Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 863588 times)

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)
« Reply #2655 on: January 06, 2013, 06:50:06 pm »

Ok, thanks for the quick answer. First one is an oversight that is irrelevant to vanilla DF, so it was overlooked and will be fixed. Good. Second one is a design choice to meet ingame description with therapist. Understandable from my point of view as well. I just wanted to report both, because I didnt knew if it was a design choice, or not.
no worries, thanks for the reports :)

Would it be possible to make the Professions pictures editable?
if you meant the custom professions, you can to a degree. if you meant the default profession icons, yes it's possible. right now they're packaged as an internal resource, but i suppose i could just leave them in a folder and they could be replaced.

Sorry if anyone else asked, but - Therapist seems to stop showing Migration waves after the 10th. Once it reaches the 10th it just starts adding new dwarves to the bottom of the 10th wave.

Is there any way to make the Therapist show waves after 10, or should I just start marking the last dwarf in the wave with a nickname to know where the next migrant wave starts ?
which Therapist / OS are you using?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2656 on: January 06, 2013, 07:31:33 pm »

version 19.2 has been released:

Patch Summary
  • added skill rates (experience bonuses) for castes. this includes a new column in the dwarf details, and tooltip information. normally this isn't visible at all in vanilla.
  • fixed some formatting issues on the column headers and counts
  • fixed alchemy skill and added missing military tactician skill (exclusively for mods)
  • fixed the happiness column showing black squares instead of colors on the initial load
  • fixed a crash when adding labors to an optimization plan
  • fixed the scroll bars not returning to their saved positions after a fresh read

see the project home for full patch notes and more details on the skill rate experience bonuses.

Project Home // Download // Full Patch Notes
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 07:30:18 am by splinterz »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2657 on: January 06, 2013, 10:50:41 pm »

Yeah, I meant just the pictures themselves. I'd find the professions much easier to read if they were solid blocks (like the happiness indicators) with symbols inside. For example:

Weaponsmith: dark grey with a /
Armoursmith: dark grey with a [
Warsmith (custom): dark grey with a / and a [

I did a tileset like this way back but can't find it. It must be on another hard drive...
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2658 on: January 07, 2013, 05:29:33 am »

I think I've found a problem with Highest Moodable Skills, but the problem may be with DF itself rather than DT.  Anyway, I thought I'd post here first and get people's opinions.

I had a dwarf who was Legendary +5 in Armouring and Metalcrafting (as well as a couple of other non-moodable skills), but I deliberately manipulated his experience so that his Armouring had higher skillpoints (31,332 to Metalcrafting's 30,838), and DT dutifully reported that the highest moodable skill was Armouring.

However, when that dwarf had a mood, he created a Metalcraft artifact (an earring).

Does anyone have an idea why this happened?  Does DF take something besides numerical skill level in to account when determining Highest Moodable Skill?

I have screenshots and a save if anyone needs to have a look.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2659 on: January 07, 2013, 06:07:44 am »

I think I've found a problem with Highest Moodable Skills, but the problem may be with DF itself rather than DT.  Anyway, I thought I'd post here first and get people's opinions.

I had a dwarf who was Legendary +5 in Armouring and Metalcrafting (as well as a couple of other non-moodable skills), but I deliberately manipulated his experience so that his Armouring had higher skillpoints (31,332 to Metalcrafting's 30,838), and DT dutifully reported that the highest moodable skill was Armouring.

However, when that dwarf had a mood, he created a Metalcraft artifact (an earring).

Does anyone have an idea why this happened?  Does DF take something besides numerical skill level in to account when determining Highest Moodable Skill?

I have screenshots and a save if anyone needs to have a look.

was it possible that his armouring skill had become rusty?

edit: looking at the wiki, armorer and metalsmith both have the same chance to have a mood, however it also states that the deciding factor is the dwarf's actual profession (not the custom profession) at the time the mood hits. it also doesn't say if 'highest' is determined by actual experience, or simply the rating (legendary +5).

check the actual profession of the dwarf when the mood hit?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 06:55:07 am by splinterz »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2660 on: January 07, 2013, 06:36:24 am »

The higher the skill level, the longer it takes to get rusty. Unfortunately I don't have any child moods that weren't either fairly recent or possessions, but maybe someone else can chime in on how long it takes for a non-working dwarf to lose that level of skill.

I've had moods that didn't use the skill with the highest raw XP. Maybe it has something to do with the skill ID numbers.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2661 on: January 07, 2013, 07:30:50 am »

Neither Armourer nor Metalcrafter skills were rusty.

edit: looking at the wiki, armorer and metalsmith both have the same chance to have a mood, however it also states that the deciding factor is the dwarf's actual profession (not the custom profession) at the time the mood hits. it also doesn't say if 'highest' is determined by actual experience, or simply the rating (legendary +5).

When I deleted his custom profession, the profession shown was "Metalsmith".  The wiki says this is shown when a dwarf has skills in more than one metalsmith catergory, so this is not much use.

I've had moods that didn't use the skill with the highest raw XP. Maybe it has something to do with the skill ID numbers.

This is the crux of the matter.  If DT is using highest raw XP to determine Highest Moodable Skill, but DF is using something else in certain situations, then we need to determine what criteria DF is using and duplicate it so DT accurately reports the Highest Moodable Skill.

Should I post in the Dwarf Mode forum asking for help about how DF determines Highest Moodable Skill in this situation?  Would it help if I uploaded the save for you to have a look at splinterz? 

