Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16

Author Topic: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)  (Read 33486 times)

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)
« on: September 19, 2010, 12:25:29 pm »

Hey guys, I'm going to be playing Minecraft, and explore the infinite world of infdev(lolidunno). I'll update it in a journal-esque first-person view, ignoring why and when I was dropped here in the wilderness :>

However, I've got to do something, right? So, you guys can decide what I'll do. Map the world, name mountains, hills, lakes, rivers, and stuff? Terraforming? Making epic monuments? The sky's the limit(literally). I'll update later, once I've played at least the first day.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 10:09:37 am by Dwarf Midget »
EoS company name: Vikings Inc.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft infdev LP
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 12:29:32 pm »

Giant brick monuments.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:39:32 pm »

Day 1

Dear diary;

I woke up near a beach, behind a hill. The area seems very calm. Hopefully the fauna won't be too dangerous.

I decided I needed some tools, and chopped down one of the nearest trees(with my bare hands, no less) to get some lumber. I carved some planks out of it, and made myself a workbench. Finally having an A in Arts and Crafts is paying off.

I made myself some basic wooden tools, they'll help me survive out here in the wilderness.

Climbing up some trees, I got a better view of the surrounding area. There's a tall cliff behind my starting point, which has some stone. That'll be useful for some better tools, possibly some metal veins in there, too. But it was already getting dark and I had to make a place to sleep.

When I tried getting down from the tree, I fell and hurt my leg. Nothing serious, though; I still managed to dig myself a cave to move into.

I moved my workbench inside the cave. It's nice and safe in here, but it's quite dark. I have to check out that stone cliff tommorow and see if I can't find any coal to make torches off.

Before going to sleep, I dug into the cave some more. I found stone, so I used it to make a stone pickaxe. With the rest of my lumber, I made a wooden door so I could have a decent entrance to my camp. All in all, it's been an OK first day.

Good night.

OOC: I'm still quite new to Minecraft, I'm actually viewing a tutorial on the side. Still, it's going quite well.
On another note: If I ever die, I'll savescum, but I'll refer to it as a "bad dream" in the story. Seems like a good way to tie it into the story  :P
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:00:25 pm by Dwarf Midget »

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:50:42 pm »

Is that bedrock?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 01:57:38 pm »

I'm so going to watch this. If you want some more action, I think someone made a DF-to-minecraft utility, you could go in an awesome fortress.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 01:58:55 pm »

I think someone made a DF-to-minecraft utility, you could go in an awesome fortress.
Wait what? *Head explodes with awesome*

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 01:59:35 pm »

Is that bedrock?
As in, the stone that's always below the ground? Yessir.I just found out what bedrock is, no, that's just plain rock.

@Sheb, no thank you, I'll make my awesome fortress myself  ;D
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:00:45 pm by Dwarf Midget »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 02:53:44 pm »

Day 2

Dear diary;

I woke up to a beautiful sunrise this morning. I don't regret having the entrance face the sea.

Considering what to do, I decided to search the surrounding area for coal. A cave in the nearby cliff looked ideal.

Sadly, no coal was to be found.

On the bright side, I was greeted with a waterfall at the exit. When I move my home, I'll have to consider this spot...

While searching the cliffside, I found a new kind of rock. I mined out some of it out of curiosity, and found a peculiar black rock in the process. I'll inspect it more closely when I get the opportunity.

Finally, in the side of a hill, I found coal.

When I climbed down, I found another coal vein. Thing were looking better and better.

I mined all of it greedily. With a lump of coal and a stick, I made my very first torch. Finally I'd get lighting in my cave.

I was going to need some more wood, though, so I chopped down a couple of trees on the way back.

After making some more torches, I dug out the wall around the cave door and put torches beside it. It looks better now, and might chase away wild animals, if there are any.

I also put some of my beloved torches inside the cave. Let there be light!

It was getting dark, so I decided to dig the cave deeper and put more torches up.

And as a final touch, I made stone flooring. It gives a nice feel overall, and the floor is much less rough. Now I have light, and floor. After all this work, It's going to be good going to sleep.
I'm not too sure about what I'll do tomorrow. Maybe I'll hunt some animals, and make an oven. Roasted pork chops sounds delicous...

