Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released  (Read 114888 times)

DalGren

• Bay Watcher
  • Arcade survivor.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.13 Released
« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2010, 04:09:09 pm »

Played a tiny bit with this release. Aside from what I asked in the future of the fortress topic (Truetype text resizing with map...it should stay the same regardless of zoom level so it's legible when zooming out), I fired up adventurer mode and...well, I didn't expect the new populations to make such a difference, makes adventure mode places feel...better, I can't really explain it.
I managed to crash DF by zooming in/out quickly, but can't reproduce it consistently.
Also I noticed that in adventurer mode, it's BLAZING FAST in comparison to previous versions. I could walk a big distance in a village without having a delay of +/- one second as in older versions. This promises a lot, I can't wait to see more Adventurer love <3<3
Generating worlds is slower as advertised. But I feel it's a much livelier map, so it pays.
I often play devil's advocate for the sake of debate. Don't take it personally.

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 15, 2010, 04:17:05 pm »

This version failed to launch at all on my system.  It appears to be missing the .MANIFEST for MSVR100.DLL.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 15, 2010, 04:19:35 pm »

In the farmland houses, are there supposed to be twelve or so humans just standing around (including one always blocking the entrance)?  That seems rather cramped.

Toadie hasn't gotten to their routines yet so they don't really do anything right now. I'm guessing they're supposed to spend most of their time out in the fields.

devek

• Bay Watcher
  • [KILL_EVERYTHING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 15, 2010, 04:35:27 pm »

Works fine.

Since you upgrade your compiler.. this would be a perfect time for you to test something Toady.

Compile .12 with 48x48 mapblocks using the old compiler and compare it to the .13 version performance with the 16x16 mapblocks. :)

I would bet money the .12 would win in a fps test on a large developed fort
"Why do people rebuild things that they know are going to be destroyed? Why do people cling to life when they know they can't live forever?"

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 15, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »

Still, it's wonderful update and let's hope that '13' won't be bad thing ;3
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 15, 2010, 04:42:31 pm »

Just the fix to the lever linkage makes this release the best one ever.  Seriously.  I'm happier about that than I was about going to 3D :D

That bug had a nice workaround, pressing v would recenter on the selected item in the list.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 15, 2010, 04:50:45 pm »

I'm getting crashed during the opening movie.  If I skip it, the game runs just fine.  Love the new font support, can't wait until it's all nailed down.

I also get the opening movie crash.  At first I thought it was because I was playing through a Remote Desktop connection, but unless you were doing the same thing...  Not an issue if it's skipped, though.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 15, 2010, 04:54:52 pm »

Not being able to embark in villages is cutting down on the amount of cool embark spots. I found a great carp-filled river canyon at a four-way river intersection in adventure mode and I can't embark on it because it's in a village.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #98 on: September 15, 2010, 05:13:08 pm »

FPS report from Genesis mod v3.12.
Only copied main executable, DLLs and "data/index" into existing installation.

Fort A: 67-69 fps improves to 77-78 fps.
Fort B: 45-48 fps improves to 54-57.
Fort C: 70-72 fps improves to 76-83.

This is most delightful, Master Toady!

Edit: fortress log:   Miner had a baby girl. Assign a bed-based room to the mother. CRASH! (might have been also 37 soldiers rushing to train in barracks.)
Edit: try again: soldiers are training in militia-commader's chair-based room... most odd.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 05:21:19 pm by TomiTapio »
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

BadSyntax

• Bay Watcher
  • The root of all null pointer exceptions...
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 15, 2010, 05:22:48 pm »

So is Dungeon Master fixed then  :D
Dasleah>   Snappleseed: if they threw up that's one hell of an orgasm

Demicus

• Bay Watcher
  • The formless enigma
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 15, 2010, 05:23:40 pm »

Took forever to sync folders. Could just be the cmputer I'm trying it on. Will have to check other computers.
All shall embrace the unquenchable flame
Dwarf Fortress: The weak shall be culled, so the strong can have nicer socks.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 15, 2010, 05:24:26 pm »

Damn timezones, I've got school, and an assignment I have to finish. Oh well, update, hooray!

Bronze Dog

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 15, 2010, 05:49:19 pm »

Good to hear the bed bug is fixed. Generating my second world after finding a spot on the first. Generation went fine, if a little slow generating historical figures over the years.

The urban sprawl made finding locations more difficult on my first map, but not impossible. Did have a few where I worried about the surrounding goblin villages. To be fair, I was avoiding aquifers, since I haven't read up on tricks for penetrating them.

I might try finding a few obsidian layers to make swords, now that those are supposed to work.
Bronze Dog has been feeling rather happy lately. He is fond of scimitars, black bronze, turquoise, and kobolds for their underdog status.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 15, 2010, 06:47:45 pm »

Seconding this question. The entity_default.txt file seems to have changes (has a new date) though I can't find the actual changes in it.

I did a diff on it for you, here's the changed/added lines:

Code: [Select]
[ENTITY:MOUNTAIN]
   [START_GROUP_NUMBER:10]
[ENTITY:FOREST]
[ENTITY:PLAINS]
   [START_BIOME:ANY_FOREST]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_OCEAN:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_RIVER:1]
[ENTITY:EVIL]
   [START_BIOME:MOUNTAIN]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_WETLAND:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_DESERT:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_FOREST:2]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_OCEAN:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_LAKE:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:MOUNTAIN:3]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_GRASSLAND:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SAVANNA:1]
   [BIOME_SUPPORT:ANY_SHRUBLAND:1]
[ENTITY:SKULKING]
[ENTITY:SUBTERRANEAN_ANIMAL_PEOPLES]

Huh weird I don't see the Start Group line in mine, or the zip file.

But I did see the START GROUP bit in a save from a previous version, not sure what version though
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 06:52:38 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Da Spadger

• Bay Watcher
  • WINDMILL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 15, 2010, 06:50:01 pm »

So is Dungeon Master fixed then  :D

I was wondering this too. Also, does obsidian show up in the z-stone menu or do you still have to resort to removing [MAX_EDGE] from the raws when you want to switch?
While flooding by mining is done slowly, tediously and by accident, flooding by dwarven engineering is done with great speed, endless vigor and also by accident.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22