Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 299921 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (next game Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #2250 on: August 02, 2011, 04:15:29 pm »

@The Fool:

Daylight pellets are only good for dispelling darkness spells. For the same price as a single daylight pellet, you can get a pile of 75 sunrods (or three times that if you get Kimiko to make them for you), each of which provides equally bright, non-magical light that lasts over six times as long as a single pellet. I can't imagine them being a good investment.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2251 on: August 02, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »

Thanks for pointing that out. That will save me quite a bit. I'll remove it from my list then.

Steam ID: The Fool [B12]
A Flexible Mind (Suggestion Game)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2252 on: August 02, 2011, 05:59:09 pm »

Currently working on my backup character, for when Maelrigar inevitably gets assassinated by the dirty fire-beast among us.  ;)

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2253 on: August 02, 2011, 07:36:08 pm »

Shoruke, does this world have the same planar cosmology as typical D&D? As in Baator and the Abyss and whatnot. Specifically, the stuff in Fiendish Codex II: Tyrants of the Nine Hells? It's relevant to a backup character I have in mind.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2254 on: August 02, 2011, 09:57:55 pm »

I think that the character creation stuff should be updated to include the algorithm used to calculate starting level, and maybe a wealth by level chart for convenience...

Because I like making characters, I might throw up a few example characters for people to start with if for some reason they don't...

Spoiler: S.R.D. Only (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Spiked chain tripper#1 (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: RRRRRAAAAAAGGGHHH (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: too many templates (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 08:42:46 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2255 on: August 02, 2011, 10:31:51 pm »

Ooh, an Occult Slayer barbarian. I'm actually working on a Fighter/OS/Warblade thingy, myself. I didn't think anyone else used it.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2256 on: August 03, 2011, 01:00:15 am »

Since I found out that dire wolf is a -6 level adjustment here is a temporary replacement until that level is reached. It's a dire bat. Still large. Still powerful. Maybe it can be considered a mount? If so this might be an awesome placeholder.

Oh, and Mael won't have to worry about my character. Dangerous or not he respects Procan and Procan's followers.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2257 on: August 03, 2011, 01:05:31 am »

I believe, by the rules, that a large quadruped with enough carrying capacity can become a mount if trained. Then again, some mounts I've seen listed aren't quadrupeds. I've had a Grippli Ranger ride an albatross around before, so it's not too far-fetched.

EDIT: A quick checklist for my backup character. To use it as-is, these are the non-core things I would need to be able to use.

1. Dragontouched feat from Dragon Magic
2. Dragon Wings feat from Races of the Dragon
3. Warforged race cleared
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:17:04 am by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2258 on: August 03, 2011, 07:18:04 am »

I put a link to my character plan in the second reply, and will be putting other builds there as I make them...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2259 on: August 03, 2011, 09:13:27 am »

Maybe I should play that Goliath guy, since I never worked out how to do my Gnoll ranger. :P
Or maybe, I should just stop trying to be fancy and roll up one of the basic races? I don't know.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2260 on: August 03, 2011, 10:01:37 am »

@Yoink: It's up to you. Level adjustments are about the only hurdle you'd have to jump for the Gnoll, or Goliath race. It's worth it in the long run normally, but basic races are easier to manage and harder to kill normally early on.

@RAM: There is also the inhuman reach feat from Lords of Madness. You'd need a junk feat to get it, but +5 ft to reach is just silly with a tripper. Comes at a cost to accuracy though (-2 to attack rolls).

@Shoruke:
Spoiler: More stuff (click to show/hide)

EDIT: And if anyone is interested this should be my own character build. I'm posting this mainly for the sake of being sure that everything I picked was mentioned. Would be painful if I forgot something, and had to restructure the feats again.

Spoiler: Rumus' build (click to show/hide)

EDIT2: And here is my journal. This post is getting long.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:11:33 pm by The Fool »

Shoruke

• Bay Watcher
  • There's a Prinny in Fire Emblem, dood!?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2261 on: August 04, 2011, 11:12:01 pm »

Apparently I looked at Stihe's experience count (which was in the 4000's at the time) and thought "She is level 4". Whoops. That's been corrected; you get 460 journal experience, not 400.

As for your flaw thing, I don't exactly know what it is that you are trying to do... Meagre Fortitude seems to have been quoted verbatim from the SRD, and you're trying to add the fear of worms as a flaw too.....? You'll need to explain exactly what you want to happen here. However, given the circumstances, I think it would be fine for you to apply a flaw and feat while not taking a level. (Unless you're trying to say that Scoleciphobia is a good flaw because it's always on... which it isn't.)

Figuring out the cost of "standard" enchantments for weapons (for instance, Flaming) can be done quite easily by consulting the SRD. A magic weapon must have a +1 (or higher) enhancement before you can add other effects to it, and the flaming property is a +1 price modifier, so it would cost as much as a +2 longbow. If you've got a masterwork longbow ready to be enchanted, it will cost you exactly 8,000 coins. If you've got a +1 longbow, it will cost 6,000. If you've got a mundane longbow, it will cost you 8,375 to buy a new goddamn longbow that was made properly  :P and have it enchanted.

