Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: What's the most disturbing and/or scary game that you have ever played?  (Read 3932 times)

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
Re: What's the most disturbing and/or scary game that you have ever played?
« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2010, 02:04:42 am »

Roll for anal circumference.
That's a game?!?

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2010, 02:36:15 am »

System Shock 2 was up there for me. I used to turn out the lights and play alone late at night to enhance the effect, though i doubt it would do that to me know.

My first memory of being scraped playing a game was playing Elder Scrolls: Arena. It was the first atmospheric and open ended 3d game I played, sometimes i really felt like i was in that dungeon. When monsters would attack from my blind side and startle me, I would actually jump. Of course this was back in the DOS days and it was all so new then. Again, I REALLY doubt it would affect me that way now.
I got nothing

Leonon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2010, 02:47:47 am »

Roll for anal circumference.
That's a game?!?
It's a core game mechanic of FATAL.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2010, 03:31:32 am »

Wow, Some people just shouldn't play those kinda games, I used to get scared by the games AFTER I stopped playing them. I could sit through the shit if it wasn't disgusting enough to make me turn it off, but after that, when I was asleep.... Yeah...

These days not much scares me, and when I dream up that shit after playing it, well I just know how to handle it now. Just played Left 4 Dead for the first time the other day, and well I could play it all the while through considering its about 'Zombies' and lots of death, that night I dreamed up the whole being in a Literal Zombie Situation...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vibhor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 19, 2010, 12:25:54 pm »

Stalker and oblivion's oblivion gates
Stalker had the atmosphere and oblivion had flesh bags which at first I wasnt scared of but soon started to find it disturbing.
Its true that if you are having fun then you really forget the difference between a unit worth tons of score and a mutilated walking corpse with an umbical cord hanging below it

Cheese

• Bay Watcher
  • 99% Dairy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2010, 12:30:28 pm »

Oblivion planes should have been more scary. They had some stuff that could have been disturbing but none of it really did scare me. Probably the graphics. If the guy in the cage I accidentally let fall to his spiky death had actually split into many pieces or had more convincing screams on impalement and flesh bags looked more fleshy, perhaps had body parts sticking out it would have been disturbing.

TimA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2010, 02:35:26 pm »

I highly recommend Amnesia:  The Dark Descent.  One of the best games I've played in the past few years, and easily the scariest ever.

It is genuinely terrifying. I had to take some regular breaks from the game to recover my wits, and because I was actually shaking and sweating.  I enjoy being affected by things in such strong ways.  Beautifully crafted game, I love it.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 19, 2010, 03:14:10 pm »

Yes, Amnesia is what I would call art. The term 'Video games are art!' is thrown around a lot, but Amnesia truly defines it. Amnesia makes you feel like your there, it has much of the same effects it would have if you were in the game. Shaking, sweating, anxiety, and so on, Amnesia affects you mentally and physically-Not just some game to pass the time, it's a game you can get easily immersed and terrified in. It's not a blow-off, I'd say it's well worth 40$ at least. In the very BEGINNING I felt like I skipped a heartbeat, I was so terrified by the atmosphere and surroundings[This is before you encounter any enemys]. I could play overture, requiem, what have you, but I'm having trouble playing Amnesia. I tell myself it's a game, but it's hard to tell. This game truly is art.

TimA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2010, 03:29:22 pm »

Well said, I could not agree more.  I can not stop talking about the game to my friends, it astounds me to think about it.  The environments and sound design are completely masterful.  And yes, a complete bargain for the price.  Simply brilliant.

I'm currently watching a "lets play" of it, and I'm getting tense with the guy just watching it. Excellent stuff (from hamsteralliance on youtube if anyone is interested).
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]