Poll

What day should regular sessions be on?

Saturdays!
- 17 (77.3%)
Sundays!
- 5 (22.7%)

Total Members Voted: 22

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 244

Author Topic: D&D 3.5- Western Marches: dead and gone (RIP)  (Read 300609 times)

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5 - Western Marches (game on Saturday) (always recruiting)
« Reply #1935 on: July 03, 2011, 12:16:19 am »

Locate object is a spell Myst knows that could find the item, it would take a good long while to search the city with it, but they could logically start at the docks and all the new folk brought in to find the new menace. Always suspect the foreigners, which we are...

Anyway, the forge should be as good as a sheet of lead, which should block most stuff. Or we could try one of those stasis boxes that the library gave us. And Mael apparently has a lead box, which may be combined with one of the other approaches or just leave it buried someplace and wait to see if they manage to find it regardless.

I am interested in pursuing magical research at some point, I am wondering about the D.M.s view on the following spell:
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: July 03, 2011, 12:55:42 am »

Hunted Trait + 7 Ranks of Spot, Would that classify as "Spot 10 Ranks" for the purpose of getting the feat "Deft Strike"?
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: July 03, 2011, 01:04:21 am »

Myst: perhaps have something where water removed from the source loses its alignment? Otherwise that+dust of dryness can be used for all sorts of purposes. Want to assassinate, say, Demogorgon? 100 gallons of Holy or Lawful water produced at effectively 10 gp to the gallon. How much damage is that? Lots.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1938 on: July 03, 2011, 01:42:31 am »

Okay, so here's a pair of Journals.

Edit: Got the sheet ready. This character will be a Spellthief. It has some very interesting abilities that I'm looking forward to playing with. It also has the ability to detect and disable traps, which is a skill that is not very well represented in the group.
Physical description, She's a 15 year old halfling, and probably looks about the size of a toddler, although a bit more developed than that. She'll be wearing desert clothing most likely when she is seen. She has Brown Hair and Brown eyes, and has a family resemblance to Andre.
Stihe Clearwater
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 03:43:18 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: July 03, 2011, 03:36:42 am »

RAM, I don't believe clerics can do magical research.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: July 03, 2011, 11:26:01 am »

Andre Clearwater finds it hard to write a response. He had made peace with the fact that his family and friends were not going to follow his path, and probably had disowned him. To get a letter from his sister Stihe, warmed his heart. Maybe she was looking for a new life as well?

Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Theoboldi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: July 03, 2011, 12:06:29 pm »

Journal Time!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also, here is a little homebrewed spell which I made after our recent arguments.

Spoiler: Vader's Choking Hand (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:40:19 pm by Theoboldi »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: July 03, 2011, 01:15:05 pm »

(Enclosed is a fresh petal from a flower)
Aww, you sent her flowers ;)

Shoruke, Some Questions

Pickpocketing Questions
A couple of things... Are we using Pickpocketing as a direct Slight of hand check, or can we do this?
I'm a little unhappy with the difficulty from a slight of hand to do a pickpocketing attempt, since it's the same check to do a Great performance, so I am hoping for the variant rule.

Spelltheft Questions
If the spell is a willing gift from a spontaneous caster like a Sorcerer, does it still disable that spell for 1 minute? (10 rounds is a long time for a sorcerer to be unable to cast their spell. I can see it being so if the spellthief was "rough", but it seems like a lot for a gift.)
Spells for spelltheft in non-combat theft, how is that going to be done? It says in lieu of 1d6 sneak attack, which makes me think it's about the element of surprise. I think it might fit as a Bluff check, like a Non-Combat Faint. Is this correct?
Would stealing a spell be immediately apparent to the victim? Nothing will say "Fun times" like breaking into a church and stealing their healing spells in addition to their most precious artifacts :)
Are creatures that are immune to critical hits invulnerable to spelltheft? Liches are the things I am thinking of off the top of my head. It says refer to the Rogue's Sneak attack, but it seems silly that stealing spells is justified by hitting someone in the liver or whatnot.

Thieves Guilds Questions
Does Spelltheft register on a Typical Thieves guild radar? Am I gonna have to worry about percentages to the local boys for doing a little cutbooking on the side? ;)

Metamagic Questions
Does Eschew Materials work with stolen spells, or does this count too much like Metamagic?
If a Sorcerer is gifting a spell, can they gift it with Metamagic applied to it?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: July 03, 2011, 01:47:10 pm »

RAM, I don't believe clerics can do magical research.

Counterpoint.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: July 03, 2011, 02:34:18 pm »

Another question, Handy Haversack for a Small character, does it still weigh 5 Lbs?

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: July 03, 2011, 02:59:38 pm »

Request. Cheese Golem. 35 gold, Nigh-infinite stats.

Storm Elemental for summoning (Monster Manual III Page 48)
I can PM you the stats, but suggested summoning stuff is basically "Summon at one spell level higher than normal elementals":

Small: Summon Monster IV/Summon Nature's Ally III
Medium: SM VI/SNA V
Large: SM VII/SNA VI
Huge: SM VIII/SNA VII
Greater: SM IX/ SNA VIII

Also, I just realized that Animal Companions get standard ability score increases at multiples of 4. Fixifying.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: July 03, 2011, 09:03:08 pm »

Myst: perhaps have something where water removed from the source loses its alignment? Otherwise that+dust of dryness can be used for all sorts of purposes. Want to assassinate, say, Demogorgon? 100 gallons of Holy or Lawful water produced at effectively 10 gp to the gallon. How much damage is that? Lots.
All water within the radius will be regarded as having the alignment of the deity, causing in 2d4 damage per round to outsiders or undead with an opposed alignment.
I read it to be that the alignment is a property of the radius and that the water is not permanently affected. I also tried to word it such that the damage was fixed, and would not inflict any further damage even if the creature was completely immersed. But text to that affect would be welcome... It is probably broken to have the water truly be appropriately aligned water, as that would allow it to be used as spell components and such. What I really want out of it is an ability to permanently 'bless' a water-course to my deity. Once they have enough such sites blessed to them they should be able to manifest a major servant or something to renew their influence in this part of the world.

As for divine research, I would envision it as more of a case of the deity coming up with a spell and the cleric recieving it. It would probably require some sort of special conditioning or something on the part of the cleric due to the spell's lack of generations worth of refinement for clerical spellcasting or some similar justification for a cleric to spend reasearching resources. Of course, given that clerics can worship an alignment or ideal, it is probably that the clerics recieve pure divine energy and can shape it into whatever spells they want...

P.S.
 I would suggest that if someone was spotted making a disarm attempt that they could take an attack of opportunity, just as a rogue who spots their ambushers and wins initiative can act before the ambushers do...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 09:07:14 pm by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1947 on: July 03, 2011, 10:17:32 pm »

P.S.
 I would suggest that if someone was spotted making a disarm attempt that they could take an attack of opportunity, just as a rogue who spots their ambushers and wins initiative can act before the ambushers do...
Is this referencing the Revised Pickpocket variant stuff?

I thought that it covered that, it says
If your attempt to hide the pickpocketing fails, your attempt provokes an attack of opportunity from the target.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: July 03, 2011, 11:49:27 pm »

Disarm already incurs an AoO without the Improved Disarm feat.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:23 am »

It is in reference to the revised pickpocket variant, which states that the first pickpocket attempt is exempt from attacks of opportunity. The bit about stopping the attack with an AoO appears to only apply to multiple attempts immediately after the first...
Read the First Post!
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 244