Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: On Morality In Video Games  (Read 5026 times)

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Morality In Video Games
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 08:29:30 am »

Although if you revised it slightly to "Attack and kill anyone not in your immediate family/ tribe" it could create some weirdness.

Weirdness?

I thought that was how the world actually worked?
Yeah, but now it would actually be the morally correct thing to do.

I thought it was the morally correct thing to do?

Or are you telling me that every single war ever waged was immoral?
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 09:54:01 am »

Are you telling me that every single war ever waged was moral? :P

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2010, 09:58:08 am »

Yes

And yes.

At least two sides to every war after all :)

My main annoyance of most (all?) game moral choices is the good for sake of good and evil for sake of evil thing. I didn't save that farmer because I'm good, I saved him because he offered me a huge reward of goodies and so really I'm exploiting that fact he needs someone's help.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:01:52 am by Shades »
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Ephemeriis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2010, 10:03:42 am »

In the minds of the folks going to war, at the time, yes.

We're always told it's the right thing to do.

Of course, people disagree...  Especially the folks who're on the other side of the warfare...  And sometimes it turns out that you weren't going to war for the reasons you thought you were...  Or maybe in retrospect things aren't as clearly right and wrong as they seemed at the time...  Or maybe there were alternatives that nobody was told about...

But you generally have a hard time convincing people to fight and die if they think it's a genuinely immoral thing to do.
Work is the curse of the drinking class.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:08 am »

I once made a character in Saits Row that looked EXACTLY like me. I had to stop playing it because i kept watching myself shoot people and be shot by people. Thats not right, man.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 10:51:10 am »

I once made a character in Saits Row that looked EXACTLY like me. I had to stop playing it because i kept watching myself shoot people and be shot by people. Thats not right, man.
You're joking right?

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 11:08:37 am »

Nah, im not joking. The character looked EXACTLY like me. At first it was okay, a novelty, but over time it started to niggle until i didnt want to play anymore. I soon realised it was because I was being shot up and committing crimes and shit, when i made a new character i could paly again without giving a shit.
I play games to distance myself from reality (dont read too much into that, im not going all emo and shit. It just happens subconsciously). Playing myself ingame just felt wrong.

How many times have i typed shit in this post, not including that last one? christ.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 11:11:02 am »

Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2010, 11:13:31 am »

Nah, im not joking. The character looked EXACTLY like me. At first it was okay, a novelty, but over time it started to niggle until i didnt want to play anymore. I soon realised it was because I was being shot up and committing crimes and shit, when i made a new character i could paly again without giving a shit.
I play games to distance myself from reality (dont read too much into that, im not going all emo and shit. It just happens subconsciously). Playing myself ingame just felt wrong.

How many times have i typed shit in this post, not including that last one? christ.
I honestly wouldn't care about seein' myself killing people in a game. As a matter of fact it would probably make me smile.

Mishy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2010, 11:14:48 am »

Try it out, you may find the opposite. Then again, you may not.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2010, 11:17:06 am »

Try it out, you may find the opposite. Then again, you may not.
I don't have the patience to create something that looks just like me.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2010, 11:42:39 am »

My main annoyance of most (all?) game moral choices is the good for sake of good and evil for sake of evil thing. I didn't save that farmer because I'm good, I saved him because he offered me a huge reward of goodies and so really I'm exploiting that fact he needs someone's help.

You're right about that. The moral choices never take long-term plans into account. Possibly because it's really hard for the game to detect your long-term plans. Of course, they should have the good sense not to add the kind of decisions where long-term evil plans could matter. Planescape: Torment didn't actually allow the player to do much of that kind of thing, but the story provided a pretty good example of the practical evil character alignment. The Practical Incarnation saved the life of at least one guy for the express purpose of getting him to swear an oath to follow him until his death. And seduced a woman so he could let her die later, so he could use her ghost to aid his future incarnations, as a backup plan in case his quest failed.

But you generally have a hard time convincing people to fight and die if they think it's a genuinely immoral thing to do.

Well, the war itself isn't really seen as good, is it? Justified, perhaps, but not good by itself. We wouldn't want to go to war, but we HAVE to, for the greater good. Most of the time, at least. The Aztecs didn't sacrifice hundreds because they liked it. They did it to stop the world from ending.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2010, 12:39:17 pm »

The Aztecs didn't sacrifice hundreds because they liked it. They did it to stop the world from ending.

What?!?

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 17, 2010, 12:40:04 pm »

GO GET THE RITUAL KNIFE RIGHT NOW
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 17, 2010, 12:42:12 pm »

GO GET THE RITUAL KNIFE RIGHT NOW
AND SACRIFICE SOME RANDOM FORUMITE THAT ISN'T DWARF MC DWARF TO THE BLOOD GOD!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6