Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 192

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 5/23/12 see first post)  (Read 863722 times)

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (LATEST 0.6.12 2/29/12 see first post)
« Reply #1275 on: March 04, 2012, 10:26:17 am »

By only presenting what is significantly different from the norm, I firmly believe you make the information much more accessible, instead of flooding the screen with almost every trait for every dwarf.

Just for the sake of providing some feedback to the discussion; i agree.

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1276 on: March 04, 2012, 10:30:37 am »

@DwarfEngineer - Is m_current_year actually referenced or used anywhere right now?
Not in vanilla DwarfTherapist, it's part of preparations to merge in some of these other changes that are floating around. (chrisadams & splinterz changes)
Current Dwarf Therapist Maintainer - Tips

Anrock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1277 on: March 04, 2012, 10:33:56 am »

@kionmaru, thanks. That config works perfectly.

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1278 on: March 04, 2012, 10:44:23 am »

@DwarfEngineer - Is m_current_year actually referenced or used anywhere right now?
Not in vanilla DwarfTherapist, it's part of preparations to merge in some of these other changes that are floating around. (chrisadams & splinterz changes)

Thanks - I went through your sources and couldn't find anything for it; scan for current year gives me a whole slew of addresses, none of which seem to quite resolve to an integer or word that all appear to be -1. I didn't dig deeper then that.

You're more than welcome :) Glad to hear it's behaving itself.

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1279 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:17 am »

Thanks - I went through your sources and couldn't find anything for it; scan for current year gives me a whole slew of addresses, none of which seem to quite resolve to an integer or word that all appear to be -1. I didn't dig deeper then that.

Current year looks like it's always going to be the last address (the address closest to dwarf_race_index) on v34.04 linux its: 0x09571d40
I'm updating the scanner script to report the last (and most likely) address.

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1280 on: March 04, 2012, 11:03:25 am »

Current year looks like it's always going to be the last address (the address closest to dwarf_race_index) on v34.04 linux its: 0x09571d40
I'm updating the scanner script to report the last (and most likely) address.

On mine it's not reporting the correct offset at all then. 0x09571d40 is indeed an integer which appears to be correct; here's the list I get:

current year = 0x08c8ea8c (uncorrected:0x08c8ea8c)
current year = 0x08c8eaa4 (uncorrected:0x08c8eaa4)
current year = 0x08c8eae8 (uncorrected:0x08c8eae8)
current year = 0x08c8eb28 (uncorrected:0x08c8eb28)
current year = 0x08c8eb64 (uncorrected:0x08c8eb64)
current year = 0x08c8eba4 (uncorrected:0x08c8eba4)
current year = 0x08cab2b2 (uncorrected:0x08cab2b2)
current year = 0x08ceb760 (uncorrected:0x08ceb760)
current year = 0x08dbf16c (uncorrected:0x08dbf16c)
current year = 0x08dbf778 (uncorrected:0x08dbf778)
current year = 0x08dbfc10 (uncorrected:0x08dbfc10)

I can upload the world to dffd, it was genned with 0.34.04.

And just to verify, current_year should be in the [addresses] section if I'm reading your sources correctly, is that right?

** edit
hg failed to merge game_data.ini properly so I ended up with no expected year setting; that's what was causing the bad year search. Apologies, I should have caught that; it was no longer showing up in hg merge as a problem. Probably touched the file and it became more recent than your patch.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:08:58 am by kionmaru »

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1281 on: March 04, 2012, 11:06:25 am »

