Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Amnesia: The Dark Descent  (Read 7634 times)

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
« on: September 19, 2010, 06:22:14 pm »

I highly recommend Amnesia:  The Dark Descent.  One of the best games I've played in the past few years, and easily the scariest ever.

It is genuinely terrifying. I had to take some regular breaks from the game to recover my wits, and because I was actually shaking and sweating.  I enjoy being affected by things in such strong ways.  Beautifully crafted game, I love it.
Yes, Amnesia is what I would call art. The term 'Video games are art!' is thrown around a lot, but Amnesia truly defines it. Amnesia makes you feel like your there, it has much of the same effects it would have if you were in the game. Shaking, sweating, anxiety, and so on, Amnesia affects you mentally and physically-Not just some game to pass the time, it's a game you can get easily immersed and terrified in. It's not a blow-off, I'd say it's well worth 40$ at least. In the very BEGINNING I felt like I skipped a heartbeat, I was so terrified by the atmosphere and surroundings[This is before you encounter any enemys]. I could play overture, requiem, what have you, but I'm having trouble playing Amnesia. I tell myself it's a game, but it's hard to tell. This game truly is art.
Well said, I could not agree more.  I can not stop talking about the game to my friends, it astounds me to think about it.  The environments and sound design are completely masterful.  And yes, a complete bargain for the price.  Simply brilliant.

I'm currently watching a "lets play" of it, and I'm getting tense with the guy just watching it. Excellent stuff (from hamsteralliance on youtube if anyone is interested).
tl;dr Shit-your-pants scary game that has the most perfect and masterful atmosphere and sound effects, setting I have experienced to date. Discuss!

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
Re: Amnesia: The Dark Descent
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 06:25:52 pm »

I'm considering getting this, I wonder if it'll be as good as if not better than the Penumbra series. Apart from the last one in the series..

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 06:31:31 pm »

A nice little adventure with the right atmosphere, would have liked the lamp oil to last longer and have more dark areas though.
Played it through in one sitting, a bit thrilled but not scared because
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
A bit disappointing end too.

It is. The puzzles isn't "Obvious, But game mechanisms makes it retarded" and the atmospheric effects is great.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 06:33:49 pm by Ivefan »

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2010, 11:21:36 am »

I'm enjoying this game so far, but I don't really get the deal with the enemies. It seems like whenever I spot one, it has already spotted me, and running away is just a game of cat and mouse. I.E. it always gets me in the end unless I zone out of that area.

What am I doing wrong here? I turn out my lamp and crawl away, but it's already mauling me by that time. Sometimes I get lucky and find a dark corner to duck behind, but getting past it later seems.. hard? Do I just wait until it's on the other side of the room or something?

Kind of frustrating.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2010, 11:50:23 am »

I haven't had that problem. Run immediately to put some distance between it and see if you can find a room to hide in, possibly some other obstructing stuff.
And turn of the lamp.

Usually the monsters disappear after walking a distance, but some have a patrol route.

Calhoun

• Bay Watcher
  • Reusable-Box
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2010, 02:05:41 pm »

I don't know why, but this game runs at a depressingly low framerate on my machine. Even at 800X600 resolution.

Nvidia 260 GTX, by the way.

Looks cool, but I can't rightly play it.
I know it's unrealistic, but I can't help but imagine little bearded babies for dwarves. In my mind, they come out of the womb fully bearded. That's how the mother carries them around, too, she just drags them around by the beard or ties it to her belt. When the father's on duty, he just ties their beards together and the baby just kind of hangs there, swinging to and fro with Urist McDaddy's movements.

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2010, 02:13:22 pm »

This looks awesome, and only 12.99 on steam :D

dbfuru

• Bay Watcher
  • TRICKINGGG
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube -Videos of my tricking progression-
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2010, 10:04:14 pm »

I bought it the other day and finished it, took 7 hours which is pretty good for the $20 I paid for it on steam. It took me an hour and a bit to earn that money.. So I figure 7 hours of pleasure/total fear for 1 hour of work is pretty good. I guess I must have missed the sale! There was a bit of criticism regarding the game length.. But it makes up with quality and anyway, the call of duty campaign only lasted me 4 hours.. Plus they released a toolset so hopefully some good custom stories get made in the future.

Overall, it's a great game. Frictional Games is great at making these sort of games. Hell their much older 2D game (freeware on their site) "Fiend" is scary as shit!. I think I felt a lot more tense during Amnesia, I found myself clenching my jaw at times when I was anticipating a monster.. They were a lot more horrific than Penumbras..

Scare Spoiler

It's so great.. I might get another 5 or 6 hours out of this if I play through with the commentary.. Though a lot of my play time I was probably not advancing far because I was too scared to enter a room where I thought I heard sounds or spending like 5 minutes in a cupboard daring myself to get out! Haha.

Another thing I liked is how they present the story, in notes and aural flashbacks. I love piecing stories together, which is why I loved Penumbra. I don't know why I compare it to Penumbra all the time.. Similar gameplay though.

The setting was great, very creepy.

Great game, I love these sorts and am anticipating the next survival horror by Frictional Games.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 10:08:04 pm by dbfuru »

Detrevni|inverteD

• Bay Watcher
  • Sometimes you have to step back to appreciate art.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2010, 03:13:28 pm »

Another thing I liked is how they present the story, in notes and aural flashbacks. I love piecing stories together, which is why I loved Penumbra. I don't know why I compare it to Penumbra all the time.. Similar gameplay though.

Penumbra and Amnesia are made by the same guys. That would explain why they're similar ;B

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2010, 07:35:24 pm »

The AI bugged out for me once or twice. Its funny how a monster suddenly becomes a lot less threatening when it's struggling to maneuver nature's most deadly obstacle; the fallen closet.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2010, 08:46:40 pm »

This game got a Yahtzee review today.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

kg333

• Bay Watcher
  • Derp.
    • View Profile
    • Steam Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2010, 09:13:00 pm »

This game got a Yahtzee review today.

Damn it, now I really wish I could run it...

KG

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2010, 12:16:34 am »

Hm, I watched the trailer on Steam today and um... Is it really like that or is that just a cinematic?  I mean the guy following the sound of a woman crying for help only to run away before he even sees anything threatening and all the panting and gasping?
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2010, 08:35:56 am »

Although that part isn't in the game, it's like that. the guy playing is just 'acting' it out though.

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2010, 10:11:34 am »

So I started playing this. It is incredibly tension-building in the beginning. I kept expecting something to show up and chew my face off but, while there were a few scares where something moved or a door opened or whatever, I never actually SAW anything horrible. The realization that all the books and furniture of the castle are fireproof was a bit of a letdown and I discovered a clipping issue in the very beginning, but all the same it's pretty scary-ish. So I'm pretty freaked out by the time I've made my way to the watery place. Then...
...And he only had ONE SPOON!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4