Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214830 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2205 on: September 11, 2016, 07:17:07 pm »

I need to "demonstrate how to find the surface area, area, and final position of an arbitrary object moving in four dimensions." There aren't any numbers associated with the problem, he just wants us to show it worked out. I'm really not sure how to approach the problem, but that's my entire test tomorrow.

How to find the surface area depends on how the given object is described. How to find the final position depends on in what form the motion is given. If the question isn't any more specific than what you've quoted, then there is literally nothing more to say. If he wants more details, tell him you too need more details, and you can't read minds.

Although if you're a smartass you could just wait for the object to finish moving and then check its shirt size.

I asked him, and he said that "it's an object in motion, rotating along the x' axis," so I'm thinking that there's just not gonna be any real help on this one ahead of time.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 07:19:13 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: September 12, 2016, 01:14:19 pm »

Can someone explain to me how to find the integral of 1/(b(x^2)+(a+b)) with regard to x? Assuming a and b are constant and 0>b>a.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: September 12, 2016, 01:19:23 pm »

I wasn't taught about that. Explains why I was unable to solve it then.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: September 14, 2016, 08:05:31 am »

I'm really having trouble wrapping my head around how to use the Taylor Series. Can someone explain it to me in layman's terms?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2209 on: September 14, 2016, 08:34:57 am »

Functions in general are way complicated. Polynomials on the other hand are fairly simple and well-understood. So it would be pretty cool if we could write every function as a polynomial, right?

Taylor series try to do this step-wise. First you pick a point that you're interested in and take a very simple polynomial that looks like your function at that point. Then, to correct for this very simple polynomial becoming very dissimilar to your function further away from that point, you make it slightly more complicated. Then you correct again, and again, and again... And every time your approximation becomes better. After 'infinitely many corrections', it becomes perfect! The practical value of Taylor Series though is that a fairly rough approximation is usually good enough.

A valuable example is doing the Taylor Series of a polynomial. Yes, it sounds stupid, because we'll just get the original polynomial back, but maybe it'll help you grasp the concept. (I'll skip the steps where I calculate the coefficients, that you'll have to do yourself.)

We want to approximate, let's say, x^4 + 3x^3 - x^2 - 10x + 3, at the point 0.

First we take a very simple approximation: 3. Works fine at 0, sucks pretty much everywhere else.
Refining this, we get -10x + 3. Better, but not great.
Then we get -x^2 - 10x + 3. Hey, it's starting to make wobbles and everything - we're getting somewhere!
Then comes 3x^3 - x^2 - 10x + 3. Aaaaalmost good, but still weird far away from our point of interest 0.
The next approximation, x^4 + 3x^3 - x^2 - 10x + 3, is pretty good though!

Try doing this explicitly - calculating the coefficients, not just reading them off! - for, I dunno, x^3 - 4x^2 + 2x + 1.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: September 14, 2016, 08:48:54 am »

To explain a bit more, basically what you do is find a function whose value and first, second, third, etc. derivatives equal the value of your function at a specific point. At the point you chose, the two functions should be exactly equivalent up to whatever derivative you're using. As you get further and further away, the functions will diverge, but they will stay relatively close as long as you pick points close to the original.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2211 on: September 14, 2016, 09:10:29 am »

In case you meant where you might actually need it, it's sometimes (often) incredibly convenient to take something like log(x-n) and turn it into a polynomial instead.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2212 on: September 14, 2016, 11:57:16 am »

Man, I should've made an attempt to understand this way earlier in the semester.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: September 23, 2016, 04:19:19 am »

What are the odds of double sixes when rolling 4d6? How do you work it out?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: September 23, 2016, 06:09:20 am »

The general solution is to use the binomial distribution.

k is the number of successes you're testing for (2), n is the number of dice (4), p is the probability of success (1/6).

As for an explanation, note that there is a term pk, which is the probability of 2 successes, and it's multiplied by (1-p)n-k, which is the probability of two failures: which means you're measuring the chance of getting two 6s followed by 2 non-6s. But since we don't care what order the 6s are in, we can work out how many possible ways 2 things could be arranged in 4 slots (equation 2, aka the binomial coefficient), then since each of those patterns is just as likely as the first one we worked out, we can multiply the chance of that one pattern by the number of patterns to get the total chance of gettings 2 sixes in 4 dice.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 06:24:05 am by Reelya »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: September 23, 2016, 06:32:45 am »

Here's an inverted version for Darkling users.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: September 23, 2016, 04:30:11 pm »

The general solution is to use the binomial distribution.

k is the number of successes you're testing for (2), n is the number of dice (4), p is the probability of success (1/6).

As for an explanation, note that there is a term pk, which is the probability of 2 successes, and it's multiplied by (1-p)n-k, which is the probability of two failures: which means you're measuring the chance of getting two 6s followed by 2 non-6s. But since we don't care what order the 6s are in, we can work out how many possible ways 2 things could be arranged in 4 slots (equation 2, aka the binomial coefficient), then since each of those patterns is just as likely as the first one we worked out, we can multiply the chance of that one pattern by the number of patterns to get the total chance of gettings 2 sixes in 4 dice.
How do I put this into a calculator? The scientific one that Windows 10 comes with, specifically.

Also, is mc2 (m)*(c2) or (mc)2?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: September 23, 2016, 06:06:54 pm »

How do I put this into a calculator? The scientific one that Windows 10 comes with, specifically.

Also, is mc2 (m)*(c2) or (mc)2?
The Windows 10 calculator has a factorial function yeah? So just... plug it in. :P (If you're really having issues with it then just throw it in wolfram alpha instead, but you should just be able to substitute into the final equation and plug stuff in just fine).

And if you're talking about e=mc2 then it's m*c2.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: September 23, 2016, 06:30:49 pm »

0.16. With the two equations (minus the end bit of the first since I'm not looking for non-6's after I get two) I get 0.16. So there's a 16% chance that rolling four 6-sided dice will end up with two of them rolling 6's.

What's the equation for finding the odds of rolling at least two 6's on four 6-sided dice?

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: September 23, 2016, 06:42:00 pm »

What's the equation for finding the odds of rolling at least two 6's on four 6-sided dice?

You could just run the equation with k equaling 2, 3, and 4 and just add those three chances together.
I consume
I purchase
I consume again
Pages: 1 ... 146 147 [148] 149 150 ... 173