On mine it's not reporting the correct offset at all then. 0x09571d40 is indeed an integer which appears to be correct; here's the list I get:

current year = 0x08c8ea8c (uncorrected:0x08c8ea8c)
current year = 0x08c8eaa4 (uncorrected:0x08c8eaa4)
current year = 0x08c8eae8 (uncorrected:0x08c8eae8)
current year = 0x08c8eb28 (uncorrected:0x08c8eb28)
current year = 0x08c8eb64 (uncorrected:0x08c8eb64)
current year = 0x08c8eba4 (uncorrected:0x08c8eba4)
current year = 0x08cab2b2 (uncorrected:0x08cab2b2)
current year = 0x08ceb760 (uncorrected:0x08ceb760)
current year = 0x08dbf16c (uncorrected:0x08dbf16c)
current year = 0x08dbf778 (uncorrected:0x08dbf778)
current year = 0x08dbfc10 (uncorrected:0x08dbfc10)

I can upload the world to dffd, it was genned with 0.34.04.

And just to verify, current_year should be in the [addresses] section if I'm reading your sources correctly, is that right?
Odd. Couple things you could check I guess - 1. There is a newer revision which fixed an issue for OSX/Linux scanning, and 2. The scanner is intended to be run against a freshly generated world with medium history (i.e. starting on year 251)

kionmaru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1282 on: March 04, 2012, 11:16:37 am »

Odd. Couple things you could check I guess - 1. There is a newer revision which fixed an issue for OSX/Linux scanning, and 2. The scanner is intended to be run against a freshly generated world with medium history (i.e. starting on year 251)

Yeah, see edit - hg merge failed to handle game_data.ini right, and so I didn't have the expected year set, which probably ended with it defaulting to something either not quite sane or random. My bad >.< ;

benloran

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1283 on: March 04, 2012, 12:45:44 pm »

I think I was making this harder than it needed to be. One more try -
Dwarf Therapist OSX 0.6.12b03

I'll work on the universal version - I don't know that I'll really be able to test it though.

Ok! This one runs, but there are a few oddities (and one bug that will make it hard to use).

1. I'm an unusual OSX user in that my main login account is not an administrator. So when something needs admin access, I have to type in the admin's name and password. For some reason, Therapist asks for admin access every time I launch it, so I am having to enter the admin name and password each time. I can live with that, but it's unusual for a program to do that.

2. DwarfTherapist has two icons in the dock. It's not a big deal, but it's a little strange.

3. This is the usability bug. The triangles for expanding and collapsing groups seem to be drawn in the wrong place (I've circled the problem in red here).

Thanks for making all the effort to support OSX, by the way. This is awesome! :)

DwarfEngineer

• Bay Watcher
  • Grumble Grumble...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1284 on: March 04, 2012, 01:19:23 pm »

Could someone post memory mapping for v0.34.04 for linux?
In kionmaru's version dwarves second names are displayed as Unknownunknown.

And why memory mappings for linux version are updated much less often than for windows? Latest mappings for linux is for 0.31.25!

Thanks in advance.
Linux support is coming back. I've had to recreate almost all of my build scripts & environment due to a system crash a while back. Also, building for each architecture/distribution takes a good chunk of time, so I'm trying to automate the process.

fredmaehn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1285 on: March 04, 2012, 03:01:51 pm »

I think I was making this harder than it needed to be. One more try
I'll work on the universal version - I don't know that I'll really be able to test it though.

You are my hero! Have no time to really test it (girlfriend is hogging the mac mini), but it runs.

Universal would be nice, but better give the Linux users their version first.

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #1286 on: March 04, 2012, 04:07:24 pm »

I've just checked out splinterz's fix, and indeed all the attributes seem to be displaying properly.  Great job there :D.

I've been thinking about ways to present the attribute data graphically better.  The problem with using the same draw method as for skills is that it floods the 'attributes' pane with too much information.  To be more precise, the reason it doesn't overload the labors tab is that most cells are empty or close to it, which makes picking out the important information (who is good at what skills) easy.  If instead everyone had some skill in everything, you'd have the same problem as what the attributes pane is producing.  To improve it I've tried a little different approach:

snip...

