Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fighting Humans  (Read 1593 times)

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Fighting Humans
« on: September 24, 2010, 03:01:21 pm »

I'm being besieged by Humans and I need them gone by the next season for trade and migrants and stuffs. 2 of them died to my traps the other 14 are sat on the edge of the map. 14 of them, 13 swordsmen and the hammerman leader with a pet alligator, all in full bronze. I'm trying to cave them in, but I really doubt that it'll actually work, so I'm thinking of sending out my military. 10 dwarves, armour and weaponry varies from bits and bobs of bronze plus bronze axes to iron short swords, chestplate and boots, fairly mix and match, some areas unarmoured. But they all have shields and have been through the danger room so most of them have legendary, above or near in shield user and fighter, with ok skill in dodge and armour user. Will they be able to deal with the Humans? Any tips?

Johnny Madhouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Go ahead and try it!
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2010, 03:41:25 pm »

Danger rooms produce good fighters so fast that they become expendable. I am willing to bet you win, legendary shield users get things done.  You might lose a couple, but such is life.
Useless migrants go the Culling Burrow.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
Re: Fighting Humans
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2010, 03:47:02 pm »

Hmmm... You have a point. I do kinda like my army atm though. Will telling them to move to an outside rally point and then to the Humans work well enough?
E: Tried it, 3 casualties, some injuries, but I sure as hell won.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 04:37:41 pm by Cheese »

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 08:26:41 pm »

legendary in shield user beats the c**p out of nearly every hostile the game throws at us according to my experience. I constructed this extremely complicated and excruciatingly painful(and slow killing) trap designed to passively destroy goblins, but then I got tired of waiting for them to kill themselves while my dwarves are trapped inside the evacuation burrow, so I'm sending my militia out every time something comes up. And they make such quick work that I've yet to lose a single kitten to ambushes.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 08:28:37 pm »

I've yet to lose a single kitten to ambushes.

Are you considering that a good thing?

meto30

• Bay Watcher
  • Maelstrom. As in whirlpool.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 08:41:05 pm »

Nope. Just pointing out the squad's reaction time is that fast. There are far more creative ways to despose of cats than leaving them to the mercy of the goblins, anyway ;)

Halykan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2010, 08:38:09 am »

Nope. Just pointing out the squad's reaction time is that fast. There are far more creative ways to despose of cats than leaving them to the mercy of the goblins, anyway ;)

We clearly have very different doctrines. Kittens are a crucial element of my early warning system.
If you don't remember whether the lever will collapse half the fortress, flood it with magma, flood it with water, flood it with water THEN magma, or kill the invaders, you pull it and hope you take the god damned goblins down with you
clicky

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2010, 08:45:18 am »

Well my legendary+5 shield users still missed a few blocks, but they were outnumbered. I suppose you need full bronze+armour incase anything does get through the shielding. Still no engravings about the battle :/
And by the way, goblins feel like a walk in the park after 14-16 full bronze humans.

Urist McKing

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Spacemarine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 09:42:43 am »

One seige I had 30 full bronze humans. It was fun unleashing the insane human traders on them along with my pet dragon.
Yes! I would like the court to recognize the record as showing that I FUCKING CALLED IT!

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 09:46:45 am »

One seige I had 30 full bronze humans. It was fun unleashing the insane human traders on them along with my pet dragon.
Oh my.. this sounds awesome. I must have a pet FB/Titan/Megabeast.

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:36 am »

the other 14 are sat on the edge of the map.

Is it normal lately that invaders get "stuck"? Right now I have sieges from both humans and goblins. Not only they seem friendly towards each other, but they made camps at edges of the map and seem not to move anywhere.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 10:54:44 am »

the other 14 are sat on the edge of the map.

Is it normal lately that invaders get "stuck"? Right now I have sieges from both humans and goblins. Not only they seem friendly towards each other, but they made camps at edges of the map and seem not to move anywhere.
Humans have the [SIEGER] tag in the raws or something like that. It causes them to prefer setting up camp and trying to starve you out rather than attacking straight away. Apparently they eventually leave or attack anyway but that didn't happen for me after half a year. Plus if their diplomat has seen your traps before, they'll walk straight through them if they decide to attack. I think you can probably lure them in by posting your military just outside the entrance, or just inside. As for the goblins, they will siege as hostiles, like the Humans and hence be in the same group. So they won't attack each other. I don't think goblins should be sitting outside though..

gralcio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 11:01:08 am »

True, goblins decided to move. Humans just prefer to sit there drinking their tea.

Previous human siege stood at their spot so long that I built 11 balistas, trained operators a few levels and shot them from the distance.

And just a remark... I have 26k drinks in stocks right now. Starving me won't work. I wish their tactics included some random facts about my food stockpiles.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2010, 11:02:29 am »

Try making a bunch of cage traps for when they do decide to attack. We currently have sentient polymorphing cages that can modify to the size of a kitten or a dragon and hold it.

Trying to follow a real life siege strategy is fairly useless, because we can farm effin' mushrooms in our personal alcoves.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2010, 11:05:48 am »

If I could be bothered I'd set up ballistae too. I need a wall system first though.
Humans managed to immobilise another 2 of my dwarves as it turns out, so they halved my military. Meh.

You could try undermining them, just not sure if you can actually collapse the surface or not.
Pages: [1] 2