Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)  (Read 33512 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 02:08:06 pm »

Sorry, no update today. I'll make up for it with a double update tommorow though  ;)
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 02:44:36 pm »

Which mode are you doing? Inf or In? Either way, soon you need to get an underground tree farm going on in your house so you can sorta continue making stuff. Also, get 24 bars of iron and make them into a full set of armor.
Actually, both Infdev and Indev have been replaced by Alpha, which basicly is just Infdev. I hope Notch brings those options back in the future.
Does Alpha come with pre-genned caves? Or do you have to make them by yourself?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 03:10:39 pm »

Giant pre-genned caves, the bigger ones seem endless.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(updated daily, tons of images!)
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2010, 03:38:10 pm »

Day 5 and 6

Dear diary;

I think I've found a way to deal with my fear of monsters. If I hum to myself the music from one of the shows I watched as a kid, it calms me. It gave me the courage to remove the barricade I set up. I'll be honest with you, diary, it wasn't because I was afraid that the monsters might break through the door that I put up the barricade... I was afraid I might see the monsters.

It was time to set up my defenses. This was going to take an immense amount of work and time, but I was determined on doing this.

I started digging out a moat to function as an extention of the wall; that way they'd never get over the it.

I built the wall all the way to the sea; I wouldn't take the chance that they could swim or not.

It was getting dark, but I stayed out. If the monsters would come, so be it. I had a sword, and I intended to use it.

I put torches up everywhere to light up the area.

On retrospect, I actually wonder why I stayed out. I could have stayed inside and waited until the next day. But no; I did it in one go. It almost ended badly, even...

I repeatedly fell down when working on the wall. My entire body got slowly beat up, but I pressed on. Where did I get that willpower from, anyway? Was it in a rouse of facing those monsters? Maybe. I don't know for sure.

I think I saw something move in the darkness. Nothing attacked me, though. I forced myself to hum the music again to calm my nerves.

Finally, as the sun rose, it was almost finished. The wall surrounded my entire home, and more at that. But I wasn't done yet, there were a few adjustments to be made, and I needed a gate and a way to watch over the wall. Tired, I pressed on...

...but in the distance, I saw something.

For the first time, I got to see the monsters. Zombies. Green-skinned, stereotypical zombies, dressed in ragged clothes. One of them was burning. It must have been the sunlight. That's how they are all gone in the day.

One of them was in the water, apparently neutralising the fire effect of the sun. Since I was safe, I didn't find it scary. I found it... fascinating. Though I don't think there are only zombies that are in this place. That hissing noise I heard in the caverns certainly wasn't from a zombie. But this was a matter for another time. I went back to my work.

I made a door in the wall that faced the north. I hope it'll withstand the monsters.

And to look over the wall, I made a crude watchtower out of wood and stone. I wasn't very interested in aestethics at the moment; all I cared about was getting the job done. I might do a makeover of my home later, when my body isn't completely bruised up and on the verge of breaking.

I looked out from the tower, looked at the wall I'd made.

Finally I had finished it. Finally I could go out of my cave at night. Finally... I could rest.

In a haze, I made it back in the cave and collapsed in the corner. I barely have the energy to write. My body needs rest. I don't care what I'll do tommorow, now... I sleep.

Good night.

OOC: Yes, I did listen to Squiddles through the entire playthrough. It really did help beat the fear of the monsters :V
I'm not sure if I'll update tommorow, I'm going away for the weekend, and I might have to use internet tethering to get any net access. In that case, it'll be a triple-update on Sunday. If not, expect them to come at a normal rate.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:13:02 am by Dwarf Midget »

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 04:21:02 pm »

Jeebus, that's a lot of wood!

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »

Yes, it is. If I may make a suggestion, convert some of that wood into sticks, and make them into ladders using this formation:
Code: [Select]
S_S
SSS
S_S
Where S is a stick, and _ is open space.
Put the ladders in the inside and outside of the wall so you can get out and back in. If I understand it correctly, mobs can't climb ladders.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2010, 04:45:03 pm »

Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Yaddy1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2010, 07:53:00 pm »

Squibly-dee squilbly-da

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2010, 01:13:55 am »

Yes, it is. If I may make a suggestion, convert some of that wood into sticks, and make them into ladders using this formation:
Code: [Select]
S_S
SSS
S_S
Where S is a stick, and _ is open space.
Put the ladders in the inside and outside of the wall so you can get out and back in. If I understand it correctly, mobs can't climb ladders.
I think I'll use ladders on the watchtower instead, less chance of falling down and dying. Plus, it looks less ugly  :P
By the way, I think I'm going to simulate a function when I "go to sleep" the entire night, I turn the difficulty to easy and let my health go up by five hearts. That way I can heal my wounds by resting.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2010, 04:20:37 pm »

Day 7

Dear diary;

I woke up really stiff and sore. The punishment from my working session was taking it's toll, but the damage itself had healed quite a bit.

Looking out of the window, I decided one thing for myself: here, in my land, the sun rising over a thick wall is the very symbol of peace and safety.

The trees inside my fort were in the way, it was time a home makeover.

And, man, did removing those trees really open up the spot.

Another thing I wasn't pleased with was the crude stone staircase I had made for the watchtower. I had an idea for improvement.

First, I mined away the old staircase.

Then I went inside the cave and made myself a tall ladder.

I used the ladder to get up onto the tower, and redid the platform.

I made a staircase out of my remaining parts...

And tada, I made a much safer way of getting up the tower; it looks prettier, and I made a staircase that leads up to the ladder. Now that's architecture.

As a final touch, I put up some torches on the tower that faced out beyond the wall.

I dumped myself in the corner of a cave once I was done. I didn't get to do much, but there's always tommorow. Now that I think of it, I should put some glass windows up, at least in my cave. But like I said, there's always tommorow...

Good night.

OOC: Apparently, ScreenshotCaptor has a "repeat last selected region" option, so now I can take pictures without having to hassle myself with editing the pictures. Less work for me :V
And that was week 1! I wonder how long this will last. Might depend on the demand.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 07:16:33 am by Dwarf Midget »

Spade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 04:24:19 pm »

You should go dig/explore a cave now.  :P
DungeonEscape
Will you make it out alive?

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2010, 04:25:56 pm »

You should go dig/explore a cave now.  :P
Remember that hissing I heard? Yeah, I'm thinking of exploring it tommorow, after putting windows up.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2010, 04:40:45 pm »

Just past your walls you should dig a staircase as far down as you can in search of diamonds and gold!

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 24, 2010, 05:00:12 pm »

Just past your walls you should dig a staircase as far down as you can in search of diamonds and gold!
I already HAVE one! The wall I made down in the mine is just as breakable as normal rock, so I'll just tear it down. Besides, why go outside when you can be inside?

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 24, 2010, 06:26:32 pm »

Unless you have torches in excess, mobs can spawn.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16