FINALLY THE PICTURES WORK PROPERLY
OOC: Man, the days just fly by... I barely have the time to go out for one trip before it's dark.
And guys, now's the time where I need your suggestions. What should I do? Should I start building a fort, or dig deeper to find ore? And Hugehead, please tell me what you need to make bricks.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 12:08:16 pm by Dwarf Midget »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 07:03:01 pm »

I think someone made a DF-to-minecraft utility, you could go in an awesome fortress.
Wait what? *Head explodes with awesome*
Here's the thread
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=64473.0
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 11:58:04 pm »

Feel free to use my ship anytime (save is linked in the thread). However, you may need to get rid of all the creeps first. Quarters are on decks III and IV; cabin is in Deck III, auxiliary in V. Have fun.

Use my sig-pic for reference if you want.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 12:00:29 am by Itnetlolor »

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explorer - A Minecraft Alpha LP(tons of images!)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2010, 09:02:10 am »

Day 3

Dear diary;

Before I went out hunting, I made a wooden chest for storing random junk/crafting materials I find, and a stone sword for chopping off some pig rump.

I went out quite early today, the sun hadn't risen completely. However...

As soon as I came out, I think I saw... a demon. I only caught a glimpse of it, it looked like it had fell out of the sky, and vanished without a trace. Could this be the sort of thing that's out in the night? I may have to make some things to defend myself...

After seeing this puzzling event, I was off to hunt me some bacon.

But the pigs were skinny; the meat they had wasn't even sufficient for a snack. Disappointed, I moved on to explore a bit.

I found some bamboo. I'm not too sure what I can do with it.

Still, I cut down some of it and brought it with me.

I tried killing another animal, a cow, but still, it was too skinny. Seems like it isn't possible to get meat around here.

A bit later, I found an interesting spire. It was quite tall. Out of momentary madness, I mined away the foundation...

And it stayed in place. It floated. It defied the laws of gravity! I was baffled. How is it even possible? Imagine what one could make with such things... maybe a flying fortress. This discovery, it must be the most important one I've had yet. I mustn't forget this. Not that I think I will.

While on the subject of incredible things, I looked out towards the sea... There's something past it. And something must be past that, too. Once I get settled properly, maybe I'll explore more widely... map the area, possibly. This land. The world. If I ever get the time... and if I survive. After all, no one lives forever.

There was little more for me to do outside, the day was about to end, so I went back and started mining.

I needed better tools. If I dug down far enough, maybe I'd find some ore...

And I did. Iron, no less.

After mining for hours, I went back up and looked down the tunnel. I was very pleased with my work.

I expanded my stone flooring to cover the additonal floor I'd dug out.

And before I called it a night, I made a smelter and smelted my iron ore.

But there was a cow mooing on the outside. Annoyed, I got an idea...

And flayed the cow for leather. Finally those animals are being useful.

Yet, I couldn't sleep in peace. I could hear the animals growling on the outside. Not the kind, cuddly ones, like in the day, but bloodthirsty, hungry animals. Or worse. I recalled that thing I'd seen in the morning. That must be the kind of... creature, that comes out in the night. I had to barricade the door to sleep soundly. Maybe I'm not wrong about doing it either.
I think I'll keep digging tommorow. Maybe take a breather outside, catch some fresh air. No matter how frightening the place may be during the night, I can't help but love how beautiful everything is in the shining sun. As long as I have a safe place to sleep, I think I've found paradise.
Except there's no one to talk to.

Good night.

OOC: Yeah, I think I actually saw a zombie or something, probably on fire, disappear in the morning. All the stuff that happened to day makes for good writing material  :D
@Itnetlolor, that just might work... I could make it based around the floating spire. Then I can ride the thing all over the world :>
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 06:55:46 am by Dwarf Midget »

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 09:08:41 am »

As someone new to Minecraft, I'm enjoying the heck out of this.

Quick question, though, regarding the flooring in your house.  Are those 1/2 steps, or is there actually flooring in the game that I've somehow missed?

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 09:10:09 am »

Yeah, they're half-steps. If you want full-steps, you can put two half-steps on top of each other.

KrunkSplein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 09:20:11 am »

Awesome, I will be making a ton of half-steps when I get home.  I just wish there were similar coverings for walls and ceilings.  The transitions from dirt to stone in my base taunt my OCD. 

I suppose you could mine out the existing ceiling and put down half-steps (like a RL drop-ceiling), though for the walls I'll want to wait until I can fire a ton of stone for the walls.  I don't like the cracked look that you get from putting down native rock.

...ooo, and I think I'll move my furnace to an inset in the wall.

Sorry, I'm rambling.  As I said, I'm still new to Minecraft.

Frajic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 09:25:24 am »

...ooo, and I think I'll move my furnace to an inset in the wall.
now why didn't I think of that.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 16