Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: stopping champions from rending recruits limb from limb  (Read 7897 times)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: stopping champions from rending recruits limb from limb
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2009, 04:04:17 pm »

My solution is a little less subtle, but requires next to no managing. All you have to do is go through the recruits once a year to see if they're injured.

I have a fairly large amount of speardwarves(more then 20), and training accidents just happen. What to do with them is a bigger question, especially since I never got a lot of metalworkers for armour, and I'm too lazy for changing weapons every time goblins show up.

Injury - Action

Dead: Bury in mass grave.
Spine broken or mangled: Change to guard/royal guard. Alternatively, bathing in magma solves the broken spine problem.
Spine injury, good military skills: Change to marksdwarf
Spine injury, no skills: Change to hauler, maybe stonecrafting.
Other injuries: Rest till it's healed. If it doesn't heal fast enough to keep up with the other dwarves, change to marksdwarf or hauler.

I currently count about 20 marksdwarves, and 30 crafters/haulers. This is only a problem when you have a population cap, mine is set to 500, so I don't have problems.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2009, 04:10:28 pm »

You can also set your champions to use bows when off duty make them use the archery range instead (provided you have a good supply of bolts).

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2009, 09:10:26 pm »

Any time I mix champion sparring with recruit training, even in full plate armor, the recruits usually end up with a fatal wound to the heart or a ripped out throat. I realized the problem was that I was letting the champions spar with their weapons, thinking that since they were legendary in their weapon skills they'd be able to avoid gutting the new recruits.

So I decided to set the champions to wrestle, and there were no further injuries.

So if you want to avoid having your elites run the recruits through, have them drop their weapons temporarily as they spar. They can pick them up on their way out to defend the fortress.

that is something annoying, that a legendary weapon user cant NOT kill people, i think it should be the other way around in sparring, the higher the skill the less likely you are to actually hurt someone

another solution would be to allow elite units to run training drills for recruits, elit guy just stands there and the recruits slowly gain skill up to about competant level. i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Devast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2009, 10:57:06 pm »

i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

The same guys that think its a good idea to make magmafalls.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2009, 05:47:04 am »

Any time I mix champion sparring with recruit training, even in full plate armor, the recruits usually end up with a fatal wound to the heart or a ripped out throat. I realized the problem was that I was letting the champions spar with their weapons, thinking that since they were legendary in their weapon skills they'd be able to avoid gutting the new recruits.

So I decided to set the champions to wrestle, and there were no further injuries.

So if you want to avoid having your elites run the recruits through, have them drop their weapons temporarily as they spar. They can pick them up on their way out to defend the fortress.

that is something annoying, that a legendary weapon user cant NOT kill people, i think it should be the other way around in sparring, the higher the skill the less likely you are to actually hurt someone

another solution would be to allow elite units to run training drills for recruits, elit guy just stands there and the recruits slowly gain skill up to about competant level. i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

Champion dwarf: If you can dodge my axe you can dodge...never mind.  NEXT!

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2009, 12:06:24 pm »

i mean, what kind of military gives people weapons straight off and tells them to go hit each other with them, with no proper training.

Sigged.

ac31

• Bay Watcher
  • [FIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2009, 08:57:30 pm »

Sigged.

wrong, THIS is the quote:

if i said someting and its sigged, my name has to be on it

for licensing reasons...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 09:01:01 pm by LordBaxter »
Just wondering if it would be possible (however unwise) to make demons a civilisation
I don't see any reason they couldn't be. What would happen if they breached the HFS?
Horrors! Annoying relatives in the deep!

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2009, 10:12:35 pm »

So we seem to have two groups here...  those who don't have many problems with recuit casualties and those that do.  I find this curious since (and this is a lage assumption) I'm assuming we're all using the same version?  I know some of the mods affect weapons, and I have to wonder if this is part of the problem??

Just my two cents.
Demon of Darkness

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2009, 07:16:07 am »

So we seem to have two groups here...  those who don't have many problems with recuit casualties and those that do.  I find this curious since (and this is a lage assumption) I'm assuming we're all using the same version?  I know some of the mods affect weapons, and I have to wonder if this is part of the problem??

Just my two cents.

I've only had 1 training fatality in a fort of 200+, and thats with several champion / legendary many weapon skills (and a lot of low-skill recruits).  Vanilla build.

Masennus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2009, 10:10:00 am »

Quote repaired for great justice.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2009, 10:45:57 am »

I've got a military population of 30 in a fortress of 76. whenever I get the "elite wrestler" message, I track down the dwarf and assign him to marsdwarfery. That way whenever people get good enough to do actual harm to each other, they're moved on to a profession where they cant harm each other.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2009, 12:45:44 pm »

You know, the odds of hurting someone during sparring are inversely correlated to skill level. It's been confirmed by ToadyOne.

Mind, when they do hit someone that someone becomes very dead, but even masterwork obsidian swords aren't recipies for mass death in the hands of champions, assuming everyone has plate. Which they should.

As for training deaths, i suspect it may be a matter of training method. I start by training to legendary wrestler, and perform most training with double-layer armor in my current non-orc forts. Usually the first wave has hit swordmaster by the time i start the second group, plus i use training weapons. At deathquest, training was more compressed and soldiers would start weapons training with only competent wrestling due to an urgent need for meatshields melee combatants. The times i've skimped on training are the times the barracks got littered with corpses.

EDIT: We should probably add weapon types used to the data collected. I favor swords, personally.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009, 12:52:35 pm by (name here) »
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2009, 09:37:41 pm »

Train everyone to Legendary wrestling before going on to other weapons. Not only will it help get their stats up, but wrestling helps them dodge most attacks.

I had a Legendary Wrestler with literally no armor fighting a Legendary Axedwarf (who also was Legendary in Wrestling.) Neither of them suffered anything worse than a Moderate-level wound.

Plus, wrestling builds up Toughness. With Superdwarvenly Toughness, a Light wound is healed in a matter of seconds.

Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2009, 10:13:44 pm »

lol, what I do is alternate between squads being on and off duty. When I have 2 squads+ with about the same stats, trigger those to spar. Innefecient, maybe, but it drives off those children snatching fiends away pretty good
Hello Hunam

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2009, 10:21:18 pm »

the legendary wrestler training is a good use, but in some cases (such as mine) after becoming legendary in one combat skill they will abosolutely refuse to use any other weapon than they have trained with, so when one of my guy's is about to change to champion, i take them out of the military and put them on hunting.

but when ever the game works, and the champions train with another weapon, they end up getting nervous system injuries and stop training, even with platemail.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009, 10:22:57 pm by kalida99 »
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch
Pages: 1 [2] 3