Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How do you keep an Internet Card Cool?  (Read 2586 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you keep an Internet Card Cool?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »

One theory I have is that I spread too much oil and dust from my fingertips to the USB slot and metal thing that it conducts heat (It is one reason why your not supposed to touch Lightbulbs with your bare fingers)

I think you mean insulates heat? Shouldn't be the problem, it's negligible, unless you're touching it after holding some fried food.

I'd just make a simple heat sink. Works almost as well as ice, without the annoying melting. Take a conductive sheet of metal and ducttape it to the card. Get as much of the metal exposed to the air. Or you could probably get a simple heatsink without fan from an electronics store for under a dollar. Clip on heatsinks look good, but I don't know how big they are.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 08:01:00 pm »

It's plugged into a USB port on your laptop right?

My laptop has a couple USB ports next to the "exhaust" vent (there the hot air comes out), if I plug something in there it gets rather hot. Fortunately, I also have USB ports on the other side.

Tried using another USB port?

'Course... if it overheats while it's away from the computer... it might be defective. There's no way it should overheat solely from its own heat production.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2010, 12:11:47 am »

The USB card as I said before has a Dock... think of that as a USB extension cord. I can put it anywhere.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2010, 07:15:39 am »

'Course... if it overheats while it's away from the computer... it might be defective. There's no way it should overheat solely from its own heat production.

That's just wrong.  USB Network Card get very, very hot all on their own without having anything wrong with them.

Out of the box, first day, mine got crazy hot.  Out of the box, first day, completely different brand, my friend's got crazy hot.  And now the OP (who has yet a third brand) has one that gets crazy hot.

There's a lot of electricity flowing through those little things, and no air circulation inside.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2010, 12:30:36 pm »

I'm not saying it shouldn't get hot; I'm saying it shouldn't overheat.

I would think it'd be designed with its heat generation in mind... That's why I suggested that it might be defective: producing more heat than it was designed to handle.
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 10:46:34 am »

I don't think it "overheats" in the sense that it kills itself. Probably overheats in that it gets painful to touch. Generic way to solve that is to have a heatsink.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 05:38:26 pm »

Before I found the optimal placement, my network card would slow down/disconnect because of the heat.  It may be poor design, but I doubt most people were downloading torrents through it for hours.  I would imagine that regular internet browsing wouldn't stress it to the point of performance degradation.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2010, 03:51:50 pm »

Kamina glasses make anything look cool.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2010, 02:43:26 pm »

Huh, I read this as 'How do you get an Internet Cool Card?'

I was going to say, I have no idea but Jack may lone you one of his many many many such cards.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 12:59:32 am »

I found that keeping my room very cold helps.

Also I suggest you keep any console systems in a cool dry room. It helps keep them from breaking (They break fast in hot wet rooms)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2010, 01:40:46 pm »

tape a picture of me to it...

oh no wait. Then it would just overheat.

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2010, 05:21:32 pm »

Put it in a ziplock bag and put the bag in a glass of water. Keep the top of the bag out of the water and make sure the bag is tight against the card so the heat travels through as little air as possible.

Ghetto Water Cooling
Pages: 1 [2]