Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist  (Read 4367 times)

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Therapist
« on: September 16, 2010, 10:06:16 pm »

So how many of you haven't moved on to the new version yet because Dwarf Therapist isn't compatible with it yet? I've basically become dependent upon that program to keep my forts organized and efficient, so the thought of not being able to use it is terrifying.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 10:11:08 pm »

I haven't moved because of the migrant issues, lack of DT, lack of DFHack, and lack of Stonesense, in that order.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 10:18:59 pm »

And lack of mineable adamantine?

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20:23 pm »

That only requires a couple seconds to fix.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:39:42 pm »

I haven't moved because of the migrant issues, lack of DT, lack of DFHack, and lack of Stonesense, in that order.

This, very much this...

(stonesense is stricken out, because I dont really bother with visualizations, my imagination works well enough to take care of that for me ^_^)
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

Nigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Project Nutshot
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:14:48 am »

It is mostly the Civ zerging that killed it for me, combined with the DT incompatibility makes wait till there is something more worth the trouble than fixed beds.

Also could someone kindly explain the "migrant issues"? i havn't seen that on the forums all day and i hang around almost every hour to find new interesting things to learn.
Project Nutshot
I dont use MSN and such, just add me on Steam

fivex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 12:18:12 am »

It is mostly the Civ zerging that killed it for me, combined with the DT incompatibility makes wait till there is something more worth the trouble than fixed beds.

Also could someone kindly explain the "migrant issues"? i havn't seen that on the forums all day and i hang around almost every hour to find new interesting things to learn.
You will occasionally get dwarves with the drunk or master theif profession as immigrants. You can't give them labors but you can make them nobles

CinnibarMan

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 12:24:59 am »

You will occasionally get dwarves with the drunk or master theif profession as immigrants. You can't give them labors but you can make them nobles

Okay that is pretty hilarious.
Burning and raping the land is recreational. Where business is concerned, though, sustainability is the name of the game.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 12:26:20 am »

Migrant issues and minable adamantine, though the adamantine is fixable. I'm on a mac so I don't have Therapist, sadly. Very sadly. I used it on my windows partition on my old comp and I loved it so very very much.

salavis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 12:33:08 am »

i never had the chance to get into therapist does it work well?

Namfuak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 12:43:41 am »

Migrant issues and minable adamantine, though the adamantine is fixable. I'm on a mac so I don't have Therapist, sadly. Very sadly. I used it on my windows partition on my old comp and I loved it so very very much.

This.  I don't see why they don't port it to Mac, I can't imagine it would be all that complicated.  Then again I can't do much more than basic terminal commands so I don't know that much.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 01:22:37 am »

This.  I don't see why they don't port it to Mac, I can't imagine it would be all that complicated.  Then again I can't do much more than basic terminal commands so I don't know that much.
It think does work through Wine but you have to be running both it and DF in Wine.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 01:41:51 am »

i never had the chance to get into therapist does it work well?
Armok, yes!

The feature I use most frequently is the fact that you can sort by skill in a certain job.  Suppose I just got a bunch of new immigrants and I want to finally get serious with high-quality weapon-manufacturing, I would do the following:

Sort all dwarves by weapon-making skill.
Look designate the two dwarves at the top of the list to have weapon-making to be active.
Disable weapon-making for all the dabbling idiots who will just waste my steel.

I can't even IMAGINE the amount of effort that would take doing it in-game.  You can also sort by happiness and find out who is vulnerable to tantruming and take preventative measures (give them a pet cow for their haunting moos).

No Dwarf Therapist = No DF for me.  They form an inseperable pair.
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

Nigma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Project Nutshot
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2010, 01:55:27 am »

Yea it is not so much that DT provides features that aren't available in the game itself, it just gives you a TON more oversight.

Also it had to start somewhere... so i am pretty sure either DT or something similar will not vanish from the Dwarf Fortress game ever unless the game interface gets those massive oversight features as well.
Project Nutshot
I dont use MSN and such, just add me on Steam

FleshForge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 02:43:34 am »

Same here, I tried the new version but without DT it's really unpleasant to do much of anything with setting skills for more than a handful of dwarves, too unpleasant.  The utilities in DFHack are nice but I could have done without them.  No DT is pretty much a deal breaker, for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3