Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do you keep an Internet Card Cool?  (Read 2588 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do you keep an Internet Card Cool?
« on: September 27, 2010, 02:01:46 am »

I have an internet card... mind you it is probably the wrong word. I have a USB drive sort of thing that connects my computer to the internet.

Now unlike my Laptop its internet goes in and out a lot sometimes for many different reasons however one is that it overheats.

How do you keep something like this from overheating?

One theory I have is that I spread too much oil and dust from my fingertips to the USB slot and metal thing that it conducts heat (It is one reason why your not supposed to touch Lightbulbs with your bare fingers)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do you keep an Internet Card Cool?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 05:31:33 am »

Put ice on it.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 06:37:04 am »

I actually do that when my computer overheats, and it works.

Two caveats:

- Don't overdo it (don't freeze your computer)

- Don't get your computer wet (duh)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 09:13:22 am »

One theory I have is that I spread too much oil and dust from my fingertips to the USB slot and metal thing that it conducts heat (It is one reason why your not supposed to touch Lightbulbs with your bare fingers)

Well, if you're confident the cuplrit is the device connected to the usb slot, and the heat actually comes from the pc and not the device itself, why not just buy one of those usb extension cords, somebody around maybe even already have one, you know, for cameras or whatnot.

Should be really really cheap, too. You could even buy it just for testing, probably. But seriously, I don't think the heat is coming from the computer. Also I'm having a slightly hard time to picture everything properly. Can I haz photograph?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 09:55:46 am »

I once made a homemade heat sink for my laptop's power adaptor. It involved simple materials I could find around the house: a sheet of computer paper and some extra roofing nails. By spacing the nails evenly across the paper (staggering them, in some cases) and making sure they were firmly implanted, I effectively had a decent heat sink (although some sort of way to keep better heat transmission through the nails could've been used; I had a couple rubber bands keeping it all attached).

Of course, it could've been seen as some sort of medieval flail recreation, but the thing worked pretty damn good. Something similar could help out, depending on the size of the card.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Astramancer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:49 pm »

I also have a USB wireless card, and it does get crazy-hot after a few hours of working.

My solution?  I have it on a USB extension cord, and it's sitting next to the air intake on computer (it's got a big vent thing behind the faceplate, it's sitting in there.  It keeps it nice and cool - probably a combination of the aluminum grating acting as a heat sink and the air flow (mostly the airflow).

Try to keep the hard from sitting on something insulating, like carpet.  Try to sit it where there's airflow.  These will keep it from getting "wow, I can't believe I didn't get a blister from touching it" hot.

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2010, 10:06:56 pm »

I once made a homemade heat sink for my laptop's power adaptor. It involved simple materials I could find around the house: a sheet of computer paper and some extra roofing nails. By spacing the nails evenly across the paper (staggering them, in some cases) and making sure they were firmly implanted, I effectively had a decent heat sink (although some sort of way to keep better heat transmission through the nails could've been used; I had a couple rubber bands keeping it all attached).

Of course, it could've been seen as some sort of medieval flail recreation, but the thing worked pretty damn good. Something similar could help out, depending on the size of the card.

This sounds both intriguing and useful.
 Would you mind elaborating a bit?
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 11:12:13 am »

What do you need to know? I might be able to get pictures, if I can find a camera around here, otherwise I'd have to use my horribad Paint skills.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 01:56:56 pm »

What do you need to know? I might be able to get pictures, if I can find a camera around here, otherwise I'd have to use my horribad Paint skills.

A picture or some kind of sketch would be good. I mean, it has to touch your computer, so how does the setup look like.

Edit: Scratch that, I reread the post and its for the AC adapter, so I get what it looks like now.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 02:05:48 pm by smjjames »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 09:17:38 pm »

Yeah basically it is a USB cord attached to a base (with a USB slot on it... so basically an extension) that part isn't the card.

Then is my USB card which is Finger's length long and half-pinky length wide. It is black. Maybe I can get a picture off the net

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Ok that is the picture of the card itself... but the USB bay of the card isn't so easy to find a picture of on the internet.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 09:23:03 pm »

This is what I do if my computer overheats... (Which it does a lot, these days. Old fan, was to small when I got it, its a laptop, etc) Just stick a big, proper fan next to it and it should cool it down. However, one of those USB cords could help you in your case.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 10:21:37 pm »

This is what I do if my computer overheats... (Which it does a lot, these days. Old fan, was to small when I got it, its a laptop, etc) Just stick a big, proper fan next to it and it should cool it down. However, one of those USB cords could help you in your case.

It is the card itself that is overheating unfortunately... So the only way a USB cord could fix it is if I get one long enough I could keep the Netword adapter in the freezer.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2010, 11:32:16 pm »

again, you could use an ice pack.

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 12:14:13 am »

Your internet card is never going to be cool.

Try raybands or something.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2010, 12:28:18 am »

Your internet card is never going to be  8)

Ohh well...
Pages: [1] 2