Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300457 times)

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2400 on: August 11, 2011, 12:31:56 am »

I may have to disagree. This is from the powerful build description:
"The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category"
This was all I could find that would allow or disallow Monkey Grip.

There is also the fact that what is considered normal for a non-monkey grip user does not apply to Goliaths. They would treat huge weapons as other races would use large weapons. I'd say that it is vague enough to be up to the DM to allow or disallow that kind of feat use. Would be an awesome back-up if I could.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:33:30 am by The Fool »

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2401 on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:58 am »

I believe monkey grip affects size, so it may not stack with power build, and be more of the same thing.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2403 on: August 11, 2011, 08:15:11 am »

Alright. That answers that. I'll go for the huge weapon wielding rage barbarian though. That should still work as long as have the Extra Rage feat on top of the Mountain Rage variant. Should be intense if Rumus meets another grappler of doom. I'll post a sheet later.

EDIT2: Here is the angry glass cannon. 4d6+15 with +12 to hit at level 3. If it didn't rely on rage so heavily it might be broken. The temp stats are his rage stats. His rage lasts 11 rounds BTW.

Here is a small list of what would need to be approved:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I'm in no hurry to die this time, but this sheet seems awesome. Masterwork Huge Greatsword is expensive. It costs 1264g, and only gives +1.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:01:44 am by The Fool »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2404 on: August 11, 2011, 11:17:21 am »

Monkey Grip and Powerful Build don't stack because they both say you can use weapons "one size category larger than you." If the description was, "you go up a size category in regards to your ability to wield weapons", then they would stack. Alas, they do not.

As for the Mountain Rage Variant, I don't think it was thought through very well. It explicitly says that you don't get any benefits to weapon size, grapple modifiers, etc. since you already have them from your Powerful Build. The thing is, Powerful Build DOES stack with size increases, so what the fork? I'm going to go with strict Rules As Written on this one, and say that Mountain Rage doesn't stack with Powerful Build; you'll need another way to increase your size category to use that weapon. (however, since the only reason those two things don't stack is because the description for Mountain Rage explicitly says it doesn't stack with Powerful Build; it says nothing about Monkey Grip or similar, so if you had Mountain Rage and Monkey Grip, you could use those two together to wield a Huge weapon. For bonus points (of damage), ask someone for an Enlarge Monster spell and wield a Gargantuan weapon.)

Those four things in your spoiler are all fine to use, I guess.
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2405 on: August 11, 2011, 11:42:52 am »

Unrelated question.

Does the Wand of Shatter cast the Shatter spell as if it had two caster levels or only one?
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2406 on: August 11, 2011, 11:44:33 am »

I think the reason that weapon size was mentioned was because increasing in size via magic also increases your weapon size, and unless mentioned otherwise it is assumed to have grown with you. I added the Monkey Grip feat as my 3rd level feat since I can see this as a poorly worded variant. Still a fun character.

@Dwarmin: Don't wands have a caster level equal to the one who created it? I'll take a look, but I think I may be right.

EDIT: Yep. It is cast as if it were cast by the creator of the wand.

EDIT2: Looked at the Gargantuan greatsword damage. 6d6+16 with an average of 37 damage per swing. It almost seems like I'd be hitting them other the head with a house. Shoruke would have a hard time balancing the encounters. Imagine the crits...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 12:00:17 pm by The Fool »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2407 on: August 11, 2011, 11:53:09 am »

Hmm. I guess someone needs to identify it then...
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2408 on: August 11, 2011, 12:15:12 pm »

So, regarding that Ashworm Dragoon... Things I'd like to be approved:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, there are a number of feats on d20srd.org under "Psionic Feats" that are unrelated to Psionics; Namely:
Cloak Dance
Deadly Precision
Mind over Body
Open Minded
Rapid Metabolism
Sidestep Charge
Stand Still

Are any of these feats allowed?

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2409 on: August 11, 2011, 04:50:42 pm »

*fondly remembers the days when you only needed 1 book to play a tabletop game* Heh... Now there's just soo many rules options, feats, homebrew, resources, expansions... oi. Hard to keep up with it all.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2410 on: August 11, 2011, 10:01:08 pm »

I recall goliaths not being humanoid, so you would need something other than enlarge person...

Oh, and I think that powerful build specifically states that it does not increase reach. I suspect that reach is only a matter of your natural reach from size and body shape multiplied depending upon the reach property, and weapon size itself doesn't play a part, but this is just a theory, I haven't read anything to support it...
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 10:03:13 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2411 on: August 12, 2011, 01:24:55 am »

Yep.  As Shoruke said, Goliaths (Monstrous Humanoid) need Enlarge Monster to grow in size. I'm not entirely sure which book this is from, but I'm not a caster anyways.

As for reach it stays normal until Mountain Rage is activated. According to the description your reach increases to 10', and your size increases to large. This growth specifically does not stack with powerful build, meaning that you effectively ignore the fact that you have powerful build while raging.

Oh, and weapon size doesn't change your range. Even if you are swinging a house on a stick you still have the same range as when you swing a tiny dagger.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:27:57 am by The Fool »

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2412 on: August 12, 2011, 05:04:57 am »

Unless the house is on the end of a stick...

P.S.

Spoiler: Flaws (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: trait (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 07:19:26 pm by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2413 on: August 12, 2011, 11:07:21 am »

With the exception of Broken Alignment you'd be hurting yourself badly by taking one of those flaws. Those flaws are much more painful than the ones in Unearthed Arcana. Though I will say that the curses would be fun if you think you have enough luck. I would allow for multiple feats for each curse since you can't have Twice Cursed without Cursed.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2414 on: August 12, 2011, 09:40:57 pm »

Spoiler: Journalogue (click to show/hide)

Also, I'm adding three feats to my request: Able Learner, Heroic Destiny, and Protected Destiny, all from Races of Destiny.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 09:50:28 pm by RedWarrior0 »
Pages: 1 ... 159 160 [161] 162 163 ... 244