Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Ufo: The Two Sides - Multiplayer X-Com Remake  (Read 17873 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Ufo: The Two Sides - Multiplayer X-Com Remake
« on: September 19, 2010, 07:23:52 am »

Ufo: The Two Sides is a multiplayer remake of the original game X-Com: Defence / Ufo: Enemy Uknown, developed by Mythos Games and MicroProse in early 90′.

Ufo tts recreates most of the original features, adding a couple of new ones, and changing ones that existed. However, the game recreates most of the features as faithfuly as possible to maintain the unrivalled gameplay of its predecessor. Although numerous other attempts have been made to recreate x-com defence, there is no (known to us) multiplayer game that lets you play full campaings (that is both geoscape and battlescape). Project has been started on 1st of march 2009. There is no known date as to when it’s going to be complete.

How is there not a thread on this game yet? It's still in beta, but it's at V 0.96, and seems playable. I've poked at it a bit, but the single-player mode for the aliens doesn't have an opponent yet. Anyone want to try this out over Hamachi?

http://ufotts.ninex.info/

Network: B12Ufo
Password: Armok

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Ufo: The Two Sides - Multiplayer X-Com Remake
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 10:54:25 am »

It was  talked about in another thread or two, but I guess it deserves its own!
I got nothing

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 11:02:31 am »

I'll play somebody.  I'll have to mess around to see how the aliens work, I wonder if you mix up alien forces.  Act like it's a regular sectoid mission and have a chryssalid flank their position.
Shoes...

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 03:58:02 pm »

Cthulhu and I played for a few hours.

It's a bit buggy, but fun. There are a few missing sprites if you don't extract the data from normal X-Com 1, but it seemed mostly playable without that. The aliens apparently need to hold themselves back from certain cheap tactics (Kill every power core, use every blaster bomb so the human doesn't get any, send blaster bombs into the Skyranger on turn one, and build a fleet of battleships to attack the X-Com base in rapid succession). Other then that, it was fun playing as the aliens, killing as many X-Com agents as possible with my troops being completely expendable.

Ships cannot carry mixed race crews, so no fake sectoid missions filled with chryssalids.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 04:34:37 pm »

The game's a lot of fun, but it seems a little unbalanced toward the humans.  I used the UFO activity graphs to figure out where their base was (Madagascar.  I couldn't see it, but I knew it was there) a few days in and then I could just sit my interceptors (Which he couldn't see) on top of it, and shot down anything that came out.  I think he would've won in the end though, I'm not big on the micromanagement that you get into after a while and I was losing steam tech and equipment wise.
Shoes...

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 04:39:39 pm »

but it seems a little unbalanced toward the humans.
Never thought I'd hear that.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 05:23:24 pm »

Well obviously the game is still a meatgrinder, but you can cripple the enemy's economy by camping his base and shooting down anything that shows up.  Ships have way more fuel now, so you can hang around the base for a while before you have to go back, and your ships refuel fast enough that you can always have an interceptor waiting.

Also, I'd be interested in starting a game with anybody who wants to try it out.  i've still got my game with Nirur going, but he's invading my base so it might be rough.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 08:20:43 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 09:25:05 pm »

Hey, this game was in my pc gaming mag not too long ago, ill have to try it out :D

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 09:51:37 pm »

If you're interested in playing in around an hour or so I'll play you, Aussieguy, but I have to finish this D&D session.
Shoes...

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:33 pm »

I need to play a bit first to get used to it but I've hit a snag. Does the game usually only take up a quarter of the screen? How do I make it full screen?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 10:08:58 pm »

In the game folder there's a config.exe  where you can set options, including fullscreen and resolution.  Also, you need to use the config tool to extract game resources or there'll be missing sprites.
Shoes...

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 10:14:52 pm »

Thanks but as I extract it this error comes up:

There has been an error with files extraction :
C:\Users\Anthony\Documents\GEODATA\PALETTES.DAT (The system cannot find the path specified)

I'm running 64 bit win 7 so that is probably the problem.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 10:18:44 pm »

I hit the same problem the first time. You need to set the destination folder to your X-Com 1 base directory.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 10:19:28 pm »

Are you sure you're pathing to the right place?  The folder you specify should be the XCOM folder.
Shoes...

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 10:19:37 pm »

Okay thanks, this time it shall work!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9