Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214827 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2235 on: October 04, 2016, 11:49:15 am »

Does the domain mean everything that COULD be plugged into the function? If I want to say "this makes no real, physical sense to include this in the input", what would I do?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2236 on: October 17, 2016, 08:22:39 pm »

What are randU, randN, and randR?
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: November 05, 2016, 06:50:01 pm »

Fuzzy topology indeed is a thing. There's a whole book series called "Advances in Fuzzy Systems - Applications and Theory".
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: November 06, 2016, 06:37:36 pm »

Well, you need a way to connect two things A and B to get a new thing C, and a way to derive a degree of truth of C from the degrees of truth of A and B, no? Just fix a rule for that then. For example: If the truth value of A is a, and the truth value of A => C is b, assign to C the truth value a*b. You'd need some way to resolve conflicts though - maybe via taking a supremum?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: November 12, 2016, 12:54:08 am »

Oh boy.

Can I just say I have no idea what's going on anymore there.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: November 12, 2016, 02:58:27 pm »

I'm not sure how to prove b. As I can see I don't really have x0 defined but I'm supposed to prove the claim for all n ∈ N...
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2241 on: November 12, 2016, 03:03:08 pm »

n must be >= 2, right?
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: November 12, 2016, 03:09:48 pm »

No, the given assertion that had been concluded only works for n >= 2, but I need to prove for all n ∈ N.

It's moot anyways because I'm a doof and I just realized now that I can just defined x0 by rearranging the recursive definition. :P
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2243 on: November 12, 2016, 03:12:39 pm »

Well, it doesn't explicitly define nx for x<0, but I guess that works.
Sigtext!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: November 12, 2016, 03:30:05 pm »

n can't go lower than 0 anyways because it's a natural number...

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: November 12, 2016, 03:48:09 pm »

Nevermind, I still can't solve this. I have no idea how to do this. Trying to prove it just gives me shitloads of fourth order polynomials and I mean I can probably solve it but there's probably an easy way to go about it...

EDIT: Nevermind, I overthought this.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:50:50 pm by Cinder »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2246 on: November 12, 2016, 03:55:07 pm »

Prove the base case, n=1. Then take an inductive step, which will give you an expression of something like (I don't know what notation you use) |xk+1+1 - xk+1|. You can use the previously accepted proposition to work from there. Does that help?

Edit: all good, then. You figured yourself out in the time it took me to find a pen and scratch out a proof. :P

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: November 12, 2016, 04:06:31 pm »

Well, that's what I did. :P

I got stuck because I was trying to prove that an absolute value of an expression is higher or equal to zero before I realized that's literally part of the definition. :P

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: November 13, 2016, 07:11:19 am »

This might sound stupid, but how do I formally prove that a sequence is unbounded? I know I can easily eyeball sequences and tell if they're bounded or not, but I have no idea how to prove it.

EDIT: Nevermind, I guess I can always just prove that the absolute of the sequence's limit isn't a real number, so there can't be a real number bigger than it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:15:13 am by Cinder »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: November 13, 2016, 08:02:30 am »

More technically, you need to prove that for any real number you choose, there's a sequence element with an even larger absolute value. With this, you've shown that your sequence does not completely lie in any real interval, hence it is not bounded.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 173