Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: iPhone + dfterm2. Any success stories?  (Read 2776 times)

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
iPhone + dfterm2. Any success stories?
« on: September 19, 2010, 01:41:09 pm »

I recently got dfterm2 working on my home computer. My intent is to be able to play from my phone.

(If you haven't heard of dfterm2, check out this thread. )

Has anyone found a good (free?) telnet app for iPhone?
Has anyone gotten it to work with dfterm2?
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: iPhone + dfterm2. Any success stories?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 02:21:56 pm »

Are you going to carry around a full-size keyboard that you can hookup to your iPhone?  :-\

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 02:23:44 pm »

Are you going to carry around a full-size keyboard that you can hookup to your iPhone?  :-\
If I can get it running I might consider a bluetooth keyboard. Mostly I am looking for something that will work with the popup touch keyboard. It'll probably be tricky to use, but hey, that's dwarfy, right?
i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

Zebra2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 02:33:00 pm »

Looks like it's been done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwHmASyYhOU

I can't imagine this being anything but a logistical nightmare though. Notice how little time he spends actually playing the game, and that horrifying interface. If I were you I'd just get a keyboard and deal with the embarrassment of having an iPhone hooked up to a keyboard, if you really want to try this.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:43:42 pm »

iSSH costs $10. I don't know if this little experiment is worth forking that out.

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 04:53:33 pm »

When I had DF set up on a Linux machine and ran it over ssh via PRINT_MODE:TEXT iSSH worked great. Unfortunately, when I tried it with the early versions of dfterm2 it had problems due to the extra terminal space required by the dfterm interface. I can download the latest dfterm tonight and see if it works any better with iSSH as there have been several version updates since I have tried this. If you have a jailbroken iPhone and are still running a 3.x OS, you can get an app that adds a virtual numpad to the keyboard, I haven't found one for 4.x however.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 04:58:20 pm »

Latest version of dfterm2 can utilize all of the screen for DF. It's activated by focusing on the DF window in dfterm2, and pressing CTRL+R and CTRL+F. First one removes borders, second one fullscreens the window. I don't know how easy it would be to produce these keypresses in iPhone though.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 09:27:45 pm »

You rock, Adeon. That made it work perfectly. Once you open the game in a slot just Alt+1 to get to the screen and Ctrl+F like Adeon said and it looks great. It's a little hard to play DF without real arrow keys, though. In iSSH you can use arrow keys by pressing and holding on the screen so a little screen comes up, then swipe up, left, down, or right for the arrow directions. Screenshots below!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: As a side note, you were asking about different telnet options. I tried just about every telnet/ssh app on the App store specifically for how well they work with DF/Roguelikes before going with iSSH. It's the best out of the options available.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 09:31:47 pm by Symbiode »

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:48:48 pm »

This community is the best. You guys seriously rule. Serious thorough answers, and quick. <3

Now I have to decide if playing on my phone is worth $20. (Only seems fair to give Bay12 as much dough as I give Apple if I am doing it just for their game.)

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 10:06:13 pm »

If you do decide to get it and need any help setting it up just let me know via PM or through google (symbiode [at] gmail).

Umi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 10:12:18 pm »

What is the fps like?  Is it playable?

Symbiode

• Bay Watcher
  • Mushrooms = bad
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 10:14:30 pm »

I was playing over wifi so it was just as fast as if I was using a separate computer to play DF over dfterm. The iPhone didn't make any difference in the speed or responsiveness. I'm sure it would work fine over 3g too, I doubt telnet uses much bandwidth.

ouroborus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2010, 11:57:34 pm »

Have you considered a 12-step program?

Not for Dwarf Fortress.

For your iPhone.

Adeon

• Bay Watcher
  • Obey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2010, 07:31:11 am »

I've tried playing DF with my Nokia N900 through dfterm2. Bandwidth is not the problem, mostly it's latency. Dfterm2 only sends areas of terminal window that has changed, and if it detects the client can't receive data so fast, it drops data that's no longer necessary to send. This way dfterm2 should never queue up a lot of data to send.

I have a 3G mobile connection in my N900, and the 200-300 millisecond latency I usually get (that fluctuates a lot) does make the game painful to play. In some places with better coverage (such as in the middle of Helsinki) it goes below 100 milliseconds.

Well anyway, I suggest pinging the computer where you run DF from your mobile device to see what kind of numbers you get. I personally find 50-100 milliseconds playable, but 200ms feels painful to play. Your mileage may vary.

Side note: I've noticed dfterm2 compiles and runs on ARM processors, the kind of you find on almost any smartphone. Too bad DF itself doesn't.
I make dead people. Dfterm3

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2010, 08:15:54 am »

Missä päin Suomessa olet yleistä? Asuin Kuopiossa pari vuotta, opin puhua hiukan. Varman viännän sannoi Savvon murteella hiukan vielä. Ois kiva juttella, kun ei Utahissa löydy monta joka osaa. Sun kirjoitettu Englanti on täaydellinen. Missä opit puhuun?
Pages: [1] 2