Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 216543 times)

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #1155 on: September 06, 2013, 10:55:24 am »

So, I had to skip a few years of foundational Algebra to get into College Prep courses, and that's kind of left me on uneasy footing for the rest of my academic career. Additionally, I don't feel like I've ever been taught the reasons why the equations I've been memorizing work, which is clashing with the whole way my brain thinks and learns... it's like I'm being told to go through motions, without ever getting the reasons why. I tested my way into Calculus at my University, but I don't personally feel like I have a strong enough foundation.

To fix this before I get back to school in Winter, I'm considering picking up a decent math text to self-teach from. Can anyone suggest a good one? Ideally, something that doesn't skimp on teaching underlying rules, so it's not about taking their word for it, or memorizing without understanding. And which I could find older versions of, because I am pretty poor right now.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 11:00:08 am by Solifuge »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: September 06, 2013, 12:44:56 pm »

This is a Mathematician textbook, but if you're asking why equations work then you have to go to the source--you won't get this viewpoint from any high school text.  Algebra by Birkhoff and Mac Lane.  The first chapter will tell you way more than you ever wanted to know.

Otherwise, if you can get an old copy of A Survey of Modern Algebra, I think that would be even better.  It's basically the same book but it feels easier.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: September 06, 2013, 10:09:55 pm »

Thanks! I tracked down a copy of A Survey of Modern Algebra. Looks a bit dense, but I'll give it a proper read this weekend, and see how overwhelmed I feel.

This would be the first math text I've read that actually defines things, though. I definitely like that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: September 06, 2013, 10:15:28 pm »

It is dense.  Don't worry if it takes you an hour per page to read and really, deeply understand at first.  It's one of those things where, if you keep plugging at it, you'll actually feel yourself getting smarter.

If you're really trying to learn how to manipulate equations, then the first section of the first chapter could be enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: September 06, 2013, 10:44:54 pm »

Wait, there are books that tell you why math is the way it is, and not just throw problems at you? Why don't we learn about this stuff in like...5th grade?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: September 06, 2013, 10:49:00 pm »

Wait, there are books that tell you why math is the way it is, and not just throw problems at you? Why don't we learn about this stuff in like...5th grade?

Because it requires substantially more mental firepower and abstraction skill than most 5th graders have, and because the more abstract, the more pure, the more explaining why it is how it is, the more effort it takes to apply to the real world.

And then. . . "when will we use this?"

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: September 06, 2013, 10:56:02 pm »

The thing about that, though, is that through 13 years of standard education and 3 years of college, I still don't know why any of math is the way it is. Sure, I know a little about trig, and the barest bones of calculus (mostly thanks to you guys, actually,) but I don't know the first thing about why.

The question "when will we use this," is largely attributed to the prevailing attitude toward math. It's difficult, arcane, and the meanings of mathematical objects and subjects are purposely obfuscated because math is only for the elite of the smartypants. Math is only to be used as a last ditch effort or as a tool to do something specific. It's not artistic, it's not beautiful, it's not elegant. Math is that specific set of wrenches that you hate but have to have in the garage, just in case. There is no why, there only is. These are the rules, and if you don't memorize this book full of them, we'll move on without you and you're an idiot.

Maybe if we started teaching students why math is instead of just what it is, that perception would begin to change a little.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: September 07, 2013, 09:33:04 am »

Would it even be realistic to introduce group theory and abstract algebra during high school? Those aren't exactly fields that are easy to grasp even for people that graduated high school with flying colours.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: September 07, 2013, 10:03:24 am »

If you ask me, maths is at its most beautiful when used to model a physical process - I find this often helps me understand the "why" behind the numbers and thier manipulations, in some kind of reverse engineering process.
This is a blank sig.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: September 07, 2013, 11:18:11 am »

Bleh.  That's why you're a physicist.  I think it just makes the pure math-oriented people confused.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: September 07, 2013, 11:41:18 am »

I suppose its probably as i have a very utilitarian way of thinking.
This is a blank sig.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:56 pm »

The dot coordinates are P = (2.4, 0.7, -0.2), the parametric line point coordinates are L(t) = (-1.3 + 1.2*t, 5.6 + 7.3*t, -0.2 - 3.6*t), and the line direction is d = (1.2, 7.3, -3.6). You want to find the point L(t) with d·(P-L(t)) = 0.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: September 09, 2013, 05:59:46 pm »

Thanks.
It's FEF, not FEOF

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: September 11, 2013, 01:23:04 pm »

Quick question, doing limits stuff and there's a number of questions where for example, you have a graph depicting a function like y = x, except when x = 0, y = 3.
Would the limit of x as x approaches 0 be undefined, or just 0?
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 173