Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216311 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1395 on: January 15, 2014, 09:19:07 am »

Only one of the complex roots is called the principal root, it's generally the one with the smallest argument (the argument is the angle to the positive X-axis in the complex plane). So if you take the nth complex roots of any complex number and look at them in the complex plane, they'll form a regular n-gon around the complex origin, and the principal root is the first root you stumble upon when turning the positive real axis counterclockwise.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1396 on: January 16, 2014, 06:36:01 am »

Question~

0C0 != 1, according to my math tutor. In fact, it's not defined. But the equation for nCr is n! /(r!(n-r)!), and since 0! = 1, I can't see any reason why 0C0 shouldn't exist :X

Curiously WA seems to say 0C0=1, and I don't have my ol' TI84 with me.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: January 16, 2014, 06:44:24 am »

Question~

0C0 != 1, according to my math tutor. In fact, it's not defined. But the equation for nCr is n! /(r!(n-r)!), and since 0! = 1, I can't see any reason why 0C0 shouldn't exist :X

Curiously WA seems to say 0C0=1, and I don't have my ol' TI84 with me.
C(0,0) is the same as the number of subsets of the empty set that contain no elements. There is only one such subset, the empty set itself.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: January 16, 2014, 07:13:43 am »

What kind of definition does your tutor use that does not define 0C0?

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1399 on: January 16, 2014, 07:54:51 am »

The Korean High School Definition, I guess :P

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: February 08, 2014, 04:52:16 pm »

Hmmm, so I'm trying to an area between two curves problem.
I've got

2/(1+x2)
and
3-2cos(x)

But I'm having trouble finding where these two graphs intersect. Can anyone help?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: February 08, 2014, 05:00:26 pm »

I'm pretty sure that there isn't actually a way to solve such a graph intersection exactly. Just do a numeric approximation.

fractalman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 08, 2014, 08:10:59 pm »

y=2/(1+x2)
and
y=3-2cos(x)

lets see...2/(1+x^2)=3-2cos(x)
2=3+3x^2-2cos(x)-2x^2cos(x)

0=1+3x2-2cos(x)-2x2cos(x)

...lemme guess, that's as far as you got too?

...yeah, just do it numerically, graphing calculators have a pretty decent zoom if you're too lazy to newton's method it. 
This is a masterwork ledger.  It contains 3719356 pages on the topic of the precise number and location of stones in Spindlybrooks.  In the text, the dwarves are hauling.
"And here is where we get the undead unicorns. Stop looking at me that way, you should have seen the zombie deer running around last week!"

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: February 09, 2014, 04:10:43 pm »

Hmmm, so I'm trying to an area between two curves problem.
I've got

2/(1+x2)
and
3-2cos(x)

But I'm having trouble finding where these two graphs intersect. Can anyone help?
1/(1+x2) looks a bit like being related to logarithms somehow - through integration, maybe, I haven't done calculus in about a year. I'd just try stuff with analytical methods.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 09, 2014, 05:16:59 pm »

1/(1+x2) looks a bit like being related to logarithms somehow - through integration, maybe, I haven't done calculus in about a year. I'd just try stuff with analytical methods.

It's the derivative of the arctangent.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: February 09, 2014, 05:33:26 pm »

For math problems I'm stuck on I.E. I don't know what it's SUPPOSED to look like, I use Wolfram Alpha to find out what my end result should look like, and then try and fill in the missing steps.

To that end:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 05:38:33 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 10, 2014, 06:58:12 am »

It's the derivative of the arctangent.
Okay, great - then integration should do the trick, shouldn't it? There's theorems for that, aren't there?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: February 10, 2014, 07:52:18 am »

Integration won't really help with anything. As I mentioned earlier, there seems to be no exact method to find roots of nontrivial polynomials in both x and exp(x) (unless you use the Lambert W function, which will still kinda not be useful for anything). And really, if there is such a method, it would be far too advanced for people who are just learning about integration and areas between two curves (which is my impression of the current situation).

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 10, 2014, 08:14:59 am »

Idea: Either the solution is a nice round number, then we could just try out some nice round numbers that give nice round cosine values (0 and pi come to mind), or it's not, which would make a numeric approach the best choice.

On the other hand - telescopic sums! Do a taylor expansion of cos x, and bring 1-x² to the other side; that should give an at least tolerable sum.
The Bay12 postcard club

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: February 11, 2014, 01:54:38 pm »

Well, the intersecting points are -not- round numbers, I can tell you that much. Just look under my spoiler for what the co-ordinates are.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 173