Instead of filling every square with something, which makes it hard to pick strengths and weaknesses out at a glance (which is what we're looking for), average attributes display nothing -only once a attribute is above or below normal do you get a graphical change, with less than average showing in red, better than average in black, the size telling you how much better or worse.

The next thing I want to do is create several more default grid views that individually only show a subset of the attributes important to a certain 'class' of jobs.  For instance one for craftsdwarf related skills (creativity, kinesthetic sense, spacial sense, the relevant physical traits), with the idea being that it'd give a quick way to look over new immigrants for those well suited to train in a given skill.

I'm putting this up to download, but ultimately I'm not looking to maintain this separate from splinterz', I'm hoping he incorporates it into his, but for now here are the files and source:

Download
Source

I've also made two small changes reverting back to behaivor in older versions, average attributes have no text descriptions (this is more readable to me, text indicates it's not average), and changed it back to only display traits more than 10 points off of average, for similar reasons.  By only presenting what is significantly different from the norm, I firmly believe you make the information much more accessible, instead of flooding the screen with almost every trait for every dwarf.

i completely agree with your observations. i think i've been so focused on getting attributes showing up properly that i've drifted from the real purpose of showing them: clear, practical data to make decisions. since you've given me the go ahead to incorporate this, i will most certainly be doing so, cheers!

edit: in regards to the jobs, i've tried making scripts which somewhat works, but ideally it would be nice to sort by multiple columns, however i don't think the current objects being used support it.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:44:49 pm by splinterz »

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #1287 on: March 04, 2012, 04:23:20 pm »

I just wanted to second chrisadam3997's observations. After using the newest attribute enabled DT, like was said, the fact everyone has some sort of attribute makes the display used much less useful. With chrisadam3997's color inclusions, it's about 25% more readable immediately.

I'd suggest using a larger color scale. It may end up looking like rainbow vomit, but it might be worth a try.

So hot = low, cool = high.

Red - Lowest
Yellow - Below Average
Green - Average
Blue  - Above Average
Black - Exceptional

There might be some benefit in investigating a totally different view for attributes. Like, a histogram would be freaking amazing. Better if we were to, say, double click on a dwarf entry and get a re-sizable window for them displaying a histogram of that dwarf's attributes. Actually, it would work smashingly for traits as well, especially if you could mouse over each entry in the histogram and get DF's text description of their trait value. While not necessary, it would preserve the flavor in the current trait view, where it gives you a number and a description.

I appreciate that's probably a fair amount of work for something as non-essential to DT as attributes and traits.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:26:51 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

chrisadams3997

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1288 on: March 04, 2012, 06:04:27 pm »

i completely agree with your observations. i think i've been so focused on getting attributes showing up properly that i've drifted from the real purpose of showing them: clear, practical data to make decisions. since you've given me the go ahead to incorporate this, i will most certainly be doing so, cheers!

Sweet.

fractal

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1289 on: March 04, 2012, 09:43:44 pm »

Hi, I'm testing the latest posted mac version, from this thread. (0.6.12b03). Some observations:

Bug:Labels "Construct ?? Crutch (208)" instead of "Clean Self"
As stated before-has two icons- though every mac version I've seen has this.
As opposed to other versions, does not appear to slow DF for the next unpausing after a write- much quicker.
The interface is not perfectly responsive, though still very usable.
Bug:The grid view editor works well, though the attributes (strength, agility, etc) all appear as unknown (-1).
Bug?: The filter dwarves box doesn't appear to do very much, apart from show a hanging filtered list. Expected behavior would be to highlight the selected dwarf.
EDIT: It only fails to do things if the "Don't show children/babies filter" is applied

It appears very stable, having run continuously for over 8 hours (~220 dwarves) with no loss of function.
I'll continue 'testing' and will report back anything else relevant.

Thanks for making all the effort to support OSX, by the way. This is awesome! :)
I'll second that!

Very impressive, no serious bugs found, a great tool to use!
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 11:41:24 pm by fractal »
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86] 87 88 ... 192