Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Patrician IV  (Read 27967 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Patrician IV
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 05:56:30 am »

You can capture enemy ships. You must have attacked a pirate convoy to do so. Sink all but 1 ship, then reduce that last ship to 0 cannons and they should surrender. Or so says the manual anyway.

Brons

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 07:15:53 am »

Yeah, I realize you can gain ships if they surrender. But you can't board them like in every other naval game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 07:16:42 am »

Yeah, I realize you can gain ships if they surrender. But you can't board them like in every other naval game.

Including Patrician 3

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 10:22:08 am »

-Snip-
Yeah, Naval combat kinda blows.
The AI is out right retarded and shoots my own ships, does some pirouette with the enemies or collides.
All munitions acts the same, i.e. a burst salvo of balls rather than a broadside.
Chain shots? what's the point. Sink two ships fast and pelt the last one till 1/8th hull and then shoot it with grape shots. Ship Gained.

Seberto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2010, 04:40:28 pm »

I've been playing Patrcian IV for some hours, and now I've got an assignment where I have to the naval blockade from Aalborg, and then I've been told to stop them. But I can't attack them with my convoy, because none of the ships are warships. Then they say that I can make the tradeships into warships in the ahipyard.

Then my question is: Where in the shipyard do I make the tradeships into warships?  :D

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2010, 07:43:32 pm »

Ergh. I don't really recall but select your convoy and i think you have to click on the individual ships in one of the rightside menues, the there should be a little gem-thing you can click that makes them a warship

Seberto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2010, 04:42:53 am »

Ergh. I don't really recall but select your convoy and i think you have to click on the individual ships in one of the rightside menues, the there should be a little gem-thing you can click that makes them a warship

Hmm, okay, I'll try :)

Seberto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2010, 07:52:00 am »

Yeah, it worked :) Thanks ;)

How do you make the automatic trade routes earn money? Every time I set the captain to buy and sell by himself, I pay more taxes and salary, than I earn...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2010, 08:25:00 am »

Didn't use automatic trade much. use a small vessel and pick the route lübeck malmö Aalborg, It will work but not as well as if you did it manualy

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2010, 11:31:28 am »

I have only played Patrician 3, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

In my experience auto trading as plain trading is just a money hole. What you want to do is set up trade offices in multiple cities, produce a set of your own goods (beer, iron goods, wine and meat are profitable), and use auto routes to distribute goods among your offices. Then you just set acceptable sale prices in those. You'll need to fine tune the whole system now and then by adding more ships to convoys, changing sale prices, building additional production facilities etc, but overall it's a bit more manageable than using routes for buying goods from towns, and it's a lot more profitable.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Seberto

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2010, 03:12:47 pm »

Is it possible to take your own produced goods, directly from the counting house and drop them in your convoy, or do you absolutely have to sell your own produced goods, and then buy them again afterwards in the market hall?

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2010, 03:43:59 pm »

You can change between Market - Convoy // Market - Warehouse // Warehouse - Convoy
I think you'd press somewhere on the top of the window to change.
But you will have to sell building materials to get it used for that. they wont take it from your warehouse.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2010, 08:11:36 pm »

I have only played Patrician 3, so take my experience with a grain of salt.

In my experience auto trading as plain trading is just a money hole. What you want to do is set up trade offices in multiple cities, produce a set of your own goods (beer, iron goods, wine and meat are profitable), and use auto routes to distribute goods among your offices. Then you just set acceptable sale prices in those. You'll need to fine tune the whole system now and then by adding more ships to convoys, changing sale prices, building additional production facilities etc, but overall it's a bit more manageable than using routes for buying goods from towns, and it's a lot more profitable.
I only played Port Royale 2, and not a single Patrician game, so take my experience with even more salt:

What I did was to create one convoy which gets all the goods you produce from all over the gameworld and brings it to a central hub city. If you want/need to, you can make that convoy transport resources needed for production, as well.

Then, in the central hub, load up a different convoy with all the stuff you produced, and set it to autotrade with the cities you desire.

That way, you don't need to adjust prices in the offices. If the trading captain AI is smart enough, that is.

If done right (and if the game allows it), all you need to do is add ships once in a while. (Since convoy size is probably limited, that means new convoys, too, once in a while, but you can just copy ye olde ones.) Oh, and you need to add production facilites from time to time, too, of course.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 08:15:28 pm by Puck »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2010, 10:42:08 pm »

That would work, but you would need a LOT of warehouses in the hub city or you'd be paying a fortune in storage fees.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 06:35:58 am »

One Trading center for every 3-4 cities with important produce, some ships to ship produce to your other Trade centers and some that goes to the nearby cities selling the produce from the trade center
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4