Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12

Author Topic: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)  (Read 13409 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2010, 10:40:16 am »

Ah, right.  Makes... a little more sense, I guess.  And yeah, the guy probably didn't have any plans to go to America anyway.

Kindof irritating when they start censoring lots of not particularly offensive words, though.  I mean, it took me ages to work out what "T***" meant in the Daily Mail.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2010, 10:41:58 am »

Does it mean twat?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2010, 10:44:12 am »

I got that too, but it didn't make sense in context.

Turned out to be "turd".

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 10:44:50 am »

You should always be at least worried enough about stuff like this to show that you're against it.  If the only people pushing one way or another are the lobbyists, the ones with more money are going to win.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 10:45:34 am »

I got that too, but it didn't make sense in context.

Turned out to be "turd".

That censorshit is just to stupid to comment on.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2010, 10:49:02 am »

Kindof irritating when they start censoring lots of not particularly offensive words, though.  I mean, it took me ages to work out what "T***" meant in the Daily Mail..
You think that's crazy? I used to be semi-addicted to the Phantasy Star Universe Beta, and it censored the words h*** l******** and j**.

Guess what they are. Just try.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2010, 10:52:16 am »

I once got muted for like a half hour on Wyvern for avoiding the censor to say "Dick Clark"
Shoes...

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2010, 10:53:10 am »

*SIGH* That censoring is just too stupid to comment on. Maybe the creators of it were jew hating, help fearing, lightning haters?

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 10:54:04 am »

Kindof irritating when they start censoring lots of not particularly offensive words, though.  I mean, it took me ages to work out what "T***" meant in the Daily Mail..
You think that's crazy? I used to be semi-addicted to the Phantasy Star Universe Beta, and it censored the words h*** l******** and j**.

Guess what they are. Just try.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well I have no idea about the first two but clearly the third one is to keep from offending antisemitic people. :P
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 10:54:25 am »

I guessed "Jew" (some people use it as an offensive word :/), but the other 2... woah.

Was that just for the purposes of being annoying?

And wow.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 11:16:19 am »

That's why I like NC Soft -- it's a setting to censor.  You don't want censorship?  Turn it off!  You don't want to see offensive words?  Leave it on.  If you want to curse, you just do, and nobody really tries to get around the censorship (which I've noticed in most cases it's more a case of trying to say whatever non-offensive thing you want to say that's inexplicably censored) because it's not censored ... for you (and probably 90% of the others who are on there)

Plus, in City of Hero's, it's very appropriate for bad words like #@%& to be censored.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 11:19:03 am »

I'm rather amazed that some random kid in Britain can send messages to the US President's email account. Or hell, that this is the first time someone's taken advantage of that to call a president names. Name-calling is pretty common, to make use of understatement; the fact that all that's standing between me and starting a flame-war with Clinton is the threat of being banned from the US is kind of impressive in a weird way.

Oh, we're still spiraling into a techo-dystopic anti-intellectual society with no freedom? Why am I not suprised again?

You really think that this is indicative of the US government trying to control the people with technology and convince us it's for our own good to keep us from being well-informed and intelligent? Not that I necessarily disagree with all aspects of that, but censoring some pirate sites is hardly the same thing. What I'm getting from this is 'I don't like people doing things I don't like about things I like' and some incorrect usage of big words for the purpose of sounding intelligent. I don't approve of this sort of censorship bullshit either, but it's purely a play for a few senators to pay back their donors who are being undercut by these free sites, nothing more.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2010, 11:20:55 am »

"Phone" was censored on Runescape.  This generally just made perfectly innocent statements mindboggling (such as "Brb, need to go get the *****").

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2010, 11:21:35 am »

I simply see it as another aspect of the "Internet and knowlage are evil! Save us government!" thing. Not entirely related, I'll admit, but in the same train of thought.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2010, 11:25:57 am »

Yeah, it's definitely got parallels with the usual 'government fearing the internet because it doesn't understand it' thing, but I don't think it's quite in line with it. Pirating is a pretty easy concept to grasp, and the entertainment industry does lose tons of money to people downloading stuff for free, so I imagine that the senators involved in this actually understand what they're talking about for once. It's still a dick move, though.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12