Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Charcoal Bug(?)  (Read 7312 times)

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Charcoal Bug(?)
« on: September 21, 2010, 02:15:12 am »

I've dumped a whole bunch of charcoal (50 or so pieces) in my quantum stock pile, the problem is now my smelter doesn't seem to recognize it as fuel, I've already unforbid it, and it shows up as a building material for walls.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I just not dump any more charcoal?

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Charcoal Bug(?)
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:17:51 am »

Is it accessible to the smelter from where it is? any locked doors?
can you try setting up a stockpile for charcoal bars next to the smelter and see if your dorfs move the bars to it?
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 02:21:42 am »

Is it accessible to the smelter from where it is? any locked doors?
can you try setting up a stockpile for charcoal bars next to the smelter and see if your dorfs move the bars to it?

There are locked doors between the quantum stockpile and the smelter but there's still a path between them.

There are 3 entrances to the smelter and it's definitely accessible.

I just designated a stockpile which only stores charcoal, after moving a few there the smelter is still showing no fuel access.

kelewan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 02:53:47 am »

Is your Smelter part of a burrow?
If yes, is the stockpile part of the same burrow?

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 03:06:24 am »

Is your Smelter part of a burrow?
If yes, is the stockpile part of the same burrow?

The smelter was part of a burrow that wasn't active, I added the stockpile to the burrow and still no luck.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 04:58:05 am »

Deconstruct this smelter and build another one. Maybe you accidentally built a magma smelter.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:07:22 am »

Deconstruct this smelter and build another one. Maybe you accidentally built a magma smelter.

I tried that before I made the thread, I should have mentioned.

rdwulfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Rion Wulfe
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:24:55 am »

I've dumped a whole bunch of charcoal (50 or so pieces) in my quantum stock pile, the problem is now my smelter doesn't seem to recognize it as fuel, I've already unforbid it, and it shows up as a building material for walls.  Is there something I'm doing wrong or should I just not dump any more charcoal?

I didn't see... but did you reclaim the items after dumping? When you dump an item, it gets a 'forbidden' flag set on it. You need to clear that for the items to be touchable by dwarves again.

I can't remember the key sequence right now, but it's in the same menu as mass dumping.

"   So the gods discussed it and created elves. The Elves were beautiful, Mistral Thrax admitted, in and elvish way, but it was his belief that the gods grew disappointed after a time because the elves -- being elves -- were essentially decorative but not particularly functional. They were content simply to live long lives and to exist. They did not nothing of any real value, in the opinion of Mistral Thrax."
   -- The Covenant of the Forge by Dan Parkinson, a Dragon Lance Novel

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 11:39:42 am »

I didn't see... but did you reclaim the items after dumping? When you dump an item, it gets a 'forbidden' flag set on it. You need to clear that for the items to be touchable by dwarves again.

I can't remember the key sequence right now, but it's in the same menu as mass dumping.

I've already unforbid it
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:44:02 am »

Did you unforbid it in the Z menus as an economic stone, or as a individual bars, or via d-b-c on the quantum stockpile itself?  If you merely unforbid it as an economic stone, it'll show up as a building material.  But if the individual bars are still forbidden, you need to claim them.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 11:47:51 am »

Did you unforbid it in the Z menus as an economic stone, or as a individual bars, or via d-b-c on the quantum stockpile itself?  If you merely unforbid it as an economic stone, it'll show up as a building material.  But if the individual bars are still forbidden, you need to claim them.

Charcoal isn't a stone, though bituminous coal and lignite certainly are (and cannot be used as fuel - they must first be smelted into coke).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2010, 11:54:43 am »

I've tried building walls out of the charcoal and deconstructing, the workshop still shows no fuel source.

The thing that bothers me is that if I make a fresh piece of charcoal and don't have it moved to a stockpile, it registers to the smelter as a fuel source, I can then put some ore smelting processes on REPEAT and the worked will go grab coal from my stockpile, and my forge doesn't show any errors and also works properly, which leads me to believe it's a problem with smelters in general.

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2010, 11:56:09 am »

I've answered the points in your post previously which might have some affect on my problem, your other points just aren't helpful, please read the entire thread before "helping".

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 12:01:00 pm »

I've answered the points in your post previously which might have some affect on my problem, your other points just aren't helpful, please read the entire thread before "helping".

Fair enough.  I was just trying to clarify how you had unforbid/reclaimed the material in question.  Never mind.  You know what you're doing.  Must be a bug.  You did everything perfectly right and by the book.  Carry on!
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Abaddon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 12:03:15 pm »

Fair enough.  I was just trying to clarify how you had unforbid/reclaimed the material in question.  Never mind.  You know what you're doing.  Must be a bug.  You did everything perfectly right and by the book.  Carry on!

I don't mean to be snappy, but I've answered these questions already and the problem is frustrating me quite a bit.   :(
Pages: [1] 2 3 4