Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 173

Author Topic: Mathematics Help Thread  (Read 214834 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: Mathematics Help Thread
« Reply #2250 on: November 13, 2016, 06:23:29 pm »

Well, I'm more than a bit confused about something for my calculus midterm tomorrow -- something I thought I had learned is being contradicted by a midterm preparation question and answer set the teacher made - but it looks like the answer he have may be flawed.
Does the sandwich/squeeze theorem ensure that for the following piecewise equation:
Code: [Select]
f(x)={xsin(1/x) x≠0
     {0         x=0
f'(0)=0?

He said no -- based on the fact that, using the definition lim(h->0)(sin(1/h)) has no value, but he used sin(1/h) in that statement, NOT hsin(1/h) and I think that might well be a critical difference. I'm not sure though, because this is hard as all hell to input into something like wolfram alpha and the things available on the internet are absurdly contradictory -- people on sites like stack exchange saying that no, it doesn't exist, but a document from a different teacher AT MY VERY UNIVERSITY for THIS VERY COURSE talking about the sandwich theorem potentially indicating it is 0
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 06:28:13 pm by Powder Miner »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: November 13, 2016, 06:55:31 pm »

The derivative of a function f at 0 is limh->0(f(0+h)/h). Inserting the definition of this particular f gives limh->0(h*sin(1/h)/h) which simplifies to limh->0(sin(1/h)). This is where the sin(1/h) comes from.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: November 13, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »

Oh, that makes sense.
Does this also apply to (x^2)sin(1/x)?
I guess it would.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 07:05:28 pm by Powder Miner »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: November 13, 2016, 07:29:59 pm »

It applies similarly, but x²sin(1/x) does in fact have a well-defined derivative at 0.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: November 13, 2016, 08:29:14 pm »

What is it that makes the sandwich theory apply to x2sin(1/x) but not xsin(1/x)?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: November 13, 2016, 10:33:54 pm »

The odyssey of preparing for my midterm tomorrow continues, and now I desperately need to shore up my primary weak point: related rates.

This is an excerpt from the practice problems (not the actual test problems), and I need help with number 5.
The rate I have is dy/dt and the one I want is dθ/dt, so I took θ=sin-1(y/h) and went to dθ/dt=1/(sqrt(1-(y(dy/dt)/h)^2)*((dy/dt)/h)) thanks to the chain rule and h being a constant 10
Then dθ/dt=1/(sqrt(1-(sqrt(75)*1/10)^2)*((1)/10))=1/(sqrt(1-75/100)*1/10=1/sqrt(1/4)*1/10=2*1/10=1/5
The answer is 1/20. What is my folly?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: November 13, 2016, 11:02:24 pm »

Maybe you're meant to use tan^-1 here not sin^-1

The value of h=10 is not a constant, it changes as y moves. The parallel distance to the board of 5 is the constant.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: November 13, 2016, 11:12:32 pm »

oh, my god
that did it
i blew so much effort into that and it was just that one base thing wrong -- that made it so SIMPLE

A. thank you
B. this is why i hate related rates

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: November 16, 2016, 08:59:32 am »

So I have a weird question:

Riddle: Assume decimal representation, say that a digit sum is the sum of all the digits in a number. What is the smallest natural number n whose digit sum and the digit sum of its next number n+1 are both divisible by 10?

I want to prove that n must have at least one 9 in its digits. I don't know how to explain why, but I have a hunch that's true.

I also want to prove that n exists.

I want to prove that n doesn't exist.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 09:08:25 am by Cinder »
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: November 16, 2016, 10:14:42 am »

So you can't prove that n doesn't exist.  Because there is an n that satisfies.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: November 16, 2016, 11:04:37 am »

Smallest positive example: 18999999999.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: November 16, 2016, 11:07:43 am »

How do you work that out? I was bruteforcing it for a computer science assignment but it's taking a billion years to find an answer which was why I got curious.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: November 16, 2016, 11:13:11 am »

When you increment a number, its digit sum changes by +1, or by -8, -17, -26, etc. The "smallest" change divisible by 10 is a change by -80. So either the digit sum goes from 80 to 0 (which isn't possible), or from 90 to 10, and the smallest number with digit sum 90 that satisfies this property is 18999999999.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: November 20, 2016, 08:55:39 am »

This is a stupid question but how do I prove that a sequence is bounded? I always just find the limit before, but for some sequences that doesn't really work. I have absolutely no idea how to do this, because it's not like I can use standard induction because the assumption is useless?

Dozebôm Lolumzalìs

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
« Reply #2264 on: November 20, 2016, 10:24:47 am »

Umm... take the absolute value of the sequence, find some M such that an < M for all n?

Also why would induction be useless?
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 173