Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216570 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1125 on: August 28, 2013, 08:54:36 pm »

Hello! Have a question about factoring. Well... several, actually. Homework I'm doing, and I feel completely lost, specifically finishing up an earlier worksheet AND doing a new one.
First off! I use a box method of factoring, but this falls short with polynomials difficult to factor.
Example: 5X2 - 17x + 6
On the second sheet, there are some polynomials in irregular forms I'm not sure how to change into a more regular form.
Example: 15a2b - 10ab2
(this one is supposed to be factored completely, not even sure about the first...)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 08:58:17 pm by Powder Miner »

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: August 28, 2013, 08:57:33 pm »

Is that first one supposed to be X to the S? Or is it supposed to have a number in there?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:05 pm »

That's supposed to be a 2... I must be tired.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: August 28, 2013, 08:58:57 pm »

Quadratic formula, babe =]
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 28, 2013, 09:01:41 pm »

Aw, man. The quadratic formula is pretty much my nemesis in algebra.
Which is probably why it hadn't come to mind.
It looks to be working now though. Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:07:54 pm by Powder Miner »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 28, 2013, 09:11:21 pm »

It is your friend.  Use it until you love it.

Like, seriously, it is one of the best things ever.  It is your friend.  It loves you back and will be faithful for the rest of your life :I
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 28, 2013, 09:14:20 pm »

Ahaha, I can see that.
Back in my algebra and algebra 2 classes, I hadn't got a complete understanding of what I was actually supposed to DO with it.
So I was all like... WHAT DO THESE NUMBERS MEAN?!
The internet solved that mighty fast though.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: August 28, 2013, 09:16:29 pm »

Aw, man. The quadratic formula is pretty much my nemesis in algebra.
You're probably going to need it a lot for this course, your teacher may allow you to have it written down on a note card or something, otherwise you might want to make sure you have it memorised.

15a2b - 10ab2

For this one you first want to make sure you factor out the greatest common factor. To find it I find it can help to change it to individual terms being multiplied, so something like this:
15*a*a*b - 10*a*b*b

So we see that both terms have "a" and a "b" that can be taken out of both of them. Both the 15 and the 10 are divisible by 5 so we can also take out 5 from both of them, giving us a factor "5ab", which gives us:

5ab(3a - 2b)
(If you're having trouble wrapping your head around factors, always remember it's just the reverse of multiplying something out)

I think that's all there is to it... I could be wrong.

Ahaha, I can see that.
Back in my algebra and algebra 2 classes, I hadn't got a complete understanding of what I was actually supposed to DO with it.
So I was all like... WHAT DO THESE NUMBERS MEAN?!
The internet solved that mighty fast though.
Your teacher really should have explained this... I mean it's supposed to help you factor a quadratic equation that's hard to factor...

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 28, 2013, 09:20:50 pm »

Algebra 1 I had absences smack in the middle of the quadratic formula, my Algebra 2 teacher was just apathetic (my least favorite kind of teacher).
Edit: Haha! Finished the first sheet! ...Now to do the second. All 26 problems... this is going to be one of those nights.
hmm... I'm asked to factor completely for that question you talked about, Pnx. Pretty sure this means that I have to find X a or b or whatever.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 09:47:01 pm by Powder Miner »

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 28, 2013, 09:56:41 pm »

I'm not sure how to set out the answer OR what they're really looking for...

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:03 pm »

Yeah, uh, more factoring difficulties. I have a 4th degree polynomial now.
r3+3r2-54r
...How do I factor this?

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 28, 2013, 10:32:53 pm »

Factor out the r => quadratic formula.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: August 28, 2013, 10:33:28 pm »

Aaaand now I feel stupid.
This is what happens when I try to math near midnight.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: August 28, 2013, 10:34:28 pm »

Don't feel stupid.  I probably have literally a decade of doing this on you.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 28, 2013, 11:29:46 pm »

The quadratic formula is a pain in the ass to use, especially if you're doing it by hand. It's usually faster and easier to look at the polynomial and see if you can figure out the factors, rather than just immediately going to the quadratic formula.

E.G.:

5x2 - 17x + 6

You're looking for factors of 5 that when multiplied with factors of 6 will add up to 17. We know we're looking for a sum and not a difference because the sign of the constant term (the 6 in this instance) is positive. So,

5 * 3
+ 1 * 2

Now that we know the factors, we just need to ensure that the signs match up. The end result is:

(5x - 2)(x - 3)

r3+3r2-54r

Let's just look at r2 + 3r - 54 since that's the important part. Since the sign of the constant term (54) is negative, we're looking for factors of 1 that when multiplied with factors of 54 the result differs by three.

1 * 6
- 1 * 9

That we got -3 here is mostly irrelevant since if you change the order you'll end up with +3. The important thing is that the factors differ by 3. Now that we know them, it's just making sure the signs are correct. The result is:

(r + 9)(r - 6)

With the final answer being r(r + 9)(r - 6).

You're probably not practiced enough for this advice to apply to you, but if you're looking at a quadratic and it's not immediately apparent what the factors are, use the quadratic formula. And then if you are practiced enough where this does apply to you, you'll probably plug it into a calculator or a computer. Arithmetic is tedious as hell.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 173