Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 31.16 makes weird volcanos  (Read 6059 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: 31.16 makes weird volcanos
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2010, 09:23:20 am »

Wonderful!  Thank you for sharing this.  I now have a new settlement named FierySpikes.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:50 am »

I had to crank down overseer setting to get it to render so no trees and crappy textures but here tis.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:o It looks like someone impaled a metal pipe into Madonna's chest...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

NightmareBros

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2010, 10:07:48 am »

Okay, this is offically Armok's personal magama forge.
I mean, look at the shape of the thing! it's got two spires and a giant funnel! there's no way this is a regular volcano!

jei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 11:22:24 am »

I mean, look at the shape of the thing! it's got two spires and a giant funnel! there's no way this is a regular volcano!

Well, they're a pretty regular occurrence now in DF.
Engraved on the monitor is an exceptionally designed image of FPS in Dwarf Fortress and it's multicore support by Toady. Toady is raising the multicore. The artwork relates to the masterful multicore support by Toady for the Dwarf Fortress in midwinter of 2010. Toady is surrounded by dwarves. The dwarves are rejoicing.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 01:39:59 pm »

Two tall peaks and a volcano in between... Someone HAS to build something impossibly awesome here!

Emily

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2010, 04:52:40 pm »

I had to crank down overseer setting to get it to render so no trees and crappy textures but here tis.

Okay that makes my weird volcano boring by comparison.

It looks like this, for those who care:

Note that the pipe isn't even connected to the mountain.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2010, 11:03:48 pm »

Okay that makes my weird volcano boring by comparison.
Your hill have eyes!  :o
Finis sanctificat media.

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2010, 03:28:14 am »

This (or not this?) map also have weird rivers that ends by the map square and disappears in nowhere.

And those megapolices that covers THREE map squares (16*16 blocks each consist of 48*48 tiles)...
Finis sanctificat media.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 04:31:00 am »

I tried to get a picture of this in Overseer, but either Overseer can't handle the map, my laptop can't handle the latest version of overseer, or my laptop can't handle overseer handling this map.

Someone else want to try? I want to see this thing in 3D.

Is your Overseer cleared for 31.16?
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2010, 05:10:08 am »

Well, they're a pretty regular occurrence now in DF.
It just means that there's a lot of magma forges, and demons down there are probably just fair laborers of the great world. Dwarves, being sadistic consumers as they are, do not understand what they break. They dig and mine out everything they find, not thinking that it could be someone's natural industry they break. Those adamantine spires are probably some natural equipment of the world's industry as well, like nerves for human body or something. That's why demons are pissed off at dwarves mining them out.

Actually, all this is just a speculation and random ideas, but... Why not? What do we know about the DF world? Nothing! Could it be that the world is itself an inorganic huge living (in some way) being (it even has a name!) with demons as its immune system guarding its blood (magma) and nevers (adamantine)? And those volcanoes are just natural furnaces which form obsidian and warm the air where needed?

Hehe, I love DF world.

P.S. The above ideas mean that "civilized" races are in fact some parasites on a great body of the world. Elves try to be fair with the world, but other races hate them for that and kill them o_O. It means that we (dorf-lovers and elf-haters) are just a part of a great infection.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2010, 05:11:50 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 09, 2010, 05:48:18 am »

Demon Smith: "Dwarfanity is a virus...and we are the cure."
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Brian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 09, 2010, 07:40:14 am »

It's a friggen spaceship's cannon.

analog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 09, 2010, 11:46:44 am »

Just reporting that I just noticed the same volcano between two spires in my .16 fort. Different gen, I just did the same "50 volcanoes minimum" on world generation. The spires stop at the same level as the volcano. This could make for interesting on-top magma-works   8)
A dwarf is a short, bearded, drunk embodiment of Survival of the Fittest, chasing you around and admiring your haunting moos.

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 10, 2010, 02:58:06 am »

I really wish volcanoes were fixed. Not a high priority though, sedimentary stone (preferably flux) is usually more important a criterion in my site selection.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #29 on: October 10, 2010, 07:49:48 am »

I tried to get a picture of this in Overseer, but either Overseer can't handle the map, my laptop can't handle the latest version of overseer, or my laptop can't handle overseer handling this map.

Someone else want to try? I want to see this thing in 3D.

Is your Overseer cleared for 31.16?

Copy the memory.xml from the latest dfhack into the overseer directory (folder).
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.
Pages: 1 [2] 3