Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Never thought of this before, but...  (Read 1603 times)

Kyle700

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Never thought of this before, but...
« on: September 18, 2010, 10:32:30 pm »

Is there anyway to melt a river during spring.  Sometimes I'll start out, and really need some water, but no, the river is frozen.  So is there anyway, even in the later stages of the game, to melt a river

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Never thought of this before, but...
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:34:14 pm »

Flow magma under/above it.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kyle700

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 10:36:10 pm »

well, I meant without the obvious answer of magma, sorry =P

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 10:36:27 pm »

EDIT:  Clearly I need to do more dwarfing.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2010, 12:35:58 am by Namfuak »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2010, 10:38:57 pm »

They'd melt into "globs" of water, which your dwarves would clean up, and not tiles of 1/7 water like you think.

If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Kyle700

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2010, 10:41:32 pm »

The river unthaws after half a year of waiting, but I'm impatient, haha.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2010, 10:46:52 pm »

Is there anyway to melt a river during spring.  Sometimes I'll start out, and really need some water, but no, the river is frozen.  So is there anyway, even in the later stages of the game, to melt a river

If the river begins unfrozen, then construct a well house over a portion of it and it'll remain liquid during the winter. That or dig a tunnel that the water can flood into and use that.

You could try caving in a section, but if it's a freezing environment, it'll probably just freeze again if a roof isn't built over it.

Quote from: Namfuak
You could dig it out and move all the ice blocks inside.  If you want to make a pool, you can set up a dump area and designate them all to be dumped.  They *should* melt when weather gets warmer.  If you need flowing water, I don't know what you can do unfortunately.  It would seem to me that a river would need to unfreeze eventually, or it couldn't have existed.

That only creates a puddle of no-depth water and a bit of mud from what I've seen and not enough to be used for anything besides irrigation. If it's above ground, it'll eventually refreeze into an ice floor instead of a wall.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2010, 11:07:58 pm »

That only creates a puddle of no-depth water and a bit of mud from what I've seen and not enough to be used for anything besides irrigation. If it's above ground, it'll eventually refreeze into an ice floor instead of a wall.
Makes me wonder if sometime I should try embarking in a cold-ish desert with a stream so that I can just irrigate by having everyone haul ice instead of fighting evaporation like I once did with in a hot desert: The water spreading into my reservoir evaporated faster than it would fill up. (My next desert embark, I'll probably try using water pressure to compensate.)

It'd also look nicer to have exactly rectangular patches of mud.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 11:11:04 pm »

It isn't even useful for irrigation - it doesn't create mud.

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:13:49 pm »

Well, scratch that idea, then. :P
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 01:40:48 am »

when I've dug a tunnel in the z-level directly below the surface from a brook/stream to my cistern I've noticed that the water in the tunnel will not freeze in winter when all the "outside" water does, unless it has a non-natural roof over it (i.e., it freezes through a constructed floor).  This was in both 0.31.12 and .13 that I have had this happen.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 09:12:01 am »

I don't think water that's being moved through a screw-pump can freeze either.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 09:16:03 am »

I don't think water that's being moved through a screw-pump can freeze either.

I've set up too many screwpumps only to watch them draw up... a single block of ice, which plugs the pump and prevents all future water from being drawn through.

So that's false, unfortunately.

MaDeR Levap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 09:23:41 am »

I've set up too many screwpumps only to watch them draw up... a single block of ice, which plugs the pump and prevents all future water from being drawn through. So that's false, unfortunately.
Probably he meant inside pump. It is impossible, of course, because pump technically teleports liquid from down at one side to up at second side.

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 11:24:11 am »

well, I meant without the obvious answer of magma, sorry =P

Well, in this case, the only real answer to your specific question ("is there anyway, even in the later stages of the game, to melt a river") happens to be magma.

All other options are workarounds which, for the most part, simplify down to 'use an underground cistern to store water for the cold months'.
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.
Pages: [1] 2