And I don't know where you heard that the price of a +1 weapon is supposed to be set by the GM, the only way in which that price isn't written on stone is that it's written in HTML instead...

Collar of Healing looks fine
Dimension Stride Boots are fine
Enduring Amulet looks... okay... I'm almost considering making it a couple hundred gp costlier, but naw
Gauntlets of Energy Transformation are fine
Sandals of Sprinting are okay, although I find that whenever I try to run while wearing sandals I feel like they're going to fall off...
The Watch Lamp is fine
Jumping Caltrops are fine, although I seem to be having a hard time spelling it today for some reason???
Magic Bedrolls are fine, although considering you're already getting more hp/level when sleeping and you have something else on your list to grant permanent Endure Elements, it seems redundant. And it was totally on page 163, not 164. </nitpicking>

As for cosmology, when you die, your soul passes on to the Neutral Ground, where you are judged; you are sent either to the realm of your diety (if they'll have you, and they typically will) or to the plane of whatever ideal/alignment you served most during your life. Occasionally, the gods will get into an argument over who gets a person's soul, so they summon a being of True Law to make the decision. Beyond that, nobody really knows a heck of a lot about what comes after death, since your memories are always hazed out when dead (due to lack of brain to store them, and all). PM me with your idea and we can discuss details for your character, though.

Rumus won't be able to even have a Dire Bat as an animal companion until he reaches level 8, since his effective level for his animal companion is not 4, but 2. (rangers only get half their level for animal companion stuffs) So you'd also be waiting until Ranger 14 to use a Dire Wolf.

I'm fine with using the Dragon Touched and Dragon Wings feats (even using one to meet the prerequisite for the other), but I think I'm going to have to houserule that Warforged can't have the Dragonblood Subtype due to lack of, you know, blood. Even if they could, a construct who grows wings due to his lineage is just kind of silly. However, we might be able to negotiate that you can have your back plating redesigned to give you wings, at a huge cost and at the expense of some of your defenses/normal movement or something... Failing that, there's always potions/wands of Fly.

Champion of the Wild looks okay, but you'll still have to ask for any of the non-core feats... non of them sound too broken, though.
Spiritual Connection sounds fine, but only because it is something that I would totally do. Replacing your utterly useless class feature with a similar thing that just might work? Yes please.
The Feral Animal Companion thing looks a bit iffy to me... then again, the system is designed so that most of your enemies don't live long enough to see the incubation of an infection, so sure, I'll allow it.
The Wild Plains Outrider looks okay...
Natural Bond is fine, and the calculation is basically okay, as long as your effective druid level doesn't surpass your character level (Natural Bond loses all or some effectiveness if it does).
Sharp-Shooting is fine.
Dire Bats and Dire Wolves are fine, they're core, don't know why you listed them as needing approval...

Last point is the session this week. It is not, in fact, this week, since I now work Saturday. Damn them shotgun weddings. It's probably not Sunday either, since we have "the banquets staff go out for supper and do teenagers-with-too-much-money things day" on sundays most weeks. So, Monday Tuesday Wednesday choose now GO
The Unforgotten Beast, Shoruke, has come! A pale-skinned human. It has heterochromatic eyes and moves in an unpredictable manner. Beware its rapier wit!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #2262 on: August 04, 2011, 11:32:07 pm »

Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday should work for me. Doesn't matter.

For previously stated backup character, I'll PM you. However, I'd also like to request the Warlock class from Complete Arcane p. 5 and that the DR gained is DR/silver rather than DR/cold iron.

The Fool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2263 on: August 04, 2011, 11:49:50 pm »

Since Saturday and Sunday won't work, I'm up for either Monday or Tuesday at the usual time. I work on Wednesday though.

As for not being able to have a Dire Bat right away, that is what Natural Bond is for (Beastmaster also helps). I'll just retrain Natural Bond at level 6 when it no longer does anything. Also, thanks for OKing the items. I'll add some of them to my sheet.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 12:06:30 am by The Fool »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2264 on: August 05, 2011, 12:25:15 am »

I'm fine with using the Dragon Touched and Dragon Wings feats (even using one to meet the prerequisite for the other), but I think I'm going to have to houserule that Warforged can't have the Dragonblood Subtype due to lack of, you know, blood. Even if they could, a construct who grows wings due to his lineage is just kind of silly. However, we might be able to negotiate that you can have your back plating redesigned to give you wings, at a huge cost and at the expense of some of your defenses/normal movement or something... Failing that, there's always potions/wands of Fly.
Anyone can use Fly.  ::) Here's my logic. Dragontouched indicates a connection to the races of the dragon through either lineage (not possible) or a spiritual connection. Warforged have spirits and spirituality. Most likely, as the Dragon Wings feat is taken at level one, the wings were added during creation. Perhaps he was made to accompany a dragon, and thus needed to fly.

Considering that the feats give barely anything to me other than the possibility of wings, losing a 'huge' amount of money, defenses, and movement would make the whole thing a pointless venture. Sure, I could fly, but I wouldn't have much gold left for magic items, I would be less mobile on the ground (where most things take place) and I would be down two feats.

As for the session, Monday or Tuesday would be fine by me.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 244