Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding  (Read 721 times)

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
Breeding
« on: September 16, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »

If I chain up a say, three female animals and one male, will the male impregnate all of them? Or should I be keeping more than one male. I was just planning on slaughtering any newborn male animals and keeping the females for breeding.
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 02:04:42 pm »

Probably there is a chance, ???...
Anyway, test it.. I dont know if that works but it is a good idea. Make sure to use cows   ;D

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 02:06:50 pm »

One male can impregnate any number of females.  Impregnation is via spores, and can happen at any range through solid rock.  The only limitation is that creatures inside cages cannot become pregnant, although they will give birth if they are pregnant before being caged.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Davichococat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 02:08:21 pm »

One male can impregnate any number of females.  Impregnation is via spores, and can happen at any range through solid rock.  The only limitation is that creatures inside cages cannot become pregnant, although they will give birth if they are pregnant before being caged.
Yep, nobody likes cages, lol.  :P

Deathworks

• Bay Watcher
  • There be no fortress without its feline rulers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 02:10:02 pm »

Hi!

And if you are really cheap, only have females of animals that the traders bring along - I had a fortress with only female cats, and they still bred after merchants visited with a male cat in one of their cages (which I did not buy).

Deathworks

drseptapus

• Bay Watcher
  • The peasant strangles the cat's throat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »

Probably there is a chance, ???...
Anyway, test it.. I dont know if that works but it is a good idea. Make sure to use cows   ;D

the only animals that can breed right now are horses, still trying to find a bull or a male cow or whatever it is in this game. Also, can mules and donkeys breed?
I'm sure by the time toady gets too old to program, DF will have reached a stage where as it is sentient enough to program itself.
It won't program itself, it'll be too busy taking breaks and attending parties to code.

Naina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 02:19:37 pm »

Donkeys can, mules cannot.  Mules are the offspring of a horse and a donkey, and all of them are tagged male (though in real life, you can get female mules, they're just sterile)

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 03:13:18 pm »

Just to be clear:  Mules are the offspring of a horse and a donkey in the real world only.  In DF, Mules are created by spontaneous generation off-screen, and cannot be created within your fortress by any means.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Tfafalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 03:27:01 pm »

Cows/bulls can breed.

The only problem is that caravans only carry 'cow cages', even if there is a bull inside, so you don't know what you're buying.

K4el

• Bay Watcher
  • [BORED][AT_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 07:22:58 pm »

Personally i keep a ratio of 1 male for 5 females when im working on my meat industry.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 07:42:17 pm »

the male animals must be very happy.

Comrade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 07:43:44 pm »

Eskielidder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 09:12:08 pm »

I'm pretty sure animals still breed in cages.

I have all my animals in one cage and the cats and dogs breed at a crazy rate. Probably helps that they are all stuck in the same cage tho, not much else to do but....well....you know.
so now I'm in a terrifying desert
a nightwing killed 3 of my starting 7 but things are looking up now