slightly less than a quarter of it, covered in assorted goblin corpses, parts, and various other "materials".

my duchess makes unreasonable demands, but i have a nice jail.  that and most of my metalsmiths are military as well (she demands gold) they generally dont care about anything.  the prisons are nice, engraved.  filled with beds, tables, chairs, food and drink stockpiles, and the chains are of valuable metal.

my mayors are good folks.  usually ban the export of querns or large gems (depending on the mayor, it's been passed back and forth a few times).

all in all, my fort is like a digital antfarm i participate in in a somewhat limited function.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:50:07 pm by RAKninja »
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

dragonshardz

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PONY:ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 06, 2011, 08:30:40 pm »

Why, exactly, was this thread necro'd?

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #131 on: July 06, 2011, 09:12:24 pm »

We're getting Necromancers in the next version, are we not?

Rather appropriate.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

aepurniet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 06, 2011, 11:21:30 pm »

If this offends you, I'm sure you can play some sort of rainbow sprite / my little pony game.  There will be nothing to think about, and you can just be baby sat in your walled garden feel goodery.  Also the inability to distinguish between real life and fantasy should have you running to your local neighborhood head shrinker, there's something in the DSM IV about that.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 06, 2011, 11:37:37 pm »

Torture is Fun! The only monster here is YOU for not killing dwarven babies!
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

HorridOwn4ge

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is average nowadays...
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 06, 2011, 11:46:36 pm »

If this offends you, I'm sure you can play some sort of rainbow sprite / my little pony game.  There will be nothing to think about, and you can just be baby sat in your walled garden feel goodery.  Also the inability to distinguish between real life and fantasy should have you running to your local neighborhood head shrinker, there's something in the DSM IV about that.

I bet you wouldn't recognize a troll when it dick-slaps you in the face huh?
Quote from: SmileyMan
I got fed up with my fortress, so I decided to kill everyone (abandon is for elves) with a cave-in.

OK, cave-ins were always pretty deadly, but with the new falling object damage they are downright brutal.  As far as I can make out from the logs, many people were killed by the flying bodies of other victims.  One baby's corpse ricocheted off three other people, two walls and the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18