Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)  (Read 13391 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell, Congress?! (USA)
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2010, 11:31:53 am »

@Leafsnail: One would wonder what their reasoning and logic, or lack of it, is. I mean, asking for help is very important in online games.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2010, 11:36:15 am »

Yeah, it's definitely got parallels with the usual 'government fearing the internet because it doesn't understand it' thing, but I don't think it's quite in line with it. Pirating is a pretty easy concept to grasp, and the entertainment industry does lose tons of money to people downloading stuff for free, so I imagine that the senators involved in this actually understand what they're talking about for once. It's still a dick move, though.
One of the lead senators for this once suggested destroying your personal computer if you fileshared. even if they know what they're doing, one of them is still crazy and shouldn't be listened to on this.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Eugenitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2010, 12:07:18 pm »

That's not all he's crazy on. Orrin Hatch is a nutjob through and through. Psychotic authoritarian to the core. Pick an issue, any issue.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2010, 12:17:52 pm »

Fishnet leggings.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2010, 12:29:42 pm »

"Phone" was censored on Runescape.  This generally just made perfectly innocent statements mindboggling (such as "Brb, need to go get the *****").

But then... Who was *****?
!!&!!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2010, 12:31:17 pm »

Fishnet leggings.

Tools of the devil used by succubi to drain the willpower from a man.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »

succubi? WE MUST BLOW THEM UP! THINK OF THE CHILDREN! ::) ::) ::)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2010, 02:28:47 pm »

I love the whole "Think of the children" arguement. We kids are probably always more knowledgable on the ins and outs of a lot of the subject matter these people get all crazy over. Internet is a techno-devil? Most teenagers use the Internet more on a daily basis than a Congressman does weekly. Drugs in schools? Even the clean kids like me aren't as ignorant as Congress. When it gets to taxes and munincipal ordnances, sure, let the adults handle things.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »

Everyone seems to forget how Rock&Roll was SATAAAAAAAAN some 30-40 years ago. Now it's clean and wholesome compared to rap, which will be clean and wholesome compared to whatever mash-up of derogatory terms and racial slurs and cursing and- oh wait, that's rap.

What the hell kind of music will our children listen to?
Thou art I, I art Thou.
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2010, 03:49:14 pm »

Whatever horrid genre Justin Bebier manages to spawn, I bet. And then we'll all be calling for the censor hammer and feel justified in doing so because everyone in the world is shortsighted.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2010, 05:11:17 pm »

That's known as "quality control."
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »

Well the congress at least understands one thing: Laws have no meaning on the Internet. The bill is about shutting down sites deemed 'pirate sites' by some department. It has nothing to do with justice or laws. If a judge would have ruled the site is illegal, then that's at least something that's been double checked and backed up by facts (though this isn't infallible either). This bill is to propose that the government can bypass judges entirely in this case and act on their own behalf, shutting down sites not because it was proven beyond any reasonable doubt, but because the government itself wants the site to be taken down.

The hell? Just the hell?? One needs to prove beyond reasonable doubt that a shop is selling drugs under the counter to shut it down, but a site can be shut down without much in the form of checks and balances? The hell? ???

If you want to do something about piracy, play by the book. There are plenty of ways to shut down a site through the justice system and even if there are no ways, then the bill should be aimed at making ways. That has always been the case for illegal activities and if one would want to change that, I suggest they start by dismantling the justice system directly instead of using sly ways like these to put the judges out of a job. Oh wait, they may get bills like these passed while stating up front that they want to replace the judges with the department of justice would get them tossed out of the US. I predict that there will soon appear bills of the same type applying to drugs, immigration and extensions to the anti-terrorism act. Enjoy seeing the end of justice as we know it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2010, 06:41:03 pm »

The US has a disproportionatedly big content industry (most modern blockbluster movies come from the US, after all). So it's not that strange that they are able to influence their goverment to extents that aren't achieved elsewhere (both because of the influence they wield directly, and because said goverment is likely to worry more about real or perceived damages to the industry)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2010, 09:55:20 pm »

That and most of the people here seem to be 20 IQ points away from retarded. At least where I live.
Thou art I, I art Thou.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2010, 09:56:23 pm »

That and most of the people here seem to be 20 IQ points away from retarded. At least where I live.

That is only like low average.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12