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2662 on: January 07, 2013, 08:03:58 am »

Neither Armourer nor Metalcrafter skills were rusty.

When I deleted his custom profession, the profession shown was "Metalsmith".  The wiki says this is shown when a dwarf has skills in more than one metalsmith catergory, so this is not much use.

This is the crux of the matter.  If DT is using highest raw XP to determine Highest Moodable Skill, but DF is using something else in certain situations, then we need to determine what criteria DF is using and duplicate it so DT accurately reports the Highest Moodable Skill.

Should I post in the Dwarf Mode forum asking for help about how DF determines Highest Moodable Skill in this situation?  Would it help if I uploaded the save for you to have a look at splinterz?

definitely ask in the other forum as someone may have more insight as to what's happening. maybe it's randomly choosing between the two skills? i can poke around a bit if you upload the save.

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2663 on: January 07, 2013, 01:21:50 pm »

version 19.2 has been released

Working like a charm for me.  Thanks splinterz!

Nkosi_SW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2664 on: January 07, 2013, 01:30:46 pm »

definitely ask in the other forum as someone may have more insight as to what's happening.

I've created a new thread in the Dwarf Mode Forum.

i can poke around a bit if you upload the save.

Save is here.  The strange mood has already struck but the forge hasn't been claimed yet.

maybe it's randomly choosing between the two skills?

Might be hard to tell if this is the case, as I think the skill for the mood is choosen when the mood strikes, at the same time as the dwarf is chosen?

arclance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2665 on: January 07, 2013, 03:42:13 pm »

version 19.2 has been released:

Patch Summary
  • added skill rates (experience bonuses) for castes. this includes a new column in the dwarf details, and tooltip information. normally this isn't visible at all in vanilla.
  • fixed some formatting issues on the column headers and counts
  • fixed alchemy skill and added missing military tactician skill (exclusively for mods)
  • fixed the happiness column showing black squares instead of colors on the initial load
  • fixed a crash when adding labors to an optimization plan
  • fixed the scroll bars not returning to their saved positions after a fresh read

see the project home for full patch notes and more details on the skill rate experience bonuses.

Project Home // Download // Full Patch Notes
I only see one small cosmetic problem so far.
The column header text is slightly under the column header toggle indicator at the top of the label box.

The skill rate changes seem to be working for mod casts.
I think that might be one of the most dwarfen contraptions I've ever seen the blueprints of.
The Bloodwinery v1.3.1 | Dwarven Lamination v1.5 | Tileset Resizer v2.5 - Mac Beta Tester Needed
Sigtext

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2666 on: January 07, 2013, 03:53:26 pm »

I think I stumbled across a loose end.  One of my dwarfs had 'test2' listed as a role that they would be good at.  Only had agility as a contributing factor.  Perhaps a remnant?  (Although the therapist would not be wrong in this case to be suggesting her as a test crash dwarf.   ;))

Also I wonder if it would be possible to incorporate information about personality attributes blocking skill experience where relevant?  Case in point is when selecting a dwarf as broker/leader.  I would like to know that they can't gain pacifier experience or conversationalist skill when that is the case.

Kudos splinterz for your work on this.

Lycaeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2667 on: January 07, 2013, 04:44:25 pm »

I was wondering whether it would be possible to list the syndromes each dwarf is afflicted with. Many mods use syndromes to give temporary or permanent boosts/debuffs to their citizens, but at the moment there's no direct way of telling what a dwarf has, so a toolbar that pulls this information would be very helpful.

Many thanks for your work on this invaluable resource, splinterz! :) I especially appreciate the addition of the new caste skill rates.
“I want to calm the storm, but the war is in your eyes.
How can I shield you from the horror and the lies?
When all that once held meaning is shattered, ruined, bleeding
And the whispers in the darkness tell me we won’t survive?”

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #2668 on: January 07, 2013, 06:30:09 pm »

@arclance: ok, i'll move it down a few more pixels.

@feelotraveller: dammit... i must have accidentally copied over a few test roles when i was adding preferences to the default roles, i'll make sure they're removed. i'll look into the conflicting traits and see what i can do.

@Lycaeon: i think that should be feasible, i'll check into it.

for anyone who's interested in the moodable skill problem brought up by Nkosi_SW, i posted an explanation in the dedicated thread.

as always, thanks for all the reports, it helps to improve DT all the time!

Maklak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2669 on: January 08, 2013, 12:32:13 am »

Thank you for quickly implementing skill rates. I just wanted the "sort by fitness for a job" to take into account the skill rates, but the tooltips are also useful.

Maybe the Therapist should show dwarves on a relative scale from 0 to 5000.
Seconded. In the military tab there are a few columns with Agility, Recuperation and so on. They display a number from -20 to +20, but that's relative to their caste, so it isn't really telling me much when I have lots of castes and I have to use tooltips to see the real values. I don't want to sort by one of the stat columns, because I already sort by other things. Just having these columns display 0-00 (((stat + 25)/50) and 00 for >99) would be much more useful. I simply don't care about values relative to the average for that caste. It is absolute values that matter anyway.
Quote from: Omnicega
Since you seem to criticize most things harsher than concentrated acid, I'll take that as a compliment.
On mining Organics
Military guide for FoE mod.
Research: Crossbow with axe and shield.
Dropbox referral
Pages: 1 ... 176 177 [178] 179 180